U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:39 PM

794 posts, read 1,303,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablico View Post
There are Latinos in Australia, here and there. But not as many as Asians and Middle Eastern people. What do you mean by clubs? Because there are a lot of clubs in Australia.
Not like in America there aren't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:07 PM

479 posts, read 513,535 times
Yeah, well that's for sure. That is why I said "here and there".

Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 AM

794 posts, read 1,303,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Yeah, well that's for sure. That is why I said "here and there".
No, the clubs. It's a classic sort of comment from someone who has no idea how much they don't know, like the guy on here who was insisting that Australia had FICO.

For an American to get into college they need to be in clubs What Are the Best Extracurricular Activities? -- College Admissions Tips

There are tons, and they all actually do them, unlike in Australian schools.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 PM

991 posts, read 1,617,514 times
If the OP is considering returning to the US for college and/or high school he may want to consider the American International School. As for level of interracial activity and religious education it really depends on the school and area. There are, much like NYC, three types of school, public, parochial and private. The privates tend to have the strictest religious requirements, when I attended it was mandatory to take religion classes and to pass them, parochials (places like Marist brothers or Christian brothers) have religion classes but usually aren't as strict and then you have public which have an optional scripture class. Private schools and parochials have daily prayer and weekly mass (although that I understand is waning). There are definitely areas of Sydney where you will not have the ethnic mix, such as the Eastern Suburbs or the North Shore, think of those places as the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

WCG and Jehane are correct in that the club and extracurricular culture is not as big as in the United States. Privates and selective public schools (i.e. magnet schools) have groups which are much like the clubs but they tend to be not as well supported or funded. And often those groups and teams are highly selective and only provide an opportunity for a handful of students.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:50 PM

5,283 posts, read 8,668,683 times
OP, you're going to encounter the same cliques in Australian High schools.
Same types of students.....the sluts, the jocks, the stoners, the gays, the populars, the lesbians, the ppl that are not christian, the muslims, the whatever. You're Asian and Latino? so what.... you'll be treated just like anyone else. And ostentatious displays of religion like "I'm christian" will not make u likeable.

Cheers!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:40 PM

2,638 posts, read 3,448,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
my catholic highschool had muslims and greek orthodox students
I went to a catholic high school as well and we had jews, hindus and muslims but most people were like me - nominally catholic who didn't care about religion at all.

I think most people these days go to the private/religious schools for the quality of the education - not the religion.

Also, there are quite a few "latinos" here in Brisbane although for the most part that label doesn't get used and most people call them "South Americans" because most of them are from Columbia, Ecuador, Chile or Peru.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,806,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I went to a catholic high school as well and we had jews, hindus and muslims but most people were like me - nominally catholic who didn't care about religion at all.

I think most people these days go to the private/religious schools for the quality of the education - not the religion.

Also, there are quite a few "latinos" here in Brisbane although for the most part that label doesn't get used and most people call them "South Americans" because most of them are from Columbia, Ecuador, Chile or Peru.
I agree on both your points. There's heaps of South Americans in the eastern beaches these days.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 PM

14,780 posts, read 15,675,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post

Agree, the religion you are isn't a big deal.. Barely spoken about . Which is good

And yep a few Sth Americans around....Melbourne has a Latin festival every year in Johnston St. Heaps of fun

Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 PM

231 posts, read 293,895 times
I've probably only met 3 South Americans in Melbourne my whole life, they arent really the type of people that you will discover naturally, because they are so small in numbers you have to actually go find them, im sure they have social clubs around. I'd imagine its like that everywhere in Australia.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 AM

206 posts, read 376,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving to Australia View Post
Hello, yes i just saw the thread below but it really didn't answer my questions what a how ironic...anyways I currently live in New York city i go to high school there and my dad just recently got a job in Sydney and i will be going to high school there. I have no idea what high school is like there, i have no idea how they are too foreigners. I am a Christian and i went to a Christian high school in NYC but i can tell you no one was a Christian, the students did drugs, did things at each other houses, did lots of alcohol and at school dances i felt like it was just a big orgy with everyone grinding listening to all the rap music, anyways i really hope high school isn't like that in Australia.
It can be it, it really depends on the school.
Note that Australia does not have the same laws on separation of church and state as such, so you will find that christianity is an optional class in most schools. However, nobody is really religious, it's just not cool.

Quote:
i really felt disgusting every day after being there, also is there lots of diversity, i am a mixed student(Asian and latino) i hope there are a lot of ethnics in Sydney as there were at my high school which was Asian, latino, Arabic and Black.
Sydney is incredibly diverse. However we do not have a great many latinos or blacks. You will find your school will likely have a great mix of people, white, asian, arabic and indian will be the most common ethnic groups you will encounter.

Quote:
Also how are the school lunches there, the school lunches here are terrible they tried to start this organic lunch thing here and the prices like doubled
School lunch isn't really a thing in this country. It's generally expected that your parents will make you lunch and you'll take it to school. However schools do provide stores with lunches. You would be able to buy things like hotdogs, meat pies, pizza etc.

Quote:
another thing is how are teachers and how would they treat me since I'm American?
They wouldn't take much notice, in Sydney we're used to being around people from all over the world, it's a cosmopolitan city.
That being said though, an American accent is one of the most quirky and interesting to listen to, so I expect you won't entirely get away without some jokes from other students.
And, get used to the idea of having to wear a school uniform, as Australian schools do not allow casual clothing.

Last edited by Mornnb; 11-03-2013 at 04:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand