U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,869,855 times

Advertisements

If you could live in any suburb/post-code in Australia that's in a capital city metropolitan area, which would it be?

You can pick a place in each city if you want to:

Perth - Fremantle: While swallowed up in the Perth metro, Fremantle is technically it's own city, with it's own identity, town hall etc. It has the best preserved Victorian and Gold Rush era architecture anywhere in the state. Also a wide choice of dining, a chilled-out Bohemian vibe, the Fremantle markets, and plenty of quaint cottages.

Melbourne - South Yarra: Close to the city, entertainment, a good mix of housing, and relatively safe.

Sydney - Glebe: A charming historic neighbourhood. The limestone reminds me of Fremantle. It's kind of 'chic', but not as pretentious as the eastern suburbs. Lots of nice cafes, restaurants and a pretty easy-going vibe. Easily accessible to Darling Harbour and the City and has those harbour views.

Brisbane - Paddington: Lots of nice 'Queenslanders', has a pretty cosmopolitan vibe, yet also pretty 'small townish' with a lot of gardens/parks.

Adelaide - Somewhere in the Adelaide Hills, very pretty, especially in winter/Spring, or Glen Osmond, which is between the hills and still close to the city.

Hobart - The Sandy Bay neighbourhood feels almost like a colonial museum with lots of quaint, historic, colonial buildings overlooking the Derwent Estuary.

Canberra - Probably somewhere on the lake fairly close to the CBD.

Darwin - Central Darwin
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM

194 posts, read 267,544 times
Canberra- Kambah most definitely

Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM

9,594 posts, read 26,204,642 times
Townsville: Anywhere near the east or north side of Castle Hill. Some really nice expensive homes built on mountainous terrain with rainforest-like landscaping

Newcastle: Cooks Hill, a beach suburb in rolling hills, nice parkland with some cliff lookout points over 50m tall at the edge of the sea. Walkable distance (0.5-3 km?) to Newcastle CBD, Nobby's Beach, Bar Beach and Newcastle's trendy "Darby Street."

Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 6,468,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If you could live in any suburb/post-code in Australia that's in a capital city metropolitan area, which would it be?

You can pick a place in each city if you want to:

Perth - Fremantle: While swallowed up in the Perth metro, Fremantle is technically it's own city, with it's own identity, town hall etc. It has the best preserved Victorian and Gold Rush era architecture anywhere in the state. Also a wide choice of dining, a chilled-out Bohemian vibe, the Fremantle markets, and plenty of quaint cottages.

Melbourne - South Yarra: Close to the city, entertainment, a good mix of housing, and relatively safe.

Sydney - Glebe: A charming historic neighbourhood. The limestone reminds me of Fremantle. It's kind of 'chic', but not as pretentious as the eastern suburbs. Lots of nice cafes, restaurants and a pretty easy-going vibe. Easily accessible to Darling Harbour and the City and has those harbour views.

Brisbane - Paddington: Lots of nice 'Queenslanders', has a pretty cosmopolitan vibe, yet also pretty 'small townish' with a lot of gardens/parks.

Adelaide - Somewhere in the Adelaide Hills, very pretty, especially in winter/Spring, or Glen Osmond, which is between the hills and still close to the city.

Hobart - The Sandy Bay neighbourhood feels almost like a colonial museum with lots of quaint, historic, colonial buildings overlooking the Derwent Estuary.

Canberra - Probably somewhere on the lake fairly close to the CBD.

Darwin - Central Darwin
I not been to all the cities but I agree with Glebe. It is a dog friendly suburb even though it is close to the CBD.

Brisbane: New Farm: It is close to Brisbane River and close access to the city. It is quite relaxed and very cosmopolitan.

Melbourne: South Bank is the best. It right in the city and living in the skyscrapers would be fantastic. Plus the shopping centre, cafes, bars and places to eat.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 PM

4,515 posts, read 6,476,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I not been to all the cities but I agree with Glebe. It is a dog friendly suburb even though it is close to the CBD.

Brisbane: New Farm: It is close to Brisbane River and close access to the city. It is quite relaxed and very cosmopolitan.

Melbourne: South Bank is the best. It right in the city and living in the skyscrapers would be fantastic. Plus the shopping centre, cafes, bars and places to eat.
New Farm is also my favourite suburb in Brisbane. I really don't know enough about the other cities, although i do like St Kilda, and normally stay there when I get to Melbourne.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,470,407 times
Sydney - like lower North Shore suburbs of Cammeray and Northbridge, close to the city but secluded.
Brisbane - around Toowong area is nice and user friendly.
Melbourne - Elwood area.
Perth - South Perth area.
Adelaide- probably Glenelg, but don't know this city that well.
Hobart - anywhere in the inner city, Salamanca?, it is like a big suburb to me anyway.
Newcastle - New Lambton
Gold Coast - Southport
Canberra - Manuka
Darwin - never been, but would be prefer close to the city in such a small city.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,787,757 times
I've lived in places such as Nob Hill in SF, the Upper West Side of NYC, Greenwich, CT.. but I was quite happy in
North Adelaide
North Adelaide - South Australia

Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,102,306 times
I've lived in 3 of those cities. I am going to name some rather obscure suburbs that not many people who don't live in those cities would know that well:

Sydney - I like Arncliffe - the west side. It has a rather higgledy-piggledy charm about it and you can get some great views of the city when walking up towards Forest Road. If you keep walking, you come to Bardwell Valley which is charming in itself as well.

Here is some real estate showing the views - the first house is a nice Federation one, the second one admittedly not particularly attractive but massive with great views:

10 Waratah Street, Arncliffe, NSW 2205 - House for Sale #111824067 - realestate.com.au
14 Duff Street, Arncliffe, NSW 2205 - House for Sale #111823331 - realestate.com.au

I also like Lilyfield.

Another suburb I like is Millers Point - probably the nicest housing commission in the country.

Melbourne - I've lived in all over Melbourne but I rather like Ascot Vale and surrounding suburbs - Ascot Vale is on a hill and there are some great views from some of its houses.

Brisbane - I like around Paddington up to Barden with their Queenslander houses, again there are great views. I had a friend who lived in South Brisbane and looked out over the river to the city. Also, Ascot has some gorgeous Queenslanders - which are my favourite type of Australian housing.

Adelaide - I've only visited there but I did like North Adelaide.

Canberra - if I worked in Canberra, I would rather commute from the surrounding country, eg Yass, Gunning etc.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:11 PM

44 posts, read 124,877 times
In sydney, mosman which is beautiful. Check out military drive very nice. The schools good, and wealthy

Old 10-27-2012, 05:32 AM

25 posts, read 65,512 times
Newcastle - New Lambton, Kotara, New Lambton Heights.
Canberra - Inner North - can't stand gungahlin!
Sydney - North all the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand