U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:25 AM

2,170 posts, read 4,803,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
That being said though, an American accent is one of the most quirky and interesting to listen to, so I expect you won't entirely get away without some jokes from other students.
And, get used to the idea of having to wear a school uniform, as Australian schools do not allow casual clothing.
I think most Americans are stunned, when they travel abroad to other English-speaking countries, to realize they have an accent. We often assume that our broad Midwestern way of speaking English (not including regional variations like Southerners or Bostonians) is the "normal" and "default" way of speaking of English and that everyone else is quirky with their accents. So it's a shock when someone comes up and says they love your accent or try to guess which state you're from (since there are 50 of 'em, that can take awhile).

Growing up going to parochial school, I had to wear a uniform and didn't care for it. Now, when I compare American public school kids in their sagging pants and T-shirts to Aussie school kids in their uniforms, the Americans just seem slovenly and ill-kempt. I like the look of uniforms now. At least, the Aussie kids look like they're ready to learn something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 02:19 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,807,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
It can be it, it really depends on the school.
Note that Australia does not have the same laws on separation of church and state as such, so you will find that christianity is an optional class in most schools. However, nobody is really religious, it's just not cool.
I only went to a public school until year 3, so my experience is almost 25 years old but I remember at my public school during "scripture" (which I think was half an hour on Tuesday mornings) you could either go to Jewish/Catholic/Church of England or non-scripture (no religion). So while it is there, it's certainly not forced down your throat. I was nominally Catholic and I remember we had a very nice old lady who would bring us lollies and tell us stories, not really fire and brimstone stuff. Don't they have some sort of ethics class that has now replaced the "non-scripture" class?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 AM

2,638 posts, read 3,449,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Don't they have some sort of ethics class that has now replaced the "non-scripture" class?
A lot of the better public high schools will offer a comparative religion course as an elective but I think ethics isn't necessarily a course but built into the curriculum in a lot of other ways.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 AM

9,336 posts, read 20,685,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I think most Americans are stunned, when they travel abroad to other English-speaking countries, to realize they have an accent. We often assume that our broad Midwestern way of speaking English (not including regional variations like Southerners or Bostonians) is the "normal" and "default" way of speaking of English and that everyone else is quirky with their accents. So it's a shock when someone comes up and says they love your accent or try to guess which state you're from (since there are 50 of 'em, that can take awhile).

Growing up going to parochial school, I had to wear a uniform and didn't care for it. Now, when I compare American public school kids in their sagging pants and T-shirts to Aussie school kids in their uniforms, the Americans just seem slovenly and ill-kempt. I like the look of uniforms now. At least, the Aussie kids look like they're ready to learn something.
I don't think so. Americans know there are different English accents, they are exposed to TV, movies, etc
They def know there is a Brit, Canadian and Oz (albeit the cringe worthy Steve Irwin variety). They may not be able to distinguish between Oz and Kiwi or Oz and Pommie..

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 AM

2,170 posts, read 4,803,307 times
I don't disagree. Of course, Americans know there are different accents out there.

What I'm saying is that many Americans express shock when a non-American English speaker says they -- the Americans -- have an accent. Often, the American will respond that Americans (especially Midwestern or West Coast Americans, the "normal," broad American accent) don't have an accent, when, of course, they do. I've seen it happen too many times. Anecdotal perhaps but I do think it's telling.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 PM

671 posts, read 766,459 times
OP, do not be ashamed to practice your religion openly. I have read a few suggestions that you should keep it quiet. It is obviously somewhat important to you so perhaps you can try to find people your age who feel the same way. This will give you something in common and will help you make friends faster. Try the internet but do not give out any personal information unless you discuss it with your parents and you meet the other teen in a public place.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM

19,737 posts, read 17,555,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I don't think so. Americans know there are different English accents, they are exposed to TV, movies, etc
They def know there is a Brit, Canadian and Oz (albeit the cringe worthy Steve Irwin variety). They may not be able to distinguish between Oz and Kiwi or Oz and Pommie..
When I was in the the States I was asked few times if I was a South African. The first time it happened, I was literally lost for words.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
When I was in the the States I was asked few times if I was a South African. The first time it happened, I was literally lost for words.
What? Yanks don't really have a lot of exposure to SA people...

Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I don't disagree. Of course, Americans know there are different accents out there.

What I'm saying is that many Americans express shock when a non-American English speaker says they -- the Americans -- have an accent. Often, the American will respond that Americans (especially Midwestern or West Coast Americans, the "normal," broad American accent) don't have an accent, when, of course, they do. I've seen it happen too many times. Anecdotal perhaps but I do think it's telling.
Ohh now I understand the point you were making.. Sorry

Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM

19,737 posts, read 17,555,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What? Yanks don't really have a lot of exposure to SA people...
It was at the same time as one of the Lethal Weapon Movies, and the South Africans were the baddies, hence the "awareness" -or that's my theory anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand