Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,721,540 times

Advertisements

A much more postive topic than what has been lately.
See:

Lonely Planet

Darwin and the ""Top End"" is somewhere everyone wants to go to once in their life-time.
As someone that has never been to the tropics, and only seen crocs at places like Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast, such a visit is mandatory to see such wild and dangerous creatures. as well as a modern city.
I'd suggest many overseas backpackers get there before most Aussies do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:16 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,877,435 times
Darwin has it's own attraction but it's real draw are the surrounding wilderness areas in Arnhem Land and the island showcasing natural beauty and aboriginal culture. Kakadu is of course the most famous but there's also Litchfield and Katherine Gorge/Nitmiluk nearby. Mangroves too are pretty interesting.

I made it to Katherine and Nitmiluk NP, but owning to a lack of funds, like Tojo (as in the famous Hoodoo Guru's tune) I never quite made it to Darwin!

Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,736,127 times
Bengaluru (Bangalore) in South India looks awesome too.

Hopefully I get to at least visit Darwin sometime.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 AM

4,185 posts, read 4,842,815 times
I thought Darwin was a pretty odd choice, then I noticed Orlando was in the "Top 10" too. Santiago (maybe only beaten by Asuncion) is probably one of the most boring cities in South America, although for some strange reason I'd go back there. Who actually made up this list, the work experience kid?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 AM

5,039 posts, read 7,457,147 times
Its proberly not so much as darwin itslef, by the area around the city is quite simply stunning, and often overlooked by the drunk aussies who fly over it to Bali.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,967,701 times
I actually have been there a few times visiting a mate that immigrated there from Philadelphia. I thought it was quite interesting. Great art museum, beautiful beaches (you don't swim in them though), fun night market, interesting architecture in town. Great food. Easy access to the outback. Lonely Planet seems to attract the more adventurous younger traveler, so I can see why they'd think Darwin. If it weren't so bloody hot and humid half of the year I'd think it would be liveable.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,860,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Its proberly not so much as darwin itslef, by the area around the city is quite simply stunning, and often overlooked by the drunk aussies who fly over it to Bali.
Wouldn't be too concerned as Darwin has more than its share of drunken Aussies. Not called 'The Broken Jaw Capital of Australia' without reason. Darwin has a very different vibe to other Australian cities. Probably the laid back sort of approach associated with Australia s more in evidence there.
Lived up there in the late 90s and rather liked it.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,860,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I thought Darwin was a pretty odd choice, then I noticed Orlando was in the "Top 10" too. Santiago (maybe only beaten by Asuncion) is probably one of the most boring cities in South America, although for some strange reason I'd go back there. Who actually made up this list, the work experience kid?
Perhaps more a case of searching out ten different cities every year.A few controversal choices does no harm to promoting the Brand.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,877,435 times
They drink beer like water up there, lol.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,707,628 times
I've always been curious about Darwin and wouldn't mind going one day, especially to see one of it's famous lightning storms. But only if it was on the way to somewhere else, not just to go to Darwin. A lot of places in this half of Oz are like that for me. Nothing between here and there and a big trek & expense to get there. Which is why I'll probably never see Uluru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand