U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM

24 posts, read 140,385 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading this! So for the past year ive been trying to figure where to move to and attempt to start a life. Ive thought everywhere from NYC to Toronto to Dublin, and ive finally decided Australia. I sent in my visa application and now its time to decide to where to go!

the cities im deciding between are MELBOURNE, SYDNEY, and BRISBANE.

Ive heard good and bad bout all three

Melbourne, i hear, artsty and funky, but also, hipster and boring

Sydney is beautiful, but expensive with mean people

Brisbane is smaller and cheaper than the other two, but empty and boring.

So my question is to ANYONE who has ever lived or visited these cities! What did you think? Tell me your experiences!

Also, as for me. Im 23. a recent college graduate, gay (but i dont demand a large gay community or bars or anything...just need somewhere that isn't too conservative) , love sunny warm weather, cafes and good food, outdoor activities, movies.

So i know my interests probably contradict a lot as to what city is "best" but tell me your thoughts. im really eager to hear them!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM

2,704 posts, read 3,287,192 times
Hmm...I'd say Melbourne is anything but boring. It's like a girl (or guy, in your case!) who doesn't give away all her secrets the first time you meet her. Melbourne is more European feeling than many European cities. A lot of the fun of Melbourne is discovering secret little cafes and bars in city laneways.

Sydney tends to be a bit flashier/material than Melbourne, I wouldn't call us Sydneysiders mean though. Although I do think the difference between the two cities is not as great as is often made out. If you want an LA type lifestyle then Sydney will be closer to that than Melbourne. In the Summer, Sydney is fantastic beaches/harbour etc but in the Winter it can get a bit bleak and tends to quieten down a bit.

Until about 5 years ago because of the cost of getting liquor licenses Sydney's bars tended to be big "get as many in as you can" type places. Since the change there are more smaller bars starting to pop up but large still dominates much more than in Melbourne.

Brisbane has come along way in the last 10 years but, imo, is still running a distant third to Sydney and Melbourne. Nightlife is still a good 10-15 years behind Sydney and Melbourne. And if you're a foodie then Brisbane can feel a bit like you're stuck in the late 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand