Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 AM

17 posts, read 32,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I don't know yet, when the weather is nice i guess.
I will be 21 on June 19th.
Well, if you plan on celebrating your 21st in Australia, it is a cold time of the year!

If you want to party hard, Sydney is your answer.
It has your partyhard till you puke, like someone posted earlier, but also has a chic bar scene at the same time.

Sydney is a big city, some of these places may be a bit out of the way, unlike Melbourne, everything is relatively close by. Easy access and will be cheaper to get around.

Both cities i find have a dresscode and depending on the popularity of the place, the harder it is to get in. I find that Melbourne is more strict on the girl/guy ratio in certain clubs.

You will have a good time in either of these cities, you can't go wrong.

But like i originally said, gold coast is just a party town, for maybe 1 week over november/december/january but not much else in terms of touristy things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 PM

10,648 posts, read 15,918,583 times
Do you think 10 days Melbourne + 10 days Sydney (by train) somewhere between November & March is a good idea?

I rather take the 2 cities in one trip you know.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 PM

4,158 posts, read 4,819,912 times
Quote:
Do you think 10 days Melbourne + 10 days Sydney (by train) somewhere between November & March is a good idea?

Fly, don't bother with trains. The journey is not particularly interesting.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 AM

17 posts, read 32,703 times
Quote:

Perfect!!

I agree with BCC_1, fly!! It costs the same or cheaper and it'll get you there faster. (roughly around the 1hr mark)

Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Okay thank you guys.
I will fly. I think it's better for me to go to the 2 cities in 1 trip so i can compare them better and know which place to go or not to go when i go back to Australia.

After this trip, i will probably visit the Brisbane-Gold Coast area the next time.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,948,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Fly, don't bother with trains. The journey is not particularly interesting.
Well if you not flying between Sydney and Melbourne, the best journey would be the coastal route. There are buses that go that journey or you can hire an car. The journey along the coastal route is excellent. But the inland route is not so good.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well if you not flying between Sydney and Melbourne, the best journey would be the coastal route. There are buses that go that journey or you can hire an car. The journey along the coastal route is excellent. But the inland route is not so good.
But is the road interesting, easy and safe enough for a young foreign guy alone?
It's like 1000 km if i take the coastal route, okay but i want to do it within 24 hours. Do you think thats possible?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,948,352 times
Quote:
But is the road interesting, easy and safe enough for a young foreign guy alone?
It's like 1000 km if i take the coastal route, okay but i want to do it within 24 hours. Do you think thats possible?
Well you can do it within 24 hours, and the journey is 14 hours. If you staying in an hostel you can ask for people to share to drive.

Everyone I known that did that drive enjoyed it. But if you feel that 14 hours is too long then you can do an day trip from Sydney to blue mts or Melbourne to the great ocean route.

here is an route map of sydney to melbourne in more detail coastal route.

Sydney to Melbourne Coastal Drive - Touring - Victoria, Australia

Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 PM

4,158 posts, read 4,819,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
It's a nice enough journey, although not really something to go out of your way for, but at that time of the year the weather is likely to be cold and wet. The bus would be the least desirable method, IMO. I'd rather take the train. And I'm assuming the OP is a backpacker or at least on a tight budget. If that's the case hiring a car isn't going to be cheap once you add 2-3 days car hire + fuel + one way rental surcharge (which can run to $100+).

I wouldn't advise trying to do it by yourself in one day either. Australian highways (outside of a few roads close to capital cities) are not comparable to European motorways or the Interstate system in the US. They will usually be single carriageway as the Princes Highway is from about Nowra right the way down to Victoria.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 PM

630 posts, read 1,045,802 times
is Melbourne still good for 30+?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand