U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:27 PM

189 posts, read 146,589 times

Advertisements

I'm American, and I want to travel to Australia someday. I've heard Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne are interesting and fun places to visit. I've read good things about Perth and Adelaide, too, such as them being easy to get around, nice sunny climates, laid-back culture, etc. However, I've also seen some nasty comments, including on this board about how they're boring, have unfriendly people, road rage, and some parts of the cities being poorly kept. Natives (and frequent visitors), can you clear up the misconceptions about the two cities? What are the cities really like, in terms of culture, climate, tourist attractions, and transportation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:14 PM

25 posts, read 64,505 times
A lot of the people who would say such things are usually complete losers in real life.

I would ignore those kinds of comments, a city is what you make it.

If you need non-stop concerts and artificial stimulation to keep you amused, then you probably aren't such an interesting person to begin with!

You will also get mixed messages with lots of people also bashing Sydney and Melbourne, so again, its what you make it.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,645,893 times
I don't know who on here lives in Adelaide, but I know Trimac20, a frequent poster, is a Perth local. Look out for his post. As for me, all I know is Perth seems to be the preferred destination for British immigrants and has a climate similar to southern California, as does Adelaide

Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,275,974 times
After reading this thread for a while, i would say most of the negative feedback about perth comes from the people who live in the city.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:22 PM

3,255 posts, read 3,753,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
After reading this thread for a while, i would say most of the negative feedback about perth comes from the people who live in the city.
Yep. That's my understanding.

Adelaide = Fresno.

*ducks*

Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,019,912 times
I don't think Adelaide is as bad as Fresno.

Haven't made it to Perth yet, but I think Adelaide is not that bad at all. There is a wide variety of scenery to see within a days drive. The city itself is fine for cities it's size. It's got a mix of the ocean nearby and the hills above Adelaide are nice.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:50 AM

24,682 posts, read 50,867,489 times
Well I don't think it's bashing per se...I think it's the cumulative effect of living in the world's most isolated city (don't quibble over technicalities, Auckland at least has Wellington, Chch and cool mountains) for most of my life. It is pretty boring compared to a lot of other cities, but it could be worse. It still has shops, nightlife, beaches.etc. I don't think the people are unfriendly compared to other cities but they're becoming less so IMO. At least it's changing fast, I guess. Dunno where you heard comments that the city was not 'well kept', it's a pretty clean, well-built city, it just lacks a lot of history/character.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,047,401 times
Perth as a smaller city obviously lacks the vibrancy of Sydney or Melbourne, and as Trimac20 said the isolation from other major urban centres does exacerbate this sense of boredom. Until recently (a few weeks ago actually) major shopping centres outside 'tourist precincts' were not permitted to open on Sundays or weeknights which probably didn't lead to Perth gaining a reputation as a particularly vibrant city.

I think there is enough to fill an itinerary when coming to Perth as a visitor such as cruising the Swan River, Swan Valley wineries, Zoo, Rottnest Island and Fremantle; but yeh I'd suspect many people would be surprised they're actually in a city of 1.7 million people, the streets are often rather quiet. I got a similar impression of Adelaide, while it's pelasant enough it isn't particularly exciting either.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,867,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Perth as a smaller city obviously lacks the vibrancy of Sydney or Melbourne, and as Trimac20 said the isolation from other major urban centres does exacerbate this sense of boredom. Until recently (a few weeks ago actually) major shopping centres outside 'tourist precincts' were not permitted to open on Sundays or weeknights which probably didn't lead to Perth gaining a reputation as a particularly vibrant city.

I think there is enough to fill an itinerary when coming to Perth as a visitor such as cruising the Swan River, Swan Valley wineries, Zoo, Rottnest Island and Fremantle; but yeh I'd suspect many people would be surprised they're actually in a city of 1.7 million people, the streets are often rather quiet. I got a similar impression of Adelaide, while it's pelasant enough it isn't particularly exciting either.
Sunday trading is good, I suppose, although personally I'd prefer shops opening to 7-8pm every night (or both). I wonder how this will effect shopping in the city on Sunday, since a lot of people tend to go into town on Sunday's. It won't really feel like Sunday with all the suburban malls opening.

It seems a lot of itineraries to Perth focus on places outside the city. Ever notice how many of the attractions are away from the CBD, you need to get out of the city. AQWA isn't exactly that easy for tourists to get to, you can take a bus or a train/bus, but it still takes close to an hour to get to. We need to make better use of the river with a more extensive ferry system like in Brisbane and Sydney, especially with the new waterfront development. Fremantle is probably the jewel in the crown as far as urban areas go.

I actually think streets here are quite vibrant for a city of 1.7 million. Maybe not by Asian or European standards, but ever been to America? San Diego has 3 million yet their downtown feels more dead than Perth.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,047,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sunday trading is good, I suppose, although personally I'd prefer shops opening to 7-8pm every night (or both). I wonder how this will effect shopping in the city on Sunday, since a lot of people tend to go into town on Sunday's. It won't really feel like Sunday with all the suburban malls opening.
I'd like to see shops open from something like 10am-8pm everyday as well. While this is possible on weeknights at least, it seems only the major supermarkets are taking advantage of this deregulation. Presumably business may go down a bit now that Perth ane Fremantle have lost their priveliged trading position?

Quote:
It seems a lot of itineraries to Perth focus on places outside the city. Ever notice how many of the attractions are away from the CBD, you need to get out of the city. AQWA isn't exactly that easy for tourists to get to, you can take a bus or a train/bus, but it still takes close to an hour to get to. We need to make better use of the river with a more extensive ferry system like in Brisbane and Sydney, especially with the new waterfront development. Fremantle is probably the jewel in the crown as far as urban areas go.
Something like AQWA would definitely be better suited to the foreshore in terms of tourist accessibility, Adventure World is not easily accessible by PT either.

I think planners in the past have sought to avoid building on the river foreshore, leading to large setbacks of reserve and preventing the development of a more expansive ferry network. Hopefully the waterfront development will be successful in reconnecting the city to the river, it's been a much underutilised asset in the past.

Quote:
I actually think streets here are quite vibrant for a city of 1.7 million. Maybe not by Asian or European standards, but ever been to America? San Diego has 3 million yet their downtown feels more dead than Perth.
I've only been to NYC and Boston, but from what I've heard American cities like San Diego which are comparable to Perth do seem to have weak downtowns. Given how suburban the city is I can see why it might seen as relatively vibrant, but the CBD itself is still quite small in size, and there are few vibrant pockets outside Perth, Fremantle and some adjacent, older suburbs imo. That being said I think there has been a notable increase of activity in the city over the last decade, and there are a lot more residents. You can really start to see the city 'spill' into areas of the inner north and west now, I imagine this will accelerate with the sinking of the railway as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand