Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 PM

468 posts, read 782,373 times

Advertisements

What would Oz be without it?

Aussie Delicacy Vegemite Loses Some of Its Savory Appeal - WSJ.com

God bless,

CKB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 04:25 PM

991 posts, read 1,763,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
What would Oz be without it?

Aussie Delicacy Vegemite Loses Some of Its Savory Appeal - WSJ.com

God bless,

CKB
Reading the article it's the same old story regarding multinational buying a home grown recipe. The problem is not that Vegemite appeals to Australians, it's that appeals to no one else so Kraft can't market it anywhere else. I prefer Promite which is in much bigger trouble, last time I went looking they now only sell it in one size and it's packed down in the bottom shelves. They used to have at least one shelf devoted to Promite now it's a portion of one with every other mite out there.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:44 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,494,032 times
It's the same old story, something is acquired by a corporation, or that corporation employs some dip stick who is brain dead and is more interested in sales than maintaining the supply of a tried and true product, rather they want to capitalise on money making. Then they mix this and that in it to try to capture a bigger market and end up stuffing the whole shebang, rather than sacking those dip sticks and accept they are a pack of tossers, they remove the product from the shelves and blame lack of sales for doing so....WHAT THE!!!

Typical corporate mentallity. If they would just sack the marketers and anyone else who wants to stuff things around we would all be better off, and allow others to enjoy a product that has been around since Adam wore short pants.

I've bought and used 'Sal Vital' for 50 odd years, now there is no fizz left in it, and it tastes like crap, nothing like it used to be. I wrote to the company to express my disgust in there product and was told that their feedback indicated people thought it was *too* fizzy...WTF? I said that the fizz was what the whole idea was all about, and if that were the case, then bring out another tin labelled "hardly any fizz", then *I* could still enjoy *my* Sal Vital when I wanted it. I don't buy it anymore cos it's absolute rubbish and ain't worth buying.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,840,533 times
I travel an hour to World Market just to get my mandatory Vegemite. Unfortunately they don't have Promite (which I also prefer). I really doubt that Vegemite will ever go out of business, but I can understand why they're having difficulty getting anyone else other than Aussie's to buy it. My (American) husband HATES the stuff... although oddly enough my Cat adores it.

I love my Vegemite!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 PM
ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I travel an hour to World Market just to get my mandatory Vegemite. Unfortunately they don't have Promite (which I also prefer). I really doubt that Vegemite will ever go out of business, but I can understand why they're having difficulty getting anyone else other than Aussie's to buy it. My (American) husband HATES the stuff... although oddly enough my Cat adores it.

I love my Vegemite!
And that's the big problem we have. Who cares if the yanks, or anyone else for that matter don't like it? We do! We are so deep in Americas back pocket and so obliging in our concerns for other nations habits, religion, lifestyles blah blah, that we are fast losing our own unique identity as a nation.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,877,435 times
Vegemite is a crock. Yes, that's right. I truly believe half the people who claim to like it do so out of some patriotic requirement. No, it's not something kids naturally take to. Generations of Aussie's with 'rosie little cheeks' who supposedly love their vegemite have been force fed it, so they grow to like it. It truly is an acquired taste. I last had it years ago - weirdly it tasted even worse than I remember. Although I will admit very small amounts to add that salty/savoury texture are okay.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 PM
ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Vegemite is a crock. Yes, that's right. I truly believe half the people who claim to like it do so out of some patriotic requirement. No, it's not something kids naturally take to. Generations of Aussie's with 'rosie little cheeks' who supposedly love their vegemite have been force fed it, so they grow to like it. It truly is an acquired taste. I last had it years ago - weirdly it tasted even worse than I remember. Although I will admit very small amounts to add that salty/savoury texture are okay.
Fair point, but more importantly, or more relevant is that some like it, some don't, it's not dissimilar to anything else one imbibes in.

The thing with this stuff is it can be included in ones cooking, it's not just something people slap on a piece of bread.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,618,175 times
Sounds like Kraft is doing everything it can to keep it going.

The problem is that it's pretty nasty stuff and here in 2012 there are a lot more options out there compared to 70 years ago.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,840,533 times
We're happy little vegemites as bright as bright can be, we all enjoy our vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea. Our mother says we're growing stronger every single week because we LOVE our vegemite we all ADORE our vegemite it puts a rose on every cheek!

(Did I get the lyrics right?) It's absurd how things like the vegemite commercial can stick to your brain for 20-something years! That and aeroplane jelly!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:26 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,877,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
We're happy little vegemites as bright as bright can be, we all enjoy our vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea. Our mother says we're growing stronger every single week because we LOVE our vegemite we all ADORE our vegemite it puts a rose on every cheek!

(Did I get the lyrics right?) It's absurd how things like the vegemite commercial can stick to your brain for 20-something years! That and aeroplane jelly!
They used to actually replay those old black'n'white ads when I was a kid. Way back in the 'olden days of the last century, the 90s to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand