Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do our major cities need a rapid transit system?
Yes 10 76.92%
No 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:55 AM

468 posts, read 616,984 times

Advertisements

I'm still a little amazed Australia's most populous cities do not have a proper metro system a la Paris, Beijing, New York, San Francisco, Toronto, Hong Kong etc.?

I understand the geography of certain cities in this country, particularly Sydney's, has shaped the way our cities transportation developed but the public transport in most of the country is a disgrace. I was in Adelaide once and waited for a bus for about ten to fifteen minutes, in an area that you'd think would have a high demand for frequent public transit services. Compare this to my time in Paris and Hong Kong, when a train came every 2 minutes. Don't get me started on my time in Sydney.

Australian cities did develop and came to prosperity/growth after the motor vehicle, which means that our cities have suburbs that extend far out from the city centre (urban sprawl). People in 1950s Australia desired a low density living: life in the suburbs, with generous gardens and a car trip to work in the city, making our cities highly car dependent. Paris and Asian cities differ in that they have high density living, with a lot of people living in and around the downtown core.

But the Australia of today is far different from the Australia of the 50s. More people are flocking to the city for a central lifestyle. High rise apartments are popping up everywhere. I know of at least three skyscrapers approved or currently under construction in the Sydney CBD that will serve as apartments. Not everyone wants to live far out in the suburbs and commute daily to the city. So why can't we take note of our international cities and build a metro for Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth at least? I'd hazard a guess by saying Adelaide is slightly too small for a metro, but looking at the geography of the city and its suburbs, there's a fair bit of sprawl, meaning there's a lot of people who are travelling great distances to the city daily.

I've heard talk about Sydney getting a rapid transit system (North West Link or something?) but I don't know how legitimate this is and how it compares to international rapid transit systems. Hopefully it's a solution to Sydney's chaotic transport, being our largest city and not far away from a population of 5 million, I'd say it's long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 04:25 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,510,040 times
Love to hear what Drive Carephilly has to say, however it will be a long time before Brisbane needs a proper metro system, currently most trains in the City of Brisbane (not to be confused with Metro Area) run on 15 minute timetables, which is adequate for a city of it's size in my opinion, we just needs to better utilise and improve the existing infrastructure, improve connectivity, and add more bike/walking lanes.

Yes there are loads of apartment complex's been constructed in inner Brisbane's, and we are starting to see the beginnings of 100m plus apartment buildings outside the CBD in places like Milton, South Brisbane and Wooloongabba etc, the good thing is they are close to existing transport facilities.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:46 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,611,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I'm still a little amazed Australia's most populous cities do not have a proper metro system a la Paris, Beijing, New York, San Francisco, Toronto, Hong Kong etc.?

I understand the geography of certain cities in this country, particularly Sydney's, has shaped the way our cities transportation developed but the public transport in most of the country is a disgrace. I was in Adelaide once and waited for a bus for about ten to fifteen minutes, in an area that you'd think would have a high demand for frequent public transit services. Compare this to my time in Paris and Hong Kong, when a train came every 2 minutes. Don't get me started on my time in Sydney.

Gosh, I can't believe that there's less demand for bus/train frequency in a city of 1 million than in a city of 12 million. How incredibly surprising. Next you'll be telling me that when the bus came you had your choice of seats. I couldn't possibly believe that. Everyone knows that no matter how dense the population every bus or train will be more than half full even when they come every five minutes. And of course, they have to be underground. Everyone knows trains are better when they're underground.

If you have a spare hundred billion I'm sure they'd be pleased to dig tunnels for you. After all, it will save the govt paying to have snow shovelled off the tracks, won't it?
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/1...-out-t-tracks/

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 02-18-2015 at 05:54 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 04:14 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Love to hear what Drive Carephilly has to say, however it will be a long time before Brisbane needs a proper metro system, currently most trains in the City of Brisbane (not to be confused with Metro Area) run on 15 minute timetables, which is adequate for a city of it's size in my opinion, we just needs to better utilise and improve the existing infrastructure, improve connectivity, and add more bike/walking lanes.

Yes there are loads of apartment complex's been constructed in inner Brisbane's, and we are starting to see the beginnings of 100m plus apartment buildings outside the CBD in places like Milton, South Brisbane and Wooloongabba etc, the good thing is they are close to existing transport facilities.
I entirely agree. I also think that the city centre should be pedestrianised more than it is at present.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:33 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,510,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
I entirely agree. I also think that the city centre should be pedestrianised more than it is at present.

Absolutely, in my opinion it's pedestrian and Bike friendliness that Aussie cities should be concentrating on not metro Systems.

The thing I find about Metro Systems, is they are usually not all that quick anyway. It's just that the area above is so dense driving is impractical. When living in London my door to door 12km commute to work took just on and hour and quarter.

I also spent entire last Australian summer in Seoul, and my wife and I often went from her house to the main tourist shopping district, which is a strait line distance of 5km. By the time we caught a bus to the train station, went down into the station went the required 8 stops (no need to change trains) and back up again, it usually took 30-35 minutes. A reasonably fit person who knew the way could run it quicker.

Top gears race across London is a good point, while the Stig who used public transport beat James May in a car, Richard Hammond thrashed them both - On a push bike.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Absolutely, in my opinion it's pedestrian and Bike friendliness that Aussie cities should be concentrating on not metro Systems.

The thing I find about Metro Systems, is they are usually not all that quick anyway. It's just that the area above is so dense driving is impractical. When living in London my door to door 12km commute to work took just on and hour and quarter.

I also spent entire last Australian summer in Seoul, and my wife and I often went from her house to the main tourist shopping district, which is a strait line distance of 5km. By the time we caught a bus to the train station, went down into the station went the required 8 stops (no need to change trains) and back up again, it usually took 30-35 minutes. A reasonably fit person who knew the way could run it quicker.

Top gears race across London is a good point, while the Stig who used public transport beat James May in a car, Richard Hammond thrashed them both - On a push bike.
Great point! I found the same in Berlin and London. Especially London, it took so long just to get to the station (i.e down stairs, then more stairs then a walkway and more stairs) , and there are so many stops it does make a relatively short trip pretty slow. Most times if I could I tried to get the bus. Don't get me started on changing lines, which was sometimes a 10 min walk!

I think Sydney's train network does a good job for what Sydney is, once more is converted to a RTN it will be even better.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM

468 posts, read 616,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Gosh, I can't believe that there's less demand for bus/train frequency in a city of 1 million than in a city of 12 million. How incredibly surprising.
MBTA Offers $30 An Hour To Shovel Out Tracks « CBS Boston
It doesn't matter if there is less demand because a population is smaller. People still need to catch buses, trains etc. no matter whether we are talking HK or a small city like Adelaide. They should be frequent and on time in every city regardless of population figures. I don't think the demand is any different, it's just a much smaller scale.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:17 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,998 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter if there is less demand because a population is smaller. People still need to catch buses, trains etc. no matter whether we are talking HK or a small city like Adelaide. They should be frequent and on time in every city regardless of population figures. I don't think the demand is any different, it's just a much smaller scale.

Actually it really DOES matter, a full bus obvuosly earns more than a bus with a few people, economies of scale definitely come into play here. Someone has to pay for public transport, when it can't be done with fares its often party covered with public funds (your taxes).

One can't compare Adelaide to Hong Kong or London! in this context. There are plenty advantages to living in a smaller city, public transport is seldom going to be one of them.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:19 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,611,456 times
Quote:
So you want to spend even more public money than is already spent subsidising them?

Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,436,382 times
I actually thought the public transport in Sydney was pretty good. But I don't think the cities beyond Sydney and Melbourne really need a major system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand