Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:40 PM

31 posts, read 105,677 times

Advertisements

Anyone moving here or want to know details will try to answer your questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 01:00 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
I actually post on a guitar forum based out of NZ.Nice people on there,humor and beer (besides guitars) are always big topics lol!,though American beer is often cut down as weak Pee water,can't argue that.I'm the lone American so sometimes I feel like I must defend certain topics that come up,but overall I have been very welcomed by that community,of course love of music knows no borders anyway.

I have come to realize that NZ has many social and economic problems just like America,for instance the Maori.

Weapons training camps in anti-terror raids | The News is NowPublic.com

While NZ is known for it's incredible nature ,the people themselves make it a interesting place to me also.Maybe one day I'll see it in person.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:48 PM

The police actually went way over top on that anti terror raid,as it proved nothing was ever concrete in police investigation. It was actually the first so called"terror" raid in NZL,and it happened to make worlds headlines,which is kind of sad cause police made it into a big deal when it wasnt much at all.
Yeah we do have a few problems but which country doesn't. Social economic class affects all people round the world. In general though the Maori population are economically better off than many other indigenous people in other countries

Old 11-24-2007, 02:25 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI from downunder View Post
The police actually went way over top on that anti terror raid,as it proved nothing was ever concrete in police investigation. It was actually the first so called"terror" raid in NZL,and it happened to make worlds headlines,which is kind of sad cause police made it into a big deal when it wasnt much at all.
Yeah we do have a few problems but which country doesn't. Social economic class affects all people round the world. In general though the Maori population are economically better off than many other indigenous people in other countries

Wasn't it us that took the Maori land from them?? So what even if they are economically better off than any other indigenous population.. when I lived in NZ I thought that the white (immigrant) population were disrespectful to the Maori and ignored the way they have been treated.. (unless they like to use the Haka that is )

Old 11-24-2007, 05:27 PM

hey I didn't mean to bring only a negative topic about NZ,I brought it up only because alot of people have limited knowledge about NZ,mostly about it's natural eco tourism,not realizing that most other first world countries deal with similiar topics also.

Do you fish at all?I'm wondering what kind of fresh water fish there are in the lakes besides the salt water fish.You should post some personal photos also,personal photos are better at seeing things from a perspective away from tourism photos,thanks.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:27 PM

yeah i fish all the time,in NZL we only have trout and Salmon and eels in our rivers,lakes.
less desirable fish like Koi carp also found,these are actually big problem as they are found in HUGE numbers in north island rivers.Can catch as many as you like of these fish,growing up to 20pound.Cant eat them though.D.O.C{Department of conservation}trying to figure out ways to cull there numbers.

I watch the bass fisherman in the states competing,great job they got.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 PM

12 posts, read 67,730 times
Default Looking to Move to NZ

I'm a 25 year old looking to move from California.
The reasons in which I'm moving from California are complicated. I love it here, but at the same time, feel like I need to try something new before it's too late. Me and my current roommate will be going on this 1-2 year move together.
I've heard NUMEROUS amazing things about New Zealand.

Few questions..feel free to answer whatever you'd like.

Do you recommend a move there for two men in their mid-twenties? We are very goal/work orientated and success motivates us, BUT at the same time, love the nightlife, love beautiful women , and need there to be things for us to do during the weekends and days. (we go to the beach, hike, etc)
When it comes to moving there, how easy is it to do? ie getting sponsored for employment and so forth.
How are prices when it comes to day by day living, rent, etc...I doubt it can be any worst than Southern California.
ANY info would help. I know this is very broad. Thank you

Old 12-02-2007, 09:35 AM

What are some of the more popular cars?What do you personally like to do besides fishing.What are the differences between Kiwi's and Aussie's as far as outlook,personality and living wise....without starting a` flame lol!?

Do Kiwi's overall feel close ties to England or more individualism toward NZ?

CHEERS

Old 12-03-2007, 12:45 AM

Cars: Mainly Japanese cars Toyotas,Mitsubishi,Honda,Subaru,Mazda,Holden.
Some European cars Mercedes,Volvo,Renault
There are a few American classic cars mainly at car shows Cadilacs,Chevys,Pontiac.

Petrol is $1.75 a litre. almost a record price.

NZL,Aussies are like family. We associate more with Aussie than any other county similiar to USA,Canada. Sports,beer,beaches we are all associated with same interests. We seam to be getting beaten on the sports field lately though by the aussies.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI from downunder View Post
Cars: Mainly Japanese cars Toyotas,Mitsubishi,Honda,Subaru,Mazda,Holden.
Some European cars Mercedes,Volvo,Renault
There are a few American classic cars mainly at car shows Cadilacs,Chevys,Pontiac.

Petrol is $1.75 a litre. almost a record price.

NZL,Aussies are like family. We associate more with Aussie than any other county similiar to USA,Canada. Sports,beer,beaches we are all associated with same interests. We seam to be getting beaten on the sports field lately though by the aussies.
actually I feel closer to Aussies-Kiwi's or even people in the UK than Canada.America and Canada share close ties in some aspects but actually I here more negative remarks from Canadians than from down under.

I think it has to do with the spirit of rugged individualism and history of being black sheep from England,like the other thread explains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand