Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

What well known Aussie personalities/celebs have you spotted out and about around town? Not counting at concerts, events, signings.etc where they would be. For instance when I saw all those pollies including Howard when we went to Canberra and of course sports people and musicians/entertainers.

I've seen a few Aussie rules players, including West Coast player Glen Jackovich at my local shopping centre.

I saw Alexander Downer walking down Hindley Street in Adelaide.

Stood behind Tina Altieri at the checkout in K-Mart, former channel 9 newsreader and something of a personality here in Perth.

On an added note I was told that Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman's Sydney residence was just two homes down from my aunty's house (more like massive mansion) on the harbour in one of the richest suburbs in Sydney. I'm not sure what happened to the home, this was in 2000.

That's all I can think of right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
I saw Richie Benaud on the London underground a couple of years ago during the Ashes.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:23 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I used to visit a mate in Westport, Connecticut years back and I've seen Nicole Kidman with Tom Cruise going about. They used to have a house in Westport (across from Paul Newman). My mate lived a few houses down though his house was normal looking. This was during the time when Nicole's face was still able to render facial expressions.

I've seen some of the actors of McLeod's Daughters when they were still filming outside the city in Gawler, SA -- Matt Passborn, Rahel Scarfani (spel?) and the woman that played Stevie.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:56 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,444 times
I'm never really good at spotting celebrities. I had Kylie Minogue smile at me when I walked past once and I've served numerous lesser-known celebrities during my days as a checkout chick. Usually I didn't even know I had served someone famous until it was pointed out to me (for example, someone from Powder Finger who I had never heard of before). However, I don't know if people know who Shelly Craft is, she used to do travel shows and now does Aus' funniest home videos i think. Anyway, several years back not only did I serve her on a checkout numerous times, but two or three times I had been on a flight that she has been on as well including coming back from my honeymoon where she sat in front of me. I had to make sure I had my wedding ring on so she'd get the hint.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
Saw Pauline Hanson (infamous politician) at the Dungog Film Festival in the Hunter Valley earlier this year, who was just browsing in the antique shops etc - rather cultured for her. (She now resides near Nelson Bay NSW in the Port Stephens area - not far from here).
Also saw Matt Cooper, Rugby League player last year at Taronga Zoo in Sydney.
Matt Rogers, Rugby player at the Big Banana at Coffs Harbour several years ago. (Reminder to AFL fans, Rugby = Rugby Union).
Rachel Griffeths, actor, at Elwood in Melbourne having breakfast in 2007.
Other than that, saw numerous cricket players at the Bourbon and Beefsteak Bar in Kings Cross in Sydney in the early-mid 90's - the place where Ricky Ponting gained notoriety on a big bender night out - and ended up with a black eye - and a resultant drink there now known as the "Ponting Punch".

Last edited by Derek40; 10-11-2011 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: extra

Old 10-11-2011, 04:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
We saw Hugo Weaving at Sydney International Airport back in 2008. We really wanted his autograph but we were too embarrassed to ask him.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I saw Richie Benaud on the London underground a couple of years ago during the Ashes.

I literally bumped into Guy Pearce on Swanston St, Melbourne

Use to see a lot of AFL players out & about.

John Howard leaned on my counter when I worked retail. I hid as the cameras were panning around too. He's pretty short...

I see Peter Costello a lot around near where I work. Had a chat a few times.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
We saw Hugo Weaving at Sydney International Airport back in 2008. We really wanted his autograph but we were too embarrassed to ask him.
He lives round the corner from me (or at least he did), and Nicole Kidman's Sydney place is down the road from where my Mum lives. A couple of my friends have "celebrity" parents.

Oh and my favourite, I see Leo Sayer at my local shops all the time. Pretty regular guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand