Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
I remember once I was in Cambodia, and this British tourist overheard me speak to my brother in English - and she proceeded to tell me it was nice seeing a fellow English tourist and whereabouts from England I'm from.

I've never even been to England. But yes, I remember this English girl that I met online agreed that Australian accents do have a vague resemblance to English accents, and she mentioned that Australians always sound like they're asking a question, aha.
Once when I was in Idaho in the US someone said to me... "You people from back east....." I didn't quite know how to respond to that.

Later on during the same trip myself and the two other Aussies I was travelling with lined up at McDonalds for a meal. My order was taken, no comment at all. My friend placed her order, and no comment was made. But when my other friend placed her order the shop assistant immediately looked her straight in the eye, smiled, and asked "are you from Australia.."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,607 times
my bf is from oz and his accent is nothing like his mums.. or dads for that matter (both have very different accents or is it the way they enunciate?) .. I really have to listen to them..and sadly I teased him about ya reckon.. and now the poor bloke has banished that from his cute aussie vocabulary!..
and what is up with shortening the words.. afternoon.. arvo??

sad state of affairs here

Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 AM

672 posts, read 756,957 times
Australia's is truly the worst accent on God's green Earth. It's abrasive, dissonant and makes the speaker sound unintelligent. Even in its mildest forms, there's a vulgar serration to it. All those 'oi' and 'ohr' sounds. Yuck.

Funnily enough, the softest incarnations I've heard are from natives of Sydney's Inner West... and the NSW Central Coast. I couldn't say why.

Anyway, trying to cover up your accent by putting on an English or American one is terribly gauche. There's really no escape: you are what you are. If you want to avoid sounding like a racist screeching on a Melbourne bus, just prune it - clip your vowel endings and make sure your idiomatic habits are kept in check.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:47 AM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
Australia's is truly the worst accent on God's green Earth. It's abrasive, dissonant and makes the speaker sound unintelligent. Even in its mildest forms, there's a vulgar serration to it. All those 'oi' and 'ohr' sounds. Yuck.

Funnily enough, the softest incarnations I've heard are from natives of Sydney's Inner West... and the NSW Central Coast. I couldn't say why.

Anyway, trying to cover up your accent by putting on an English or American one is terribly gauche. There's really no escape: you are what you are. If you want to avoid sounding like a racist screeching on a Melbourne bus, just prune it - clip your vowel endings and make sure your idiomatic habits are kept in check.
Way better than Indian accent!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Way better than Indian accent!
That's right. And way, way better than Kiwi, South African, or upper class English........or working class English.....or Southern English generally... and of course the indecipherable northern English...and I'd say Irish as well........

Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:

HEY control freak. why don't you stop trying to make it seem that everyone hates Aussie accents. I happen to dig them. Aussies don't change anything, your accent has admires from 9,400 miles away

Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 PM

672 posts, read 756,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
HEY control freak. why don't you stop trying to make it seem that everyone hates Aussie accents. I happen to dig them. Aussies don't change anything, your accent has admires from 9,400 miles away
Heh, I am a control freak, but I was really advocating that people not bother to change their accents, only to clean up their speech. Pride, Australia

Old 06-15-2013, 09:49 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Once when I was in Idaho in the US someone said to me... "You people from back east....." I didn't quite know how to respond to that.
I was at a pub in London with some Philly friends (and their philly accents) and the guys next to us asked if they were Australian.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:30 PM

107 posts, read 138,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
I remember once I was in Cambodia, and this British tourist overheard me speak to my brother in English - and she proceeded to tell me it was nice seeing a fellow English tourist and whereabouts from England I'm from.

I've never even been to England. But yes, I remember this English girl that I met online agreed that Australian accents do have a vague resemblance to English accents, and she mentioned that Australians always sound like they're asking a question, aha.
People from Western Australia sound MUCH more like England.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:45 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
Quote:

Lol cultural cringe much?

Quote:
People from Western Australia sound MUCH more like England.
Wouldn't say West Australians sound that much more English, but the broad Australian accent does seem less common here. We do get more than our fair share of British immigrants so that would have some influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand