Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM

9,325 posts, read 22,069,219 times

Advertisements

Scooter. Do you have any idea what type of visa you would get?
if you are going by a State sponsored regional visa, there are geographic restrictions on where you can live in the state. A friend of mine had a regional sponsored visa. In South Australia he could live anywhere. In Victoria, there were certain post codes approx 30km from Melbourne. For NSW he had to live in the Blue Mountains as he could not live anywhere in metro Sydney. Not sure the geographic restrictions for Qld.

Just food for thought as you research visas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:17 PM

93 posts, read 349,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
if you are going by a State sponsored regional visa, there are geographic restrictions on where you can live in the state. A friend of mine had a regional sponsored visa. In South Australia he could live anywhere. In Victoria, there were certain post codes approx 30km from Melbourne. For NSW he had to live in the Blue Mountains as he could not live anywhere in metro Sydney. Not sure the geographic restrictions for Qld.

We have not gotten specific with that just yet…mainly as we have not made our decision yet. We are still just as likely to stay put and settle in the states. I hope to fly down to visit Oz in January…as we want to see it again first.

So we expect to have more direction on that come just after the holidays. At the moment, we are in no rush to make a decision. If we move Down Under, my wife will likely opt to apply for a skills shortage visa (as a English teacher)…and I will likely move on a visa with the help of (and at the discretion of) whichever airline I slide over to fly with (if I elect to leave American Airlines that is).

If it's alright, I'll look to pick your brain then (and that of others on this forum) on visa "do's and don'ts."

Old 11-05-2011, 11:45 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

Geographic restrictions are even more pronounced with school teachers, and this applies to local residents as well.
In NSW at least, living in the west is strongly encouraged, and there may be bias to people that are willing to live in remote places.
There is nothing wrong with places like Dubbo or Tamworth in NSW.
Generally pilots, flight attendants etc can often cope so long as they are only an hour or so to an airport.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post
I am a long time reader and occasional poster on this forum. I have found it to be VERY useful in the past. We are currently giving serious consideration to immigrating from the USA to New Zealand in the fall of 2012. We have a young family with kids ranging in ages from 8 to 2. We'd appreciate a local perspective from anyone in the "know" about the best areas in New Zealand to raise a family. A nice safe family friendly environment and good schools are our primary concerns. It's been about a decade since I visit visited New Zealand, and even then it was only for short layovers. We are trying to research as much as we can about life there, and the benefits of such a dramatic move. We are also trying not to get caught up in the "grass is always greener" trap mentality, so we are open to hearing about the cons as well as the pros. Any thoughts, opinions, and facts that you are willing to share with us on this subject would be greatly appreciated!
Scooter - Thanks for posting this. My wife & I are in Minnesota and I logged in to post an almost identical subject. We are ready to make a change but need some additional information. Again, thanks!

Mike

Old 11-29-2011, 05:29 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,166,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
^^ Ditto to this. Health insurance for my family is free. My employer pays for everything.
Sorry I do not get why your employer pays the health bill for your entire family. What does your employer get for the extra cost of insuring your family ?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM

51 posts, read 78,177 times
I think it really depends on what a person wants. There are lots of fantastic places to live in Australia. I love Newcastle/Lake Macquarie for example. The beaches there are absolutely gorgeous and you have the city feel, yet it's no where near as large or crowded as Sydney. If you like the city Newcastle and the whole central coast is a great place to choose. It's also very central to the whole east coast, making for easy access to most of Australia's large areas. There are gorgeous suburbs and towns all over the area, and because it's a decent size jobs are also easy to come by and you have the benefit of a good uni and so on as kids grow.

Another area that's gorgeous is southern WA, from Perth down through the Margaret River area. Depending on whether you like a country town or city, WA has fantastic facilities and a very friendly feel to it. Perth is a beautiful city. Margaret River is just magical. All of these areas are good for kids.

We're a defence family so have lived in a number of areas.

Darwin is wonderful. There are good areas and bad like other places, and it's very unique - unlike any other place I've been to. It's a small city but wages tend to be very good to compensate for remoteness. There is easy access to amazing national parks. Some people love Darwin, others hate it. I loved it personally, because I enjoy the outdoors and don't mind the heat. The markets in Darwin are fabulous, sitting on the beach eating dinner.

Wagga was quite nice. It's a medium sized country town and a great area if you like a town feel. Toowoomba in Qld is similar and it's a beautiful place. I lived in Canberra as a kid and in my early teens and it's extremely family friendly - lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, not too far to go to the south coast beaches for the weekend, near some beautiful national parks and the snow. It has the highest wages and highest level of public service in Australia, but it's also freeeeeezing (though still enjoys very hot summers).

Right now we're in Brisbane, or Springfield Lakes more specifically, which is technically Ipswich (avoid Ipswich, it's a filthy crime infested bogan hole - sorry, I'm sure some people love it and it does have positives, but that's my opinion). It's not a bad area, though it's quite 'suburban' with plenty of McMansions and a totally designed look to it. Brisbane itself is quite nice, too, though I'm not sure which areas are good for kids as I've never been far outside the CBD.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:25 PM

141 posts, read 343,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
Christchurch is nice but it's flat and rather boring and people there can be pretty anal.
Auckland is a great multi cultural hub with a big polynesian flavour.
Man..that is a generalisation if I ever heard one regarding Cantabrians! Im originally from the Auckland region living in ChCh and love it here (except for the earthquakes). I dont think I would class my kids as anal!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,207,502 times
As long as New Zealand is being mentioned, I want to be helpful again and point out that the grass really IS greener there - at least compared to Australia or California.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,178,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
As long as New Zealand is being mentioned, I want to be helpful again and point out that the grass really IS greener there - at least compared to Australia or California.
Yeah, It rains a LOT in NZ

Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,267,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yeah, It rains a LOT in NZ

Hamish & Andy - Real Stories - Water Wastage Campaign - YouTube

Love their Kiwi accents, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand