Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 PM

12 posts, read 45,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiekiwi99 View Post
Biggest thing I've noticed is that you're much more likely and much easier to strike up a conversation with a stranger in the US than in Aus. Don't know whether thats down to americans being friendlier or Aussies being more private...or both.
As an American who spent a couple weeks in Australia, I'd agree with this. I found the two countries much more similar than I had ever imagined (after having spent most of my time abroad in Europe), but I did notice that many Aussies were more reserved. That's not to say that it's bad at all but just an observation. If I ever had to live anywhere else, I'd pick Oz in an instant.

For the OP, try searching for scenic routes online. At least up home in MN, there's nothing pretty about any stretch of interstate, but there are plenty of good U.S. Hwys to and through some wonderful locales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Rude bus drivers aren't the norm in North America.
I've experienced very helpful drivers in both the GTA and Vancouver.

The rudest experience I've had with bus drivers were actually in Perth, Western Australia.
One time I waited 20 minutes for a bus at a designated bus stop.
When one finally showed up...
I looked at him, he glared at me for nearly 10 seconds and instead of stopping,
he passes me at 3mph! (5km/h) and keeping the doors shut
Maybe I should have thrown something at the bus to make him stop.

Go to CRACKER BARREL!
On a scale of 1-to-10, I'd rate their Southern specialty menu items (country fried steak, fried okra, chicken & dumplins etc.) a reliable 6-8.
That's Canada, remember...the bus/trolley drivers in LA, SD, Memphis etc were just overally really surly/impatient, although there were a few exceptions.

We did go to Cracker Barrel! They seem to be everywhere. Had 'chicken and dumplings' which was interesting, reminded me a bit of Dim Sum or something lol.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's Canada, remember...the bus/trolley drivers in LA, SD, Memphis etc were just overally really surly/impatient, although there were a few exceptions.
Now THAT'S something I can't weigh in on, as I've taken a bus something like twice in my almost 6 decades. The last time was the final 60 miles of the last leg of a train trip 10 years ago. I sat near the driver and we yakked about cigars and guns for the entire trip.

Quote:
We did go to Cracker Barrel! They seem to be everywhere.
Except the far West. Next time, try a Waffle House. (But they're not to be found in the far West either)

Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Interesting, Thanks Trimac.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
did you notice that even in remote areas the 4 lane highways that made moving from one place easy? Wish we had that on the drive from Adelaide to Melbourne where most roads were 2 lane roads. I must be one of the few that had no problems with service in restos or stores in Oz..

Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
I'd agree with everything the OP said. You really have to plan your trip in the U.S. otherwise you will see a whole lot of nothing. If you just drive along the road waiting to see stuff, you will see a lot of fast food places and strip malls. Many of the menial jobs are low pay so you are not going to get very good service. As far as government offices, I guess we just come to expect grumpy service. While you might be friendly to these people, many people can be rude to service workers if they don't get things the way they want, so I think they are always ready for that inevitable confrontation with a rude person.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
To find all the great places to eat, you have to get away from all the interstates and onto US and state highways.

There are whole books and tv shows(Food Channel, Travel Channel) today in the USA that are all about great non franchised places to eat.

I think the USA has the best selection in the world of great little places to find and eat at.

The interstates can trick you as you see a limited slice of a state, that is sectioned off for quick travel. A great example is Oklahoma, if you drive Interstate 40 across you'd think it's a boring place. But there are actually some cool "mountain" areas to visit like the Wichita Mountains, Talimena Trail and so on and some nice cities like OKC.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Just beyond

The United States has a lot of fantastic scenery, but to experience it best one really needs their own wheels.

As alluded to here, the path less taken is often best.There are superlative drives throughout the land from wetland, field, mountains to desert. If from coast to coast and wishing to experience this, the best route would involve some prior research and a winding, slower course along secondary roads.

New Mexico is a good case in point. While some beautiful country can be observed from the interstates, primarily not. In far southern New Mexico I-10 can seem rather bleak. Farther north I-40 has some interesting aspects between Albuquerque and the Arizona border, but again not the best. I-25, running north south, passes through a few beautiful areas, but otherwise a long drive. All these interstates will also present more traffic, particularly I-40, than one might otherwise prefer. If from east to west, an often truly fine route in the northern portion of the state would be US 64. One could enter The Land of Enchantment near Clayton to swing up to Raton, or more directly head to Springer, then in either event through Cimarron to pass through the lovely canyon and mountains to legendary Taos. From there west to climb into the southern flank of the San Juan Mountains beyond Tres Piedras. It is a lovely and often empty drive which will see one dropping down to high desert not far beyond the native Apache town of Dulce. Civilization, such as it is, does not come until Bloomfield and Farmington, and that thankfully past once west of Shiprock. From there west there are so many fine options in route. One of which could take one through the incredible cliffs, canyons and myriad fantasy of stone that is Zion National Park.

But a taste. And if interstates are to be appreciated, then in proper measure and route. In example I-70 between Denver, Colorado and Salina, Utah is one of the most beautiful drives in the nation, traversing both alpine mountains of snow capped peaks to a fantasy of high desert, which only hints at what lies south of it in southern Utah.

This best appreciated on one's own.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:10 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Thank you! I love these kinds of posts. It's interesting to see a country, especially your own, through a foreigner's point of view. I'll comment on your observations:

Quote:
G'day all, wondering if you've noticed my absence, I've been in the States for just over a month now, and generally loving it! It's everything I expected and then some! I won't go into the obvious differences, but just wanted to list some of the big things I noticed here vs at home:

The landscape: Obviously the US is very different to Australia, and the scenery can indeed be spectacular, but the one thing that surprised/disappointed me a bit was the scenery on many of the interstates. The scenery all the way from LA to NY was rather drab with the exception of LA to SD, SD to Vegas, and through much of Virginia. Texas was not at all how I expected: greener, but 'farm' looking and less 'ranchy' than expected, but also more boring. Didn't see any cowboys rounding up their steers, instead about 600 miles of tilled fields until the Hill Country outside Austin. Actually the Hill Country was the only really scenic part of Texas we crossed through, but I'm sure there are others. New Mexico was alot more agricultural/steppe-like and less desert and mountains (along the highway at least) than I imagined, and the drive was rather boring. Didn't see any giant cactus either! I think that's more southern Arizona though.
Interstates are generally flat, long, wide, and boring everywhere in the U.S. (there are some exceptions). US highways (for example, "US-2") and especially state highways are generally more scenic than interstates. Interstates are designed with the express intent of taking you from city A to city B in the quickest, most efficient (and usually least scenic) way as possible. State and U.S. highways run through small towns and are often scenic.

Quote:
The number of chain stores/fast food places on the interstates...I kind of miss the roadhouse in the middle of nowhere in the Aussie bush, here in the US you can't escape Wendy's or Denny's or whatever even in the most remote part of the country.
There's no real "remote" parts of the country on the interstates, by the very virtue of them being interstates, although there are certainly desolate parts. However, venture off the interstates and you'll find the equivalent to an Aussie roadhouse (or go to a truck stop).

Again, to really see the "remote" parts you'll have to drive off the interstate onto state and county highways.

Quote:
The number of billboards on the roads was rather overwhelming, I'm glad we haven't got to that stage!

The people: The first thing that struck me was how upfront Americans were compared to most Australians. I really do think some Americans get the wrong impression of Aussies from travellers. I actually did experience a bit of a culture shock after coming here...I think Americans are more likely to talk to strangers, stop to give you directions/help you out etc...They are certainly pretty outspoken in general, and if something is bothering them they are quick to speak out about it.
I think this tends to be an area in which Americans really vary regionally. Up here in Minnesota, people are often passive-aggressive but very rarely complain in a loud fashion; in New York, they are reputed to be much more outspoken. I do think Americans - in general - are more likely though to talk to strangers than a lot of people.

Quote:
As for service at stores.etc, it tends to be good or bad. At places where the employees receive tips, they can be very friendly and accommodating, but I do wonder how much of that is a way to earn money from tips. On the other hand, I find alot of bus drivers, people who work at the post office or any government department etc flat out cold and rather rude. Also, I actually find cashiers/service folk in Australia far friendlier/warm than those here in America. You get the sense you are just a number. Bus drivers were generally pretty bad, and it is common to get scolded and treated like you are an idiot by then. It's also fairly obvious most of them do not enjoy their job. In contrast bus drivers in Oz seem friendlier in general.
It's true that a lot of tipped employees simply put on a "nice" demeanor for the gratuities. I'd rather have this, though, than the type of snarly, rude waiter I've heard about (but never exactly had) in some countries where the income of the wait staff does not depend on tips.

I've had the same experience with some government employees as you. There was a certain office branch of the state government here that had a very bad reputation for snotty service, and indeed they deserved it. On the other hand, I think if you look around more you'll encounter government employees that are quite nice. When tips aren't involved, it really depends on the person and the type of day they've been having: some people do not let minor things get them down and are just naturally friendly, others are friendly only towards those they know and are easily irritated.

Quote:
Another thing I'll add for now, how dull alot of American downtowns are. Cities like Memphis had nice but rather deserted downtown areas compared to similar sized Australian cities, aside from a few designated entertainment districts, and it seemed there are alot fewer shops etc. American cities are far more suburban-centric in a sense than Australian cities, which are already pretty suburban but have a more radial structure.

Just some thoughts for now, feel free to comment/agree/disagree as always!
That's certainly the case, at least in some cities. Actually, wherever I've been - and admittedly I've only really "experienced" four countries - Costa Rica, Spain, Mexico, or Morocco - the downtowns are much more active than your typical American downtown.

Most Americans shop at suburban discount warehouses or in suburban shopping malls. Downtowns (at least around here) are often occupied by vacant buildings, tourist stores and boutiques, and specialty stores. Even the drinking and nightlife has largely moved to the suburbs - the Twin Cities' CHR (top 40) FM station, for example, always does a live broadcast from some nightclub in the suburbs on Friday nights, and a lot of people prefer to spend their evenings out at, say, Applebee's (an American, usually suburban, restaurant chain, in case you already didn't know).

Old 07-01-2011, 01:39 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

That's certainly the case, at least in some cities. Actually, wherever I've been - and admittedly I've only really "experienced" four countries - Costa Rica, Spain, Mexico, or Morocco - the downtowns are much more active than your typical American downtown.

Most Americans shop at suburban discount warehouses or in suburban shopping malls. Downtowns (at least around here) are often occupied by vacant buildings, tourist stores and boutiques, and specialty stores. Even the drinking and nightlife has largely moved to the suburbs - the Twin Cities' CHR (top 40) FM station, for example, always does a live broadcast from some nightclub in the suburbs on Friday nights, and a lot of people prefer to spend their evenings out at, say, Applebee's (an American, usually suburban, restaurant chain, in case you already didn't know).
I never knew downtowns were not as active as the cities in Australia. Everything else that was explained here I already knew about from the OP posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand