Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Does anyone know how much it would cost to ship either my car or my motorcycle to Sydney in the event that I relocate there from the US?

Has anyone from the US done this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
have you done an advance search of the forum? do one for ship car under Australia forum and you will see it covered. Also have you googled import left hand drive car to australia?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Default This is pretty useful info

Importing Vehicles to Australia - General Information

Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Read this thread and then check back afterwards with your comments:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austr...ng-advice.html

There is no point in shipping your car to Australia.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Read this thread and then check back afterwards with your comments:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austr...ng-advice.html

There is no point in shipping your car to Australia.
I actually read that thread which lead to me doing my own investigation and this is what I found from the link that I posted on this thread.

Considerations Before Importing

Overseas vehicles are usually built to different specifications to those required for the Australian market. Do not assume that a vehicle that seems to be identical to a model already available in Australia meets the required Australian Design Rules (ADRs). Generally, only vehicles that have been built specifically for the Australian market comply with all of the required ADRs.

Vehicles for use on public roads in Australia are usually required to be Right Hand Drive (RHD). Contact your local State or Territory Registration Authority for information on acceptance of Left Hand Drive (LHD) vehicles.
Insurance cover, other than compulsory third party, may be difficult to obtain for used imported vehicles

I have emailed the Registraton Authority to find out if I can bring my 2009 car over with it being a Left Hand Drive. The part that says..."are usually required" seems to leave an opening...that is what I am trying to find out.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Can't be done in NSW unless the car is over 30 years old and you have either Australian/NZ citizenship or permanent residency. Which it doesn't sound like you do. I'm not sure I'd want to be driving a LHD car in a country that drives on the left, it's a major PITA.

To answer your question though, the cost to ship would probably be in the $6-$7k range.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Can't be done in NSW unless the car is over 30 years old and you have either Australian/NZ citizenship or permanent residency. Which it doesn't sound like you do. I'm not sure I'd want to be driving a LHD car in a country that drives on the left, it's a major PITA.

To answer your question though, the cost to ship would probably be in the $6-$7k range.
What does NSW mean?

How sad...well I guess it will be my motorcycle then. I am taking a 12 month position and if I like the job and living in Sydney then I will take a permanent position...but I want my car!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
What does NSW mean?
New South Wales...like California, only spelled different.

Quote:
How sad...well I guess it will be my motorcycle then. I am taking a 12 month position and if I like the job and living in Sydney then I will take a permanent position...but I want my car!
Depending on where in Sydney you live you may find a car is more trouble than it's worth.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
New South Wales...like California, only spelled different.

Depending on where in Sydney you live you may find a car is more trouble than it's worth.
That's good to know! I'm still not giving up on the car thing...I will ask until I get the final NO YOU CAN'T BRING IT!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
What does NSW mean?

Congrats!

As BCC said, depending on where you live. Parking can be very annoying.

Public transport isn't too bad... and if you want weekends away, hiring a car is a good option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand