Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
that's an interesting observation! the humidity up north, for the settlers was too much?
Not to mention tropical diseases, suffocating fashion and the wrong climate to grow english staples like potatoes and carrots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 3,819 times
Population of 40 million is still way too small. Calling it "Big Australia" is laughable.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
that's an interesting observation! the humidity up north, for the settlers was too much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Not to mention tropical diseases, suffocating fashion and the wrong climate to grow english staples like potatoes and carrots.
And it'd probably be hard to increase the population up there with everybody being eaten by crocs or poisoned by jellyfish and snakes.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Lot of Americans here that own houses in Florida, don't stay during "summer" due to the extreme heat and humidity. Pretty much if you weren't born and raised in a tropical location, adjusting is much harder without racking up quite the electric bill. I'm lucky to have been born and raised in a Cairns-like climate so adjusting again only will take me a few months

Old 05-18-2011, 11:57 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Yeah, now with modern appliances, its okay.. I guess it was more the "early settlers" coming from England, not being able to cope up north.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
The first time I heard about it was when Julila Gillard stated she does not support an Big Australia.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
The first time I heard about it was when Julila Gillard stated she does not support an Big Australia.
Yeah, but would you believe anything she says?

Besides, it's what Brown supports or wants, or one of the three "independents", that counts.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Problem is, Australia seems to lack huge underground aquifers like the U.S. has in the western Plains and large rivers running through the desert regions (think the Colorado and Gila Rivers in Arizona) that are consistently supplied with an abundant supply of water from melting snowpack in the Rockies and other high mountain chains.

The best they could do would be to undertake a project like the Trans-Alaska pipeline but instead of oil it would channel desalinated water into the interior into a massive man-made reservoir to use. But that is undoubtedly going to cost in the hundreds of billions.
I used to visit a message board devoted to space exploration where one of the big topics was terraforming Mars in specific and anywhere in general. One of the posters was Australian, and he had a rather novel take on water in Australia. Basically he felt manmade mountain ranges (enormous inflated structures actually) should be placed in the deserts to force orographic precipitation which could be collected and then channeled to wherever it was needed. According to him (and here I have no idea how accurate he was though the scheme is feasible in concept though perhaps not in Australia and specifically its deserts) there was plenty of water in the air over Australia for most of the year, but as there weren't a lot of high mountains there was nothing to really force precipitation as there is in other parts of the world. Good luck getting that by an environmentalist though.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I used to visit a message board devoted to space exploration where one of the big topics was terraforming Mars in specific and anywhere in general. One of the posters was Australian, and he had a rather novel take on water in Australia. Basically he felt manmade mountain ranges (enormous inflated structures actually) should be placed in the deserts to force orographic precipitation which could be collected and then channeled to wherever it was needed. According to him (and here I have no idea how accurate he was though the scheme is feasible in concept though perhaps not in Australia and specifically its deserts) there was plenty of water in the air over Australia for most of the year, but as there weren't a lot of high mountains there was nothing to really force precipitation as there is in other parts of the world. Good luck getting that by an environmentalist though.
Inflatable structures what, 4-5 kilometres high? I'd like to see that, haha.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Indeedily doodily. The world needs the Big Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand