Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 AM

5 posts, read 9,712 times

Advertisements

I've been living in America with my wife for the last 5 years. We had no real plans to come back to Australia but we just had a baby 9 months ago and it just seems like the economy is doing so much better in Australia and things in the states are pretty depressing on many levels. We lived the whole time in Santa Cruz, California (kind of a weird place) and would like to give another U.S. city a chance but coming home seems like an attractive proposition.

Any one been in the same position and how did it work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 AM

63 posts, read 131,878 times
All I can say is that we did just that, except we moved back pre-baby. We were living in Seattle but we came back to Melbourne a couple months ago. The economy, aggressive politics, crime and crushed civil liberties (ie US Airport Security, FICO Credit Scores, Health Insurance) all got a bit much. In those respects, the grass is greener over here.

It's not all beer and skittles though; we do miss the beautiful landscape, the generosity and friendliness, the sports, the holidays and the 'can-do' attitude. But in the end our head won the argument over our hearts. We'll pacify ourselves with annual trips to the US which we can afford both financially and in time off.

But if I was to stay in the US; I like Seattle, Portland, LA, Boulder CO and I love Chicago (but the winters are too hard to live through!)

It is good to be back though.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Trying another state would be cheaper, easier and less risky.

Our economy is doing very well, for now, but it's very expensive here, so keep that in mind. Housing, food, cars, petrol, clothes, interest rates, and everything else. Private health insurance is about $3,000/yr for a family and doctor's visits still cost you at least $30 out of pocket.

We moved here from Canada but are heading back. It's been great but it's too isolated for us and too expensive to think about retiring here. By leaving my husband can retire early, and live the sort of retirement more to our liking. We have no option of trying another state, as it's all expensive and isolated.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Trying another state would be cheaper, easier and less risky.

Our economy is doing very well, for now, but it's very expensive here, so keep that in mind. Housing, food, cars, petrol, clothes, interest rates, and everything else. Private health insurance is about $3,000/yr for a family and doctor's visits still cost you at least $30 out of pocket.

We moved here from Canada but are heading back. It's been great but it's too isolated for us and too expensive to think about retiring here. By leaving my husband can retire early, and live the sort of retirement more to our liking. We have no option of trying another state, as it's all expensive and isolated.
We have considered a move to Melbourne but am finding myself looking more and more at For Sale sites in London,a city very much in vouge in Europe and with the strong dollar find it very tempting indeed.

Who would have ever thought that there would come a time when London for many things could be seen as cheaper than Australia?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
We have considered a move to Melbourne but am finding myself looking more and more at For Sale sites in London,a city very much in vouge in Europe and with the strong dollar find it very tempting indeed.

Who would have ever thought that there would come a time when London for many things could be seen as cheaper than Australia?
I know, who would have thought! Good friends of ours, Poms, are heading back mid-year. After their recent visit back, and crunching the numbers, they know they'll be better off back there now. Plus, they miss their little trips over to Spain, France, Italy, etc. or out to the villages and towns nearby. Just a whole different life there. And Perth, or Oz, is heaven for many, just not for all.

Good luck with your own plans to move. Your heart seems to be there already!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:55 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
It's funny that Australia could possibly be the most expensive larger country to live in, in the world now. The housing market is insane.

If I go back down under this year it will be brief. I have a big plan to drive across Australia but with the dollar at 1.07 it aint happenin anytime soon. If it was at .65 that would be fine, but it's too much right now.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's funny that Australia could possibly be the most expensive larger country to live in, in the world now. The housing market is insane.

If I go back down under this year it will be brief. I have a big plan to drive across Australia but with the dollar at 1.07 it aint happenin anytime soon. If it was at .65 that would be fine, but it's too much right now.
Tough luck there, wanneroo! You've often stated your wish for the AUD to go low so you can visit but who'd a thought it'd go so high! I don't understand the whole currency world ... is it that the USD is weak? or the AUD strong? or both? or something totally different? It seems if you knew the process well you could make a whack of money on exchanging currency.

Trimac must be jumping for joy though.

If the carbon tax gets through the COL here will get worse. Unless you're low income, then you'll be better off, apparently. Maybe.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:58 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
I know, who would have thought! Good friends of ours, Poms, are heading back mid-year. After their recent visit back, and crunching the numbers, they know they'll be better off back there now. Plus, they miss their little trips over to Spain, France, Italy, etc. or out to the villages and towns nearby. Just a whole different life there. And Perth, or Oz, is heaven for many, just not for all.

Good luck with your own plans to move. Your heart seems to be there already!
With the dollar being what it is am at this stage only considering to purchase in London as in the longer term feel the prestige and influence of that city will only grow.
Do not expect the Aussie dollar to remain at such levels for long and indeed to return to more historical levels where it will likely remain.
Once interest rates rise in the UK it could be expected more outside money will enter that country.
On top of that Commodity Currencies,namely the Canadian and Australian dollars will decline...by then may well be too late to be able to get something decent there.

Have heard of a fair number of Brits returning from Canada as well,with comments almost identical to the Aussie based Poms.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Quote:
I don't understand the whole currency world ... is it that the USD is weak? or the AUD strong? or both? or something totally different? It seems if you knew the process well you could make a whack of money on exchanging currency.

Trimac must be jumping for joy though.

If the carbon tax gets through the COL here will get worse. Unless you're low income, then you'll be better off, apparently. Maybe.
As far as I understand it, the main reason for the increase in the value of the Australian dollar against the US dollar is the weakness of the US economy, combined with a strong Australian economy. Plus the US and Australia have different economic policies. In the USA, the focus has been on keeping interest rates low. In Australia, keeping inflation from going bananas is the key priority so interest rates have increased quite often in the last ten years or so. Also our good balance of trade figures (largely courtesy of the mining boom) keep the Aussie dollar high.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post

Even London, the most expensive city in UK, has lower COL than the cheapest places in Australia?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand