Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM

31 posts, read 36,456 times

Advertisements

I've made a few threads on here in the Tampa and Miami sections but I keep thinking about my future and it doesn't hurt to ask questions haha.

For the past few months I had my sights set on moving to Florida within a few years, and it's a decent possibility because I found out that my grandparents have looked into the area I want to go to, my Dad said he'd go down there if I went, and my Mom/Step-Dad kind of want to move, and might end up in the same area as me. I've told them that I want to move somewhere warmer because I HATE living in Massachusetts. I just want to get out lol.

Then about a week ago I was looking up random stuff and the idea of maybe moving to Australia settled in my head. I haven't really picked an area, but Perth, Sydney, and Brisbane/Gold Coast look interesting.

I'll be staying local for at least 2 more years because I'm going to community college before I decide on anything. I know I want to do something either medical or fitness related and physical therapy is my current mindset. If I was go move to AUS, getting a degree before moving sounds like the smarter idea.

I don't really know what I want because I change my mind a ton, and it's expected from an 18 year old lol. AUS seems really cool, but Florida does too, and I have no clue how I'd react to leaving my family, but I think I could possibly do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM

790 posts, read 1,736,960 times
well if you enjoy the heat & humidity, it's currently 90'F in Brisbane with a heat index of 95'F. Overnight it briefly dropped to a cold 76'F with 85'F heat index.

Anyway, while you're studying, see if your college has an exchange program and see if you can study in Aus for a semester. Personally, if you have family, I think you're better off staying in Florida as missing family and old friends is the most common reason for people to return from moving overseas.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM

9,325 posts, read 22,071,666 times
There are many threads on CD on people thinking of moving to Oz.
I'd read those first as a start and formulate specific questions.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,188,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
well if you enjoy the heat & humidity, it's currently 90'F in Brisbane with a heat index of 95'F. Overnight it briefly dropped to a cold 76'F with 85'F heat index.
Not all that different from Florida during the summer.

As already stated, if you can get into a study abroad program while in school and come to Australia that way, that would be the wisest move. Otherwise, getting a work visa could be problem.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM

4,432 posts, read 7,009,360 times
How about come and visit Australia first before making the decision if you want to move out here.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,740,310 times
Do you have a visa?

You can't just up and move to Australia and settle in and start working.

The best option available to you since you don't have any skills or higher level education is to apply for the working holiday visa. The best company/sponsor I have seen for that is BUNAC. I've known hundreds of people go through BUNAC with no issues.

US Home page | Work Abroad, Volunteer Abroad, Gap Year, Internships and Visa Services

For a low cost it will enable you to work and travel within Australia for up to 1 year. And then later in life if you like Australia and develop employable skills you can apply for a skilled migration visa down the road later in life.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:05 PM

Yeah, I know a little about visas and the migrating laws. You need a skill that AUS is looking for, and I skimmed through the list earlier.

BUNAC sounds pretty cool, but the studying abroad seems like a better choice IMO. I'd like to go over there while getting my degree. And does studying abroad or going over there on BUNAC or another visa improve your chances of migrating later on? Or does it just come down to being a skilled worker?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,740,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolyy View Post
Yeah, I know a little about visas and the migrating laws. You need a skill that AUS is looking for, and I skimmed through the list earlier.

BUNAC sounds pretty cool, but the studying abroad seems like a better choice IMO. I'd like to go over there while getting my degree. And does studying abroad or going over there on BUNAC or another visa improve your chances of migrating later on? Or does it just come down to being a skilled worker?
Doing a working holiday visa or a 6 month or 1 year student exchange, doesn't add or do anything for you in regards to other visas.

The other option is to find a job that the employer is willing to apply to the Dept of Immigration for a visa for you that usually lasts for 4 years. AFAIK they have to show you are either a unique candidate or they cannot find an Australian for the position.

What I suggest since you are 18 and don't have 5 years of skills or a degree, is not to put the cart in front of the horse. Worrying about skilled migration visas or similar things when they are 10-15 years away is a waste of time, as rules change often anyways.

I'd focus instead on getting a solid resume of skills and a education and if you get the time, do an exchange program down under or do a working holiday visa. That will be the first step where you can find out if you really like Australia and want to invest in living there.

One thing to be aware of is Australian universities charge a steep increase in tuition for international students and right now the US$ to Aus$ exchange rate is extremely poor(near 30 year lows), plus living costs in Australia right now in my opinion, are very high.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:53 PM

What part of Australia would you say fits me the best?

I like the beach, going out sometimes, nature (I wanna see a lot of kangaroos haha), and a city that's big but not really crowded. Perth seems cool, but it's way the hell out west.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 PM

201 posts, read 417,816 times
Big but not crowded, that rules out Sydney. You like the beach and nature. I suggest Brisbane, it's a big city within range of the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast.
Note that you aren't going to see a lot of kangaroos in any big city though, unless you head out into rural areas. They are in huge numbers in outback grasslands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand