U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:51 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,838,566 times

Advertisements

I know there are a ton of these threads, but opinions change over time (mostly based on the US standing in the world and how much we seem to be abusing our power to push other countries around). My wife, daughter, and I will be going to Australia (Sydney/Melbourne) for the first time, next week.

I understand that (obviously) not all Aussies are the same and that there will always be a group that hates outsiders and a group that loves outsiders, but in general, what would you say the current climate is there for American tourists?

I would have always assumed that Australians would be more open to American tourists than most countries are to American tourists, but I thought I'd ask.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 03:18 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,543,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I understand that (obviously) not all Aussies are the same and that there will always be a group that hates outsiders and a group that loves outsiders, but in general, what would you say the current climate is there for American tourists?

I would have always assumed that Australians would be more open to American tourists than most countries are to American tourists, but I thought I'd ask.
In a lot of ways the Australian world view is not that much different to America's. Whether you consider that "good" or "bad" is up to you.

While the US plays "global cop" to a degree, Australia has generally been involved in a lot of the same conflicts/issues, and likes to exert "regional influence" in places like East Timor, the Solomon Islands, and the SW Pacific generally. And Australia's own stance on issues like border security is controversial enough; most Aussies would not even think about lecturing other countries on those sorts of issues.

A few Americans I've run into over the last few years seemed very apologetic, which I found odd. Yep, a lot of Aussies didn't think much of GW Bush, but they were equally unimpressed by our PM of the time John Howard, aka "Bonsai" as in little bush....

Last edited by Richard1098; 11-17-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM

14,787 posts, read 15,651,210 times
Quote:
I know there are a ton of these threads, but opinions change over time (mostly based on the US standing in the world and how much we seem to be abusing our power to push other countries around). My wife, daughter, and I will be going to Australia (Sydney/Melbourne) for the first time, next week.

The same its always been, and probably always will be - we like Americans. Just don't be too loud

Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post

While the US plays "global cop" to a degree, Australia has generally been involved in a lot of the same conflicts/issues
OMG "Global cop" Richard seriously that's incredibly naive and VERY American! , there is a war going on for global resources its bean raging for decades especially in the Middle East. There is no coincidence the Middle East has the largest Oil Reserves and the US/West is so heavily involved there. Exchange the word "cop" for "bully" and that's a lot closer.

All that said, pretty much the entire West owes its wealth to this resource control, those of us that complain are largely hypocrites as we enjoy the standard of living.

Those that have the biggest guns rule the world, its ALWAYS been that way.

As people Americans are usually friendly and usually mean well.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:10 PM

Let's try this again.

How can we expect to be treated as American tourists in Australia these days? Are Aussies in general still happy to see American visitors?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 PM

14,787 posts, read 15,651,210 times
Quote:
Let's try this again.

How can we expect to be treated as American tourists in Australia these days? Are Aussies in general still happy to see American visitors?
Yes. Why wouldn't we be?
Not sure why you're talking about "these days".

Old 11-17-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
OMG "Global cop" Richard seriously that's incredibly naive and VERY American! , there is a war going on for global resources its bean raging for decades especially in the Middle East. There is no coincidence the Middle East has the largest Oil Reserves and the US/West is so heavily involved there. Exchange the word "cop" for "bully" and that's a lot closer.

All that said, pretty much the entire West owes its wealth to this resource control, those of us that complain are largely hypocrites as we enjoy the standard of living.

Those that have the biggest guns rule the world, its ALWAYS been that way.

As people Americans are usually friendly and usually mean well.
I know you Kiwis see some things very differently to Aussies but what's factually incorrect about that statement.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Let's try this again.

Why wouldn't we be happy to see American visitors, whether here for a holiday or short stay for work?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Why wouldn't we be happy to see American visitors, whether here for a holiday or short stay for work?
It was more about Americans than it was about Aussies. I know that when a good friend of mine went to Australia in 2003, he found most Aussies interested in talking to him and excited to see an American tourist. I wasn't sure if the Bush years and a decade of our standing degrading around the world would lead to Aussies being a little "less" excited about running in to an American.

For example, it used to be that Americans were treated pretty well in a lot of countries where we are now seen as annoying, pushy nuisances. When I was last in Prague, we were treated quite terribly by the locals who, upon finding out we were American, got hostile and nasty rather quickly; no matter how humble, apologetic, and nice we were to them.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yes. Why wouldn't we be?
Not sure why you're talking about "these days".
My sincere apologies. When I posted my "let's try this again" post, I was on my phone and completely missed your first post. All I saw was the next couple posts where it looked like the thread was veering off in to another galaxy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand