Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times

Advertisements

She'll be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar1 View Post
bush week: what do you think this is, bush week?
Do you think I’m stupid? An indignant response to someone who is taking you for a fool - 'You’re going to charge me how much? What do you think this is, bush week?' Bush week is a time when people from the country come to a city, originally when bush produce etc. was displayed; and it is also a celebration in a town or city of bush produce, activities, etc. These senses of bush week go back to the early 20th century. The phrase originally implied the notion that people from the country are easily fooled by the more sophisticated city slickers. The speaker resents being mistaken for a country bumpkin. The phrase is first recorded in the 1940s.
lol! I haven't heard that in ages!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 03:51 PM

102 posts, read 96,994 times
I hope your chooks turn into Emus and they peck your dunny down.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:18 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Suntanned Cockneys
Pretty much ...even though I'm responding to a 5-year-old post.

Although the average Australian tends to believe that they own them, many of their words, terms - and even the accent itself - stem originally from that of the London Cockney. In fact, in early British films the part of 'an Australian' would often be played by someone with a Cockney accent since the film-makers believed it to be close to Australian.

Thankfully, in my opinion, most Australians of today seem to have moved away from this 'Cockney connection'.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:58 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Perhaps among the early convicts Cockneys were over representative. Hence a distant similarity but never found it or delivery very similar.

Always found The Cockney having far more 'gift of the gab' as the English like to say. Aussies tend not to drop the first syllable either. Words like bottle come to mind.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:09 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Pretty much ...even though I'm responding to a 5-year-old post.

Although the average Australian tends to believe that they own them, many of their words, terms - and even the accent itself - stem originally from that of the London Cockney. In fact, in early British films the part of 'an Australian' would often be played by someone with a Cockney accent since the film-makers believed it to be close to Australian.

Thankfully, in my opinion, most Australians of today seem to have moved away from this 'Cockney connection'.
I've never know an Aussie who thought rhyming slang was an Aussie invention.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:13 PM

4,224 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Or who believed they owned the Cockney accent.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:44 AM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
I never said anything about rhyming slang. However, is it mere coincidence that the only ones who use this form of speech are - wait for it - Australians and the London Cockneys? That said, in real life I've heard very little actual rhyming slang during my tenure here in Australia. It seems to be more of a movie or TV thing whenever Australians are portrayed as (basically) country bumpkins. And, something that I've never figured out is why so many Australians appear to be okay with this rather embarrassing image.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:03 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I never said anything about rhyming slang. However, is it mere coincidence that the only ones who use this form of speech are - wait for it - Australians and the London Cockneys? That said, in real life I've heard very little actual rhyming slang during my tenure here in Australia. It seems to be more of a movie or TV thing whenever Australians are portrayed as (basically) country bumpkins. And, something that I've never figured out is why so many Australians appear to be okay with this rather embarrassing image.
Well given rhyming slang is the most prominent element of the cockney dialect, it is a reasonable assumption to make.

Aussies use of rhyming slang did of course derive from cockney London, as everyone knows. No one thinks it is uniquely Aussie or "owned" by Aussies.

Those who use it are more likely to be the types you mentioned. They are also the least likely to give any care to what others think of them or be embarrassed by how they are viewed by outsiders.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:35 PM

4,224 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
Those who use it are more likely to be the types you mentioned. They are also the least likely to give any care to what others think of them or be embarrassed by how they are viewed by outsiders.
I use rhyming slang a fair bit. Usually ironically though.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:37 AM

239 posts, read 158,624 times
'Argus Tuft'. Is a classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand