Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,960 times

Advertisements

I don't know if things are changing or not but it seems a lot of them are starting to act more like men with their speech and attitudes? It seems there was a time when feminine behaviour was more common. It seems like i'm being surrounded by nothing but a bunch of sheilas these days. Anybody else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 03:11 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,263 times
Default Anybody find Australian men a bit wimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobingc View Post
I don't know if things are changing or not but it seems a lot of them are starting to act more like men with their speech and attitudes? It seems there was a time when feminine behaviour was more common. It seems like i'm being surrounded by nothing but a bunch of sheilas these days. Anybody else feel this way?
I don't know if things are changing or not but it seems a lot of them are starting to act more wimpy with their speech and attitudes? It seems there was a time when more gutsy behaviour was more common. It seems like i'm being surrounded by nothing but a bunch of wimps these days. Anybody else feel this way?

It seems some blokes these days just can't cope with real women.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
I don't know if things are changing or not but it seems a lot of them are starting to act more wimpy with their speech and attitudes? It seems there was a time when more gutsy behaviour was more common. It seems like i'm being surrounded by nothing but a bunch of wimps these days. Anybody else feel this way?

Lol, I dunno about masculine, but Australian culture in general can be a bit rough around the edges. On the flip-side, Aussie women seem to love to get all dolled up. Canadian women might be the antithesis on both counts.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 AM

18 posts, read 43,157 times
Oh boy, what an uncontroversial topic title. But I think above poster is right that Aussie women seem to get 'dolled up' more often than their Nth American counterparts. Perhaps because we don't do college over here, we don't have a place where you can be around the opposite sex, in an environment 'rich' in romantic possibility, without everyone being suited up to the nines. Which is kind of a shame, but maybe I'm overgeneralizing based on what the club district of town looks like on a typical weekend.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:05 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobingc View Post
well, give a bit more information. Changing from when, exactly?

What sort of speech, where do you live? Where do you go out? how old are you? How old are these unfeminine women that you're surrounded by?

(Sheila's ? LOL)

Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaidean View Post
Oh boy, what an uncontroversial topic title. But I think above poster is right that Aussie women seem to get 'dolled up' more often than their Nth American counterparts. Perhaps because we don't do college over here, we don't have a place where you can be around the opposite sex, in an environment 'rich' in romantic possibility, without everyone being suited up to the nines. Which is kind of a shame, but maybe I'm overgeneralizing based on what the club district of town looks like on a typical weekend.
Well we do go to university, of course, but it's not like in the states where you go away to live on campus and are very involved in university life. For most people it's mostly about the study, and many live at home, although sure it's still another stage in life when you can meet people.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:05 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well we do go to university, of course, but it's not like in the states where you go away to live on campus and are very involved in university life. For most people it's mostly about the study, and many live at home, although sure it's still another stage in life when you can meet people.
Spot on. The major difference is about the SCHOOL SPIRIT! You feel like you've embeded your 'soul' when you live on campus in typical AMERICAN(not sure about Canada) colleges. You'd never get a sense of community in Australia that you'd get from frats("go Greek!"), college football, dorm life, etc...

Alumni activities also seem to be much more outgoing in the States.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Spot on. The major difference is about the SCHOOL SPIRIT! You feel like you've embeded your 'soul' when you live on campus in typical AMERICAN(not sure about Canada) colleges. You'd never get a sense of community in Australia that you'd get from frats("go Greek!"), college football, dorm life, etc...

Alumni activities also seem to be much more outgoing in the States.
Yes, we kinda get a glimpse into that kind of life in America movies. I think also the fact that the legal age in America is 21 as opposed to 18 means a lot more of the partying and other shenanigans happens on campus as opposed to out in the big wide world as here.

It's interesting that a lot of people in the UK do that too. I met a girl from Cambridge who was going to Oxford to study. I asked her why not stay in Cambridge, which is just as reputable, and she said merely for the experience of living away etc even though it would cost her thousands of pounds extra, especially considering it's so near. I hear Canada is more like Australia, maybe since they are more based around a few metropolitan areas. Wonder what it's like in the rest of the world.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:24 PM

794 posts, read 1,408,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post

Well, are you talking about black men or asian men? There's such a difference, you know.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Well, are you talking about black men or asian men? There's such a difference, you know.
I was actually sending up the OPs original post - you will see it is almost word for word what he says but with a change in few words.

Btw I am neither particularly feminine nor am I masculine - I am just me, a person who happens to be female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand