U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 AM

7 posts, read 7,653 times

Advertisements

Sydney is really expensive and pretty crowded... if u want to experience a warmer, open air city, move to Brisbane and try get work there.. i prefer it over Sydney as it is more like Canberra in terms of layout, where Sydney is biiiiiig and crowded... the centre is, which is where i assume u will be working.
find a base, u can always experience more of different cities with cheap flights between major centres
excited for you.... good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,214,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Night life and Perth don't really go together in my book. Very average and as has already been stated outside of the weekend then dismil would be a rather kind describtion.
Very average but very expensive. The latest Lonely Planet guide on WA isn't too kind on us. But it's the truth unfortunately.

Going to the Pub is popular but was at a couple on Friday night in the CBD and I'm over it.

You stand squashed together in a very crowded pub, holding very expensive drinks while shouting at each other and only hearing about half of what's said because it's so loud.

By 8pm there were three women who'd ended up on the floor they were so pi**ed, one spilled her drink all over herself and some bloke's pants. Another of them threw up on the way to the loo. Lovely night out in Perth's CBD Or maybe I'm just too old and can't appreciate it all

Tried one of those trendy wine bars - far cry from what's in Melbourne. Still very loud - why are we so loud here in Perth? And couldn't for the life of me figure out why one female patron brought her baby with her in the pram and we had to listen to the baby crying regularly (probably because it was so loud).

Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM

56 posts, read 91,263 times
I wouldnt worry too much about lack of jobs in Brisbane. It and the sunshine and gold coasts have been one of the fastest growing areas in Australia. But if you hate humidity it might not be the best option. I moved there after Perth and found the humidity brutal.
I'd say start off in Sydney but as others have said it is expensive and crowded, so once youre there explore up and down the coast (on your bike) and check out some of the smaller cities. As an IT professional I doubt you will have too much trouble finding work.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:59 PM

5,127 posts, read 4,612,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Very average but very expensive. The latest Lonely Planet guide on WA isn't too kind on us. But it's the truth unfortunately.

Going to the Pub is popular but was at a couple on Friday night in the CBD and I'm over it.

You stand squashed together in a very crowded pub, holding very expensive drinks while shouting at each other and only hearing about half of what's said because it's so loud.

By 8pm there were three women who'd ended up on the floor they were so pi**ed, one spilled her drink all over herself and some bloke's pants. Another of them threw up on the way to the loo. Lovely night out in Perth's CBD Or maybe I'm just too old and can't appreciate it all

Tried one of those trendy wine bars - far cry from what's in Melbourne. Still very loud - why are we so loud here in Perth? And couldn't for the life of me figure out why one female patron brought her baby with her in the pram and we had to listen to the baby crying regularly (probably because it was so loud).
Why are they so loud? Perhaps Perth for all it's superficial wealth underneath the surface,it is and likely to remain so a town populated by Bogans.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,037 times
Default City break to Melbourne

I have been to Melbourne quite a few times and has definately got great nightlife and plenty to do during the day too if you're looking for a fab city break, I definately recommend Melbourne.

Last edited by Dora2011.shortbreaks; 07-11-2011 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: Link

Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 AM

316 posts, read 486,435 times
what about melbournes beaches?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM

3,308 posts, read 3,859,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
what about melbournes beaches?
What about London's weather?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:56 PM

5,127 posts, read 4,612,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

Rather sad what has happened to Perth. Must take a look at the latest Lonely Planet guide but can imagine.

Pubs in Perth don't do it for me either. During the week nights close to dead and overcrowed to the max on weekends.
Don't even know many that go to pubs anymore. I suspect that is a major cultural change in this country over the past few decades.

Why so loud? Guess at the end of the day Perth is a pretty much unsophiscated sort of place,although there are a good few wanna be's but the Bogan lurks under the pretence.

We don't go far from Leederville these days in going out to dine. The very popular Pizza/Pasta place not far from the station seems to be the place everyone meets. They do specials from Mon through to Weds.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 15,837,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
What about London's weather?
LOL I get this all the time in Sydney.

Sydneysider "but you don't have proper beaches"
me: "there's water. melbourne is on a bay"
SS: "yeah, but no surf beaches"
me: "oh. when was the last time you surfed?"
SS: "um....."
me: "thought so."

and for the record, victoria has great surf beaches. You've just got to drive to them

Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 AM

3,308 posts, read 3,859,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
LOL I get this all the time in Sydney.

Sydneysider "but you don't have proper beaches"
me: "there's water. melbourne is on a bay"
SS: "yeah, but no surf beaches"
me: "oh. when was the last time you surfed?"
SS: "um....."
me: "thought so."

and for the record, victoria has great surf beaches. You've just got to drive to them
If I wanted Botany Bay, I don't need to get on a plane for an hour for it.

I don't surf, but growing up in the Eastern Suburbs I certainly spent my fair share of time at the beach. Having said that, Camp Cove or Nielsen Park are probably still two of my favourites. I did grow up about 10 minutes walk from both so I'm probably a bit biased!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand