U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 PM

4,272 posts, read 7,532,427 times

Advertisements

For the longest time I have wanted to travel to Australia, and now it's finally looking like it's going to happen! I'm looking pretty seriously at studying abroad in Australia next spring (fall for you, actually, so the beginning of 2013), and the pre-approved programs are for the University of Melbourne and the University of Western Australia.

With Melbourne, I like that it has more cultural opportunities, it's on the eastern seaboard and thus much closer to most of Australia's attractions, and, correct me if I'm wrong, it's cheaper than Perth. However, it has very dreary weather, especially in April and May, and it's beaches are lacking compared to Perth.

Perth I see as being much more laid back (possibly friendlier?), with great beaches very close by, and better weather to enjoy them. On the other hand, it's incredibly isolated from outside travel opportunities, and I could see where it's lacking in entertainment.

So which city would you recommend for an American student? I could see myself enjoying both, and I have my leanings, but I'm hoping to get some more input. Also, if anyone could comment on differences between Australian and American universities (I'm an engineering student if that has any bearing), that would be greatly appreciated as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM

14,788 posts, read 15,430,869 times
Melbourne.

April & May are not deary. Autumn is really pretty in Melbourne. Walking through all the parks etc... very nice.
June/July/August aren't great, however it doesn't get THAT cold there (i.e can get to 0 over night, winter day could be 8-11 degrees at worst)

Melbourne Uni is in a great spot too ~ very central.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,016,603 times
I'd go to Melbourne, as a university student I'll think you'll find it more interesting than Perth even if the weather is a bit cooler. As you said its also a lot more accessible and cheaper to travel based in Melbourne, also the landscape in the east is more varied and its just a short trip to Sydney, Brisbane etc. Melbourne seems to be the most 'student-friendly' city in Australia from my experience. A lot of young people from cities like Perth move over there as well.

Another thing to consider is that the University of Melbourne has nearly 50,000 students compared to UWA's 20,000 which means you'll presumably have a greater range of units to choose from. Also UoM's seems to be regarded as the best engineering school in the country (ranked 30 worldwide).

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...ng-and-IT.html

Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM

37,356 posts, read 37,669,111 times
I think Melbourne is a great place and has much to offer culturally. Melbourne weather is not dreary although it can rain suddenly when least expected.
I have never been to Perth so I can't comment about it.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 AM

316 posts, read 477,315 times
Perth has better beaches and lots of sunshine so if you are into watersports,surfing,fishing etc then Perth has it.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 AM

24,682 posts, read 50,564,743 times
Maybe Queensland might be a better option than both...I'm a West Aussie but I'd have to say I'd choose Melbs without hesitation.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 AM

5,061 posts, read 4,381,062 times
Living in Perth but I would pick Melbourne. In my view it will give you a broader Aussie experience. As others have said if you are really big on water sports, then consider Perth, but for all else Victoria.
You could always come over to Perth while in OZ and check out what you missed.
Remember also Perth is way expensive these days.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,108,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Melbourne Uni is in a great spot too ~ very central.
Yes, Melbourne Uni wins the location prize hands-down, over UWA. Melbourne Uni is close to lots of fun, vibrant precincts and neighbourhoods that are interesting for everyone, let alone a student. A good variety of cheap eats, coffee, funky shops, etc. And a handy transportation system that connects you to a lot of places.

UWA is in a very picturesque area of Perth but mostly surrounded by upmarket suburbia with not much street life. It's close to some parks and the river so you have lots of nice options for cycling, running, rowing and such. You'll have to travel further for the cheap eats and street life from UWA.

Perth's beaches are very different to Melbourne's, which are on a big bay. You have to travel about two hours south to get to the ocean near Melbourne - and it's colder and rougher there. The bay beaches in Melbourne have a nice atmosphere though with convenient cafe/restaurant strips nearby. Perth has lots of great beaches that are in more of a natural state and very uncrowded. There are beaches for everyone - surfers, swimmers, snorkelers.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 AM

24,682 posts, read 50,564,743 times
^ Not Cottesloe or Scarborough on a hot summer's day. But there are many beaches to choose from if you prefer them quieter.

If you like swimming, Melbourne gets minus points here, as the water is always pretty cold.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 AM

14,788 posts, read 15,430,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Not Cottesloe or Scarborough on a hot summer's day. But there are many beaches to choose from if you prefer them quieter.

If you like swimming, Melbourne gets minus points here, as the water is always pretty cold.
not in summer. The bay warms up with a few warm days. The surf beaches are almost always too rough for me to go too far out in... Rips are notorious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand