Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:18 AM

121 posts, read 244,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
The big private hospitals have neurosurgery units. Not sure on the organ transplants. I guess somewhere like St Vincents Private might be doing them. I don't think there are any private NICU's (although I think the Mater in Brisbane might have one). I'm really pushing the bounds of my knowledge of the health system though!
At least you are honest in recognizing your own flaws!

Having private health coverage does NOT guarantee that you have will have access to the best care. This is because some private hospitals may not have the appropriate resources for your medical needs, despite their best intention. For example, some private hospitals don't even have a paedriatrics ward. As such, paedriatics patients often use public hospitals because it is the only place at which they can access appropriate care.

Furthermore, private hospitals don't always cater for emergencies. Patients with private coverage need to access the emergency department of the public system in order to be referred to the private hospital. Often, the patient is already treated and discharged home before a bed is made available at the private hospital

YES, the public system does have its downfalls - trying to manage scarce health resources in an efficient and effective manner will produce "winners and losers". However, the qualities that underpin our society - equal opportunity to health resources, access and care - are fashioned into our models of care.

Overall, it is a genuinely good system (staffed by genuinely decent people - myself included ).....just refrain from asking for another pillow or blanket and you should have a pleasant experience in the public hospital system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:08 PM

794 posts, read 1,412,873 times
You need to keep in mind the function of the private system is to take the pressure off the public system by getting those who can afford it to pay for private rooms, and get them out of the queue for things like elective surgery.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 PM

4,265 posts, read 4,936,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post

Having private health coverage does NOT guarantee that you have will have access to the best care. This is because some private hospitals may not have the appropriate resources for your medical needs, despite their best intention. For example, some private hospitals don't even have a paedriatrics ward. As such, paedriatics patients often use public hospitals because it is the only place at which they can access appropriate care.

Furthermore, private hospitals don't always cater for emergencies. Patients with private coverage need to access the emergency department of the public system in order to be referred to the private hospital. Often, the patient is already treated and discharged home before a bed is made available at the private hospital

YES, the public system does have its downfalls - trying to manage scarce health resources in an efficient and effective manner will produce "winners and losers". However, the qualities that underpin our society - equal opportunity to health resources, access and care - are fashioned into our models of care.

Overall, it is a genuinely good system (staffed by genuinely decent people - myself included ).....just refrain from asking for another pillow or blanket and you should have a pleasant experience in the public hospital system.
This is all true. I'm not sure I said anything negative about the public system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1
Other than that the public system has generally pretty good patient outcomes although for elective surgery you will usually spend a fair bit of time on a waiting list. The private health system affords a better standard of care and for elective surgery there is usually no wait time.
Australia has probably the number one or two public health system in the world (based on cancer survival rates etc). On a cost/outcome ratio I think it probably blows America's health system out of the water.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:28 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,166,316 times
Quote:

I agree, there is very, very good care available in the public system. The Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne is revered for their excellent work.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,398,421 times
Quote:
On a cost/outcome ratio I think it probably blows America's health system out of the water.
Yes, but that's not saying much. I would say every single single-payer health care system in the world beats the U.S. system. (I pay about $600 a month for family coverage, then must pay "co-pays" for actual visits to doctors or hospitals. And I'm one of the lucky ones, with a job that provides subsidized health insurance. The open market would run me $3,000 a month.)

Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM

121 posts, read 244,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Yes, but that's not saying much. I would say every single single-payer health care system in the world beats the U.S. system. (I pay about $600 a month for family coverage, then must pay "co-pays" for actual visits to doctors or hospitals. And I'm one of the lucky ones, with a job that provides subsidized health insurance. The open market would run me $3,000 a month.)
This underlines why Australians are grateful for our health system.

I often remind patients that it is their tax dollars which are paying for the provision of high standards of medical services, infrastructures and patient care. They get discharged with a better understanding of the health system and the vital role they play in upholding the standard for their community.

Admittedly, Australians are very supportive of their local hospitals and health-care professionals. The "open market" would leave very little room, if any, for equal opportunity to health resources, access and care.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:05 PM

4,265 posts, read 4,936,807 times
Quote:
I often remind patients that it is their tax dollars which are paying for the provision of high standards of medical services, infrastructures and patient care. They get discharged with a better understanding of the health system and the vital role they play in upholding the standard for their community.
You have to remind them? Who do they think is paying for it when they roll up?

Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,166,316 times
Quote:
You have to remind them? Who do they think is paying for it when they roll up?
its freeeeeeeeeeee

Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,060,908 times
Quote:
Australia has probably the number one or two public health system in the world (based on cancer survival rates etc). On a cost/outcome ratio I think it probably blows America's health system out of the water.
Impossible. Dont you know everything is better in America and Americans in ented everything useful on this planet?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,027,676 times
Quote:
This is all true. I'm not sure I said anything negative about the public system.

Really wonder why WHO places Australia at a relative low 32nd place in the world then? France is rated as first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand