U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I go?
Sydney 1 12.50%
Melbourne 6 75.00%
Townsville 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,768 times

Advertisements

I am a U.S. student looking to study abroad in Australia form Feb-June next year. (Currently, I study in Minneapolis, MN, which is a larger city-so I'm used to this).

I have been making lists of pros and cons of where to go, and I can't narrow down my choice at all! Having students who have studied abroad, or live in Australia would be the opinion I need to help me make my choice.

Here are my choices in no particular preference:

James Cook University - Townsville
Pros: Close to the Great Barrier Reef
Cons: Smaller city, difficult to travel to other places in Australia/New Zealand

I guess I've kind of ruled out this University.... unless someone has a REALLY good reason to go here over the other 2.

University of Sydney

Pros: GLBT community

University of Melbourne

I guess I really don't know a lot about either Sydney or Melbourne to compare the two. I'm leaning towards Sydney, but I need to know why people prefer one city over the other? What's the difference between their culture, cost of living, coastal life, nightlife, etc??? Also, the quality of the Universities intrigues me in either city?

I value your opinion, thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 04:25 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,542,132 times
have you searched the threads on C-D.. discussions on both cities have occurred in the past, ad infinitum. I assume money is no object.. the AUD is at an all time high so you will find almost everything expensive.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM

I've looked, but I guess I'm looking for more information regarding university life, within the city and university itself. Which place would be better for a university student?

Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM

3,252 posts, read 3,733,263 times
What are you studying?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:13 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,117,221 times
How often do you plan on going out to the Reef? It costs quite a bit to do so. I'm not sure you'll do it that often to make studying in Townsville an advantage. Yes, I agree there'd have to be something else there to chose it over Sydney or Melbourne. Not sure what that would be as I didn't think Townsville was anything to write home about. It's alright. Small place.

I love Melbourne more than Sydney. Others love Sydney more than Melbourne. So the answer to which of those two you should go for depends on the personal preference of the poster. Personally, I think where the University of Melbourne is located is fantastic. The neighbourhoods around there are vibrant and fun. The tram system makes it so easy to get around.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 AM

I'm studying Genetics, and all three schools are proficient in there Biological Sciences Departments, and I would prefer I a large research University, because that is where I am studying now. Thanks for the information about the reef! I didn't know that. So, right now I am almost positive I am going to Melbourne, because after a day of research, it has the most pros for it. Also, the public transportation in Melbourne seems very helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:29 AM

1,503 posts, read 2,407,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngopher_2014 View Post
I'm studying Genetics, and all three schools are proficient in there Biological Sciences Departments, and I would prefer I a large research University, because that is where I am studying now. Thanks for the information about the reef! I didn't know that. So, right now I am almost positive I am going to Melbourne, because after a day of research, it has the most pros for it. Also, the public transportation in Melbourne seems very helpful.

Thanks for your help!
Townsville is pretty big on the Life Sciences, and one of it's strong points.
I have had a look at postgraduate courses up there.
On this score I would not rule it out.
Sydney seems to be more biased towards engineering, computer and other sciences -but this is somewhat of a generalization.
Cannot comment on Melbourne universities, but lifestyle is comparable to Sydney.
Although not on this list, Canberra -specifically ANU ie Australian National Univerisity - is renowned in this course subject.

Last edited by Derek40; 08-08-2011 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: extra- Canberra

Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM

17 posts, read 29,196 times
I think you should definitely go to Melbourne! I lived in both sydney and melbourne for 6 months each I can tell you that Melbourne is definitely the best option.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,176 times
Default Australia is third most Desired Country

While reading post here about Australia [mod]No advertising allowed.[/mod] I come to know that Australia is third most desired country for international Students who are looking to study abroad.

Last edited by Vichel; 08-18-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand