U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:19 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,831,989 times

Advertisements

To me, there is quite a difference between the US and Canada, if you consider social systems/ institutions, certain social attitudes, demographics....is the difference between Aus and NZ on a similar scale or lesser/ greater difference than between the US & Canada?

Regarding:
- social attitudes
- temperament of ppl (certain places have a higher proportion of certain temperaments)
- demographics
- institutions and their systems
- layout of cities, architecture, planning styles

Even though the countries are separated by water, isn't there more seamlessness between living in both oceanic countries than between the US and Can?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 PM

24,682 posts, read 52,587,494 times
Can't speak too much about US vs Canada, but I do know that pop culture, accents.etc are pretty similar, although there are large regional variations.

Actually Australia and NZ are surprisingly far away. Sydney is more than 2,000 km from Auckland. That is further than Toronto to New Orleans as the crow flies.

I've only really visited NZ once, although I did when I was a baby that doesn't really count obviously. I don't remember all that much about things like infrastructure but it did seem very much like Australia.

Social attitudes tend to be broadly similar. Both countries/cultures are British derived. Australia and NZ can be quite conservative in some ways, yet aren't particularly religious (of course both countries have their share). NZ even less so than Australia. Both have a supposedly egalitarian ethic of giving everyone a 'fair go'. I wouldn't say either is truly racist (although they do have racist legacies), although like any country many are wary of too many new immigrants.

As much as I can generalize a whole group of people, I'd say Australians are stereotyped as being a bit more extroverted/louder, rough, direct, open, expressive.etc. Kiwis certainly can be friendly, although I have met exceptions of course. I'd say NZers have a temperament more in line with the Scots, while Australians are like SE England. Both enjoy sport and recreation, drinking (of course, although Aussies are stereotyped as being drunks) and on the whole neither like to think of themselves as overly intellectual like Europeans.

Demographically both have the typical age structure for first world countries. Oz seems to be growing faster. New Zealand has about the population of Sydney, and even it's largest city Auckland is a small city by world standards. Both are become quite multicultural. I believe in both countries about 20% of 1/5 of the population is born overseas. Auckland and Sydney are about 40% born overseas. Both have a lot of Asians, although New Zealand has less Southern and Eastern Europeans than Australia.

Not sure about institutions in NZ, but both countries have a lot of things like the system of law, parliament based on the British system. Schools, for instance, are pretty similar with primary school and high/secondary school. School uniforms are typical in both.

From what I've seen the cities look pretty similar: most auto-based, although Australian cities have decent public transport IMO. Christchurch is a well planned, sort of gridded city on flat land, while Auckland and Wellington are a lot more influenced by their geography. Cities in both countries are of a similar age so display similar architectural styles, e.g. from Colonial to Victorian, to 'Federation' (which is more an Australian style), Californian bungalow.etc. From what I saw Christchurch and Dunedin both have pretty old feels, the latter feels a bit like a Scottish city. Both are more planned than American cities.

Another difference is Australia is a federation with very strong/autonomous states, while the provinces in New Zealand no longer have any real political purpose/clout. There is still a sense of regionalism, especially in the South Island between say Otago, Canterbury.etc. Much of it is rugby rivalry. Speaking of rugby, rugby is definitely the no. 1 sport in Aotearoa, which AFL is probably the no. 1 here. The exception is still NSW and QLD where rugby league is tops.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 AM

455 posts, read 1,052,845 times
Australia and NZ share a closer connection in direct history as they both were both colonies of britain that were slowly granted their independence.

History wise canada and the US are defined in the different route they went following the american revolution. In reality though i tend to believe there is a general north american regionalism between canadian and american regions.

This is a very rough idea of it so take it with a grain of salt but still an idea none the less.*

Also as trimac touched upon canada and the us sharing an actual border there is much more direct interactions between canadians and americans so that has to play a factor. Take away the more conservative and religious regional elements of the states and i wouldn't say there is a big difference. Leaving that in as a whole though and australia and nz may be more similar culturally.

*The empty quarter section is lacking in this graph leaving out several metro areas.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 AM

24,682 posts, read 52,587,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Australia and NZ share a closer connection in direct history as they both were both colonies of britain that were slowly granted their independence.

History wise canada and the US are defined in the different route they went following the american revolution. In reality though i tend to believe there is a general north american regionalism between canadian and american regions.

This is a very rough idea of it so take it with a grain of salt but still an idea none the less.*

Also as trimac touched upon canada and the us sharing an actual border there is much more direct interactions between canadians and americans so that has to play a factor. Take away the more conservative and religious regional elements of the states and i wouldn't say there is a big difference. Leaving that in as a whole though and australia and nz may be more similar culturally.

*The empty quarter section is lacking in this graph leaving out several metro areas.
Actually as far as direction interaction, the 2,000 odd kilometres that separate us doesn't seem to stop waves of Kiwis coming here. NZ is the biggest group of overseas born in Australia, and Kiwis seem to be everywhere. So we're pretty familiar with them. Like Canadians coming to the US to make it big (Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Jim Carrey, Mike Meyers, Pamela Anderson) there's actually a lot of Kiwis who came to Australia to 'make it' like Russell Crowe and the band Crowded House.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:11 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,922,644 times
Quote:

Canada and the US, as a whole are pretty different. From a purely demographic standpoint, Canada is 75-85% white, where as the United States white (non-hispanic) is about 60-65%.

Culturally we share some things, but it's mostly Canada consuming American pop-culture. Sure we have some Canadian success stories here as mentioned before, but they are products of American media.

Canada is also nowhere near as religious as America. There is also obviously a pretty heavy French influence from Quebec.

How this compares to NZ v Australia, I haven't a clue.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 PM

7,716 posts, read 9,480,575 times
australians are more brash - a bit like americans

kiwis - new zealanders are more reserved - a bit like canadians

Old 09-25-2012, 02:55 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,996,363 times
Canada sent us Justin Beiber and Celine Dion

What cringe worthy Kiwi came to Oz (or vice versa)? Russell Crowe is the only I can think of.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM

3,435 posts, read 4,005,370 times
The historic links are much closer than US-Canada, IMO. NZ is included in the Australian Constitution as one of the founding colonies although they ended up declining to join the Federation. The Anzacs are something that defined both nations.

NZ, IMO, seems a bit more of a welfare state than Australia. While we were very similar economically for decades, over the last 30 years NZ has continued to slide. This is probably the result of a serious brain drain. The Maoris are a much larger portion of the population in NZ than the aborigines are in Australia, which has meant they have had a much stronger political voice.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM

10,687 posts, read 15,115,466 times
From what I can tell.. I think Aus and NZ are much closer to each other than Canada and the US because for a variety of reasons mainly:

- Canada and the US have very different systems of government whereas Aus and NZ have very similar systems of government
- Canada has Quebec and the US doesn't have anything like that.. Aus and NZ seem to be more homogeneous anglophone countries
- The difference in population is greater in Canada vs. the US than Aus vs. NZ
- US fought against the British to gain independence vs. Canada followed much the same path as Aus and NZ...

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 PM

10,687 posts, read 15,115,466 times
Quote:

I don't really understand that map. The empty quarter isn't really empty.. that area has millions of people with relatively large cities like Denver, Las Vegas and Calgary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand