Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,934,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I think there are friendly and un-friendly people all over.
eggsactly. Even in South Australia you'll find heaps of nice people.
Do you there are friendly kiwis? The ones Ive seen in C-D seem to have a chip against Aussies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:50 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,946,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Wondering why people are singling out Western Sydney? Where my aunty lives in the wealthy harbourside suburbs certainly isn't friendly.
well I agree with you that area is not really friendly, however I spent some time at the northern beaches (except for Manly) and found the people an bit more friendlier than the harbourside suburbs or certainly western suburbs of Sydney.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM

14,772 posts, read 17,034,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
eggsactly. Even in South Australia you'll find heaps of nice people.
Do you there are friendly kiwis? The ones Ive seen in C-D seem to have a chip against Aussies.
there seem to be a few with a small chip, some don't take the ribbing so well, others are nice though.. there use to be a poster here from NZ who was really nice

Old 11-27-2011, 07:18 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
well I agree with you that area is not really friendly, however I spent some time at the northern beaches (except for Manly) and found the people an bit more friendlier than the harbourside suburbs or certainly western suburbs of Sydney.
Where many of them surfers etc? They tend to be a bit more chilled out.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 PM

4,158 posts, read 4,817,709 times
Quote:
Wondering why people are singling out Western Sydney? Where my aunty lives in the wealthy harbourside suburbs certainly isn't friendly.
How do you define friendly? I grew up in what would be described as a "wealthy harbourside suburb" and it was pretty friendly. Maybe they're less friendly to outsiders and I do know that in Sydney there is probably more of a divide between the haves and have-nots than most other cities in Australia (geographically and culturally). I'd be interested to know.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,715,457 times
Quote:
Where many of them surfers etc? They tend to be a bit more chilled out.
I would not agree on that one.
Places like Cronulla, part of ""the Shire"' - in reference to the Sutherland Shire - are amongst the most tribal and parochial in Oz.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,946,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I would not agree on that one.
Places like Cronulla, part of ""the Shire"' - in reference to the Sutherland Shire - are amongst the most tribal and parochial in Oz.
I have to agree that the Sutherland Shire on that one Derek. Anyway my experiences in the northern beaches of Sydney is I dont think I would fit in there. Over all I dont find any parts of Sydney that friendly anyway.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,934,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
there seem to be a few with a small chip, some don't take the ribbing so well, others are nice though.. there use to be a poster here from NZ who was really nice
Ah the rare non-Aussie hating kiwi CD poster. Rare bird indeed.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:39 PM

51 posts, read 77,569 times
I think experiences will vary, not only from place to place but from person to person. Some large tourist towns might have less friendly people because tourists are just so numerous. By contrast, other places may have people who are very accommodating. I don't consider myself to be unfriendly, but I would usually ignore everyone - tourist or otherwise - in a city because I wouldn't know them. If they asked me for help I'd be polite and helpful and friendly.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:07 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
How do you define friendly? I grew up in what would be described as a "wealthy harbourside suburb" and it was pretty friendly. Maybe they're less friendly to outsiders and I do know that in Sydney there is probably more of a divide between the haves and have-nots than most other cities in Australia (geographically and culturally). I'd be interested to know.
Well just saying 'hello' on a morning walk is one example. Or if you ask for help they don't act all suspicious and defensive, which I've experienced on a couple of occasions in Sydney. I know there are unfriendly/friendly people everywhere, but I think the folk in Sydney seem to have more of a 'big city' attitude, but in a bad way, than other cities.

Yes maybe I do misjudge them/am biased against them because they're rich. Once you get to know them they're just like anyone else. I remember going to a big dinner/event thing at someone's big mansion on the harbour and the people seemed fairly friendly. It's not really like England, but their wealth was fairly obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand