U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 AM

8 posts, read 27,672 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. We have just got our 175 visas and are thinking of moving either to Perth or to Brisbane. Background: we are a young family in our mid-20s. We don't care about cultural life (night clubs etc) much, but rather about cost of living, rent, job offers. But we still hesitate, where to move. Could anyone please share his/her experience and ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 AM

52 posts, read 78,268 times
Perth is close to Sydney in terms of cost of living, Brisbane is much cheaper. I don't have much of an idea about the job markets in either, but I know there's a proverbial tonne of engineering positions available in both.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 AM

5,081 posts, read 4,461,604 times
I do not believe that the job market is all together healthy regardless of state. The govt seems to be issuing far too many 457s with too broad a job range. There may well be a reaction further down the road to this come the downturn.
Saying that if cost is the main concern then Brisbane would win over Perth.
Perth is way over the top in costs which impacts in my view to life quality. Do a lot of research as it can be an expensive mistake.
Saying that if you are in the mining game or gas WA may still suite.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 AM

124 posts, read 171,313 times
Brisbane for sure. Perth is too isolated.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:09 AM

Thank you for your answers. We are not engaged in IT or mining as well. The point that Perth is very much isolated does not play any role for us. The only issue is a job market, rent costs and an adequate correlation between expenses and incomes as we are going to move to AU not to have fun but to work. We are 175 visa-holders

Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 AM

206 posts, read 374,582 times
Perth might have higher cost of living than Brisbane, but the wages are higher too.
Western Australia average salary: $79,934
Queensland average salary: $66,882

Though I'd go with Brisbane, I think it's a nicer city than Perth, close to the Gold Coast too.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 AM

And what about rent? Is it cheaper to rent apartments in Bri than in Perth as well? Please, share your opinions, I really highly appreciate your ideas and suggestions, as I can read only official statistics I can make make a more truthful conclusion thanks to other people's knowledge and experience.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 AM

52 posts, read 78,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childoffortune View Post
And what about rent? Is it cheaper to rent apartments in Bri than in Perth as well? Please, share your opinions, I really highly appreciate your ideas and suggestions, as I can read only official statistics I can make make a more truthful conclusion thanks to other people's knowledge and experience.
Everything is cheaper in Brisbane. Perth is expensive because it's 3500KM from the closest east coast city and because there are thousands of miners based there who are earning double the average salary. Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide are all considerably cheaper than Perth at the moment.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,065,424 times
Median rents in Perth and Brisbane area are actually very similar, around the $400 mark (not sure about apartments specifically, probably better value renting a house), wages in mining related industries are very good but drive up the costs for the majority who aren't employed by miners. Perth is a rapidly growing city with a lot of future potential but on the other hand is also isolated and not yet as lively as Brisbane/SEQ, Sydney or Melbourne. That said all the cities provide a good quality of life and generally good income, they're all pretty similar really with decent opportunities in each.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM

5,081 posts, read 4,461,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
Perth might have higher cost of living than Brisbane, but the wages are higher too.
Western Australia average salary: $79,934
Queensland average salary: $66,882

Though I'd go with Brisbane, I think it's a nicer city than Perth, close to the Gold Coast too.
Average salary does not mean that is what the average person earns. WA has some very high wage earners in large part due to inflated earnings in the mines etc.
Many earn a lot less than $80,000 a year in fact far more earn substantially less than would earn that or more.
WA is at last reading the state with biggest number being turfed out of their houses due to inability to pay mortgage.

Outside of mining there is not a lot else. The downturn when it does come can be expected to hit WA rather hard.
Even though live in Perth I would go for Brisbane.
Perth's isolation, high costs, being cliquey, have in my opinion made it a far less desirable place over the past six years.

As for rents the house next door was open for an hour last week to allow potential renters a viewing. More than eighty people turned up that I noticed.
The rental market is very competitive and it is hard work tramping around searching out a rental.
Have no idea if Brisbane is similar or to what degree, but it does seem WA/Perth is hot at the moment with many new arrivals pouring in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand