Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:20 PM

10,642 posts, read 15,876,921 times

Advertisements

Young guy, traveling alone looking to party 24/7 and meet new people.
Best Australian city for that is? btw i dont like dry air...

Rank them please.

Brisbane
Gold Goast
Melbourne
Perth
Sydney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 AM

14,772 posts, read 17,003,677 times
1. Melbourne
2. Sydney
3. Gold Coast
4. Brisbane

Old 05-31-2011, 12:36 AM

17 posts, read 32,663 times
What time of the year are you planning on going?

Depending on your age.

1. Gold Coast - especially if you plan on going around Nov/Dec or our summer months (if not... then Sydney 1st and move Gold Coast to 3rd.)
2. Sydney
3. Melbourne

Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 AM

5,875 posts, read 5,776,806 times
Whole East Coast as a backpacker was party time every night.
To pick cities i would say
Sydney
Melbourne
Cairns
Darwin

Never been to Gold Coast,but if you are young and like it fast and hard leave out Adelaide and Perth.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 58,463 times
Melbourne has the best clubs and bars in Australia. Literally there are multiple bars and clubs on every block worth visiting. Everything worth visiting is in the CBD or inner suburbs. Melbourne has a large University population, if you're under 28 - Melbourne is an excellent city to be in. Melbourne can be cliquey but all in all people are friendly and talk to strangers. Everyone drinks there, heavily. Melbourne has strict door policies on some places, but not places worth visiting. If you physically know where to go, that's usually enough. They are tough on boy/girl ratios though.

Sydney has some decent bars and would be second, but it doesn't really compare to Melbourne. Every new "hip" bar in Sydney is owned by Melbourne expats. The CBD is ****, you will need to travel to the suburbs to find decent places. Sydney people are more outdoorsy than Melbourne people due to the warmer weather. There is plenty of bars and clubs but people don't seem to go as hard, they are more health orientated. Sydney can have very strict door policies, beware.

Perth has a huge drug and party culture, but it's not very sophisticated. Lots of young men there working in mines and playing up on the weekends. It's always warm there, so people are always up for a good time.

Brisbane has some decent bars and clubs, mostly refined to the one suburb. It's a small city, but there are options there. The GC has a schoolies party vibe, otherwise it's boring town.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 AM

10,642 posts, read 15,876,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist99 View Post
What time of the year are you planning on going?

Depending on your age.

1. Gold Coast - especially if you plan on going around Nov/Dec or our summer months (if not... then Sydney 1st and move Gold Coast to 3rd.)
2. Sydney
3. Melbourne

I don't know yet, when the weather is nice i guess.
I will be 21 on June 19th.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 PM

392 posts, read 590,567 times
From almost everyone I've even met in Can/USA that have been to Australia Sydney is by far the best known but almost all prefered Melbourne.
Melbourne has a reputation as being a martini............tasteful, inviting, refined
Sydney is more like a Fosters............drink and party til you puke

Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,933,915 times
Sydney is the best city. It has an great harbour, easy access to the beach. Since I am an beach type of person Sydney is an better city for that than Melbourne.

I have lived in Melbourne and even though its nice I found it an bit too over rated. I found the people in Melbourne an little more cliquey than Sydney yet you can have an good time there.

Brisbane is ok but an bit boring. Yet its quite laid back and its best if you lived in that city to have an car as the public transport is not as extensive as Sydney or Melbourne.

Gold Coast is ok as well. You can have an good time there esp at Surfers Paradise. It has great beaches too. But I found the place somewhat boring as well.

Perth I never been there but from what I hear its very laid back city and boring

Last edited by other99; 05-31-2011 at 06:52 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 PM

4,153 posts, read 4,795,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Sydney is more like a Fosters............drink and party til you puke
Err...no.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM

14,772 posts, read 17,003,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Sydney is the best city. It has an great harbour, easy access to the beach. Since I am an beach type of person Sydney is an better city for that than Melbourne.

I have lived in Melbourne and even though its nice I found it an bit too over rated. I found the people in Melbourne an little more cliquey than Sydney yet you can have an good time there.

Brisbane is ok but an bit boring. Yet its quite laid back and its best if you lived in that city to have an car as the public transport is not as extensive as Sydney or Melbourne.

Gold Coast is ok as well. You can have an good time there esp at Surfers Paradise. It has great beaches too. But I found the place somewhat boring as well.

Perth I never been there but from what I hear its very laid back city and boring
First time I've heard that.

I'm from Melbourne, so I know I'm biased ~ but I do prefer the bar/club scene there.. depends what you're into OP

If its just beer barns you'll love Sydney....

If its bars with a funkier vibe, melbourne...

although Sydney has been taking notice of Melbourne and its bar scene has improved quite a bit in the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand