Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
In terms of "heat" being a reason to avoid living Perth, here are some stats:

Perth Regional Office:

54.5 days a year at or above 30 C/86 F (hardly the whole summer )
17.2 days a year at or above 35 C/95 F (35 C in Perth feels like 30-32 C in Toronto or Eastern USA )
1.8 days a year at or above 40 C/104 F (a few one-off days)

Now for chill, here's Canada's balmy Vancouver Intl Airport:

4 days a year below 0 C/ 32 F (that's twice as often as Perth sees 40+ C )
120 days a year below 10 C/ 50 F (brrr!)
296 days a year below 20 C/ 68 F (keep your shorts in your dresser )

Compared with even the best city Canada has to offer,
the concern of "heat" loses weight, especially the number of days of discomfort.

I have seen very few people who are miserable at 29 C/84 F with low humidity,
and that's about the most heat Perth sees 310 days a year.

Actually, Vancouver gets 46 frost days a year.. so much more than 4.. I wish it was only 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Actually, Vancouver gets 46 frost days a year.. so much more than 4.. I wish it was only 4
Actually that was the stat for afternoon highs, warmest time of the day, not exceeding 0 C.
That's why I felt comfortable saying "days below 0 C" because its the entire day.

Even Perth gets frost so if you hate that,
going to Perth airport in winter (30km east of the coast?) could give you a surprise.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:50 AM

If there are many people in Perth who find the heat excessive, what in particular is bugging them?

Is 25 C/77 F and sunshine too much? They get that nearly half the year.

Are the 41 days between 30-34 C (30+ days minus 35+ C days) really hard enough to deal with that you'd want to live elsewhere?

I'm honestly stumped, so if anyone would like to suggest issues with "heat in Perth," I'd be happy to hear them.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
If there are many people in Perth who find the heat excessive, what in particular is bugging them?

Is 25 C/77 F and sunshine too much? They get that nearly half the year.

Are the 41 days between 30-34 C (30+ days minus 35+ C days) really hard enough to deal with that you'd want to live elsewhere?

I'm honestly stumped, so if anyone would like to suggest issues with "heat in Perth," I'd be happy to hear them.
The climatic averages are misleading because recent years have been hotter than the long-term average. It seems typical rather than unusual to average maxima in the mid 30s in January and February, with strongs of days above 37C pretty commonplace it's just seen as typical summer weather. I think the tendency to have 40C+ conditions every year makes Perth seem alot hotter than the averages would suggest. I think a lack of rain-bearing systems to cool things off also add to the perception of relentless heat.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The climatic averages are misleading because recent years have been hotter than the long-term average. It seems typical rather than unusual to average maxima in the mid 30s in January and February, with strongs of days above 37C pretty commonplace it's just seen as typical summer weather. I think the tendency to have 40C+ conditions every year makes Perth seem alot hotter than the averages would suggest. I think a lack of rain-bearing systems to cool things off also add to the perception of relentless heat.
Thanks mate.
Honestly though, most, if not all Australian cities are "too...something" these days with regards to weather.
Better some dry heat and sun than too much rain, cold or storms imho.

I find Perth's perception more appealing than Perth's long term averages.

37 C in Perth feels like 33 C in Toronto; tedious if I'm in the mood where I don't want heat but still not terrible.
But maybe it's better to convince Eastern-Staters it's too hot in Perth...

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 05-27-2011 at 06:29 AM..

Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Some main factors contributing to this:
It's a very long way from the populated 'Boomerang coast'. Quite isolated. Too boring/quiet. Hot and dry. Very, very expensive for property.
The 'main' reason people are moving there in droves is for the work and wages which is, currently, plentiful and high.
Working the mines can earn over $100,000 - $120,000 per annum but the lack of composolitian lifestyle can make it quite unbearable.
One of my best friends hails from Perth, moved to Melbourne over 20 years ago & is still living there. He loves the cloudy and cold weather and will never ever move back to Perth again. He has 4 brothers and 4 sisters - they're all, bar three; one living in Auckland, NZ, another in Brisbane and the third one in London, - moved to Melbourne and enjoying life much more as I know it.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM

17 posts, read 58,883 times
Perth is a hole, that is being polite. A city of bogans on the waterfront. They don't even have 7-11 stores.

There is nothing cosmopolitan about Perth and there is no culture. I used to go there regularly for work, even their 5 star hotels are outdated. I literally stayed in the hotel 24/7 as there is simply nothing to do.

If we are talking population, quite a few people actually live there. Most are born and bred, few move to there. There isn't enough big business there to attract more people.

I was at a juice bar with my ipod earphones on and a man gestured for me to take them off and asked where I was from. Noone in Melbourne would strike up a conversation with someone ask where they were from. I had to try not to pull a wtf face when he gestured me to take off my earphones.

He was being nice obviously (I wasn't dressed weird, unsure why he knew I was from interstate), but if he told someone to take of their earphones in the East, he might be some attitude.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:15 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournian87 View Post
Perth is a hole, that is being polite. A city of bogans on the waterfront. They don't even have 7-11 stores.

There is nothing cosmopolitan about Perth and there is no culture. I used to go there regularly for work, even their 5 star hotels are outdated. I literally stayed in the hotel 24/7 as there is simply nothing to do.

If we are talking population, quite a few people actually live there. Most are born and bred, few move to there. There isn't enough big business there to attract more people.

I was at a juice bar with my ipod earphones on and a man gestured for me to take them off and asked where I was from. Noone in Melbourne would strike up a conversation with someone ask where they were from. I had to try not to pull a wtf face when he gestured me to take off my earphones.

He was being nice obviously (I wasn't dressed weird, unsure why he knew I was from interstate), but if he told someone to take of their earphones in the East, he might be some attitude.
I would agree with you on places like Rockingham and Mandurah, but not so Perth - although I did not spend a lot of time there.
You don't have to answer the question -""where are you from""?
I did not meet a lot of Easterners in WA, certainly not compared with the sheer volume from the UK - which still sustain the population growth in WA in many ways.
There were more Easterners in rural areas like Esperance, many from NSW - especially from the Riverina area, and some from SA. Most Easterners on the West coast were from Victoria.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Given the course of world events and the sorts of things going on - I don't think the residents of Perth and the rest of WA mind (being geographicaly isolated and lightly populated).

"Splendid isolation" can't be all that bad.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,396 times
Quite a few people from Perth have moved to Tasmania in recent years due to the summer heat in Perth.

Last edited by cushla; 06-02-2011 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: not enought info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand