Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Compare these two cities by the following categories. I'll get the ball rolling:

Climate: Both very good by world standards, it all depends on whether you prefer a drier, Mediterranean feeling with hot, dry summers and cool-mild, wet winters, or Brisbane's sub-tropical pattern of hot, humid summers and mild-warm, dry winters. I'll take Brisbane with it's storms and summer rain, and winters where you can walk around in a T-shirt and shorts.

Skyline: Perth edges out in this one. Although Brisbane's is slightly larger, the Swan is a larger river which just offers a prettier aspect. Brisbane's is nothing to laugh at, though.

Employment: Both good at the moment, Brisbane probably still better, especially for hospitality, and IT.

Shopping: Queen St Mall is a bit nicer with more greenery than Hay and Murray, but overall shopping in the CBD is similar, with both having a good variety of high-street stores, malls and department stores like Myer. Out in the suburbs, both are dominated by strip shopping and shopping centres. Perth has more nice inner precincts like Subiaco, and also boasts Fremantle. Perth might actually edge out Brisbane here.

Food: Perth is better for Italian, but Brisbane has more variety over the board. Brissie has some nice inner city dining precincts like on the west bank and in Southbank. A draw.

Recreational/parks: Brisbane is the clear winner. It has a more accessible botanical gardens, well manicured gardens and parklands at Southbank, and Mount Coot-tha and the Gap. Perth has Kings Park, but it's a bit far from the city. Brisbane's parklands are greener, more lush and tropical, and more integration.

Nightlife: Rather similar, but I think Brisbane has more varied entertainment options. Fortitude Valley is not quite as intimidating as Northbridge at night.

Friendliness of people: I would say very similar. Both are friendly by urban Australian standards. Less people having random convos with you, but are generally glad to help.

Public transport: Again, pretty even, Brisbane slightly better. Roma street transit centre is a bit old but pretty good. Brissie's trains are older than Perth's, and run a bit less frequently. Bus system's are similar.

Crime: Perth is probably somewhat worse, especially with burglaries and petty theft. Both have areas that are a bit iffy.

Natural attractions: Both cities are hard to beat, but you've got to give this one to Brisbane. With such nearby attractions as Springbrook N.P., Lamington/Gold coast hinterland, the Sunshine coast, Glasshouse Mountains, and of course Moreton and Nth Stradbroke Island, there are plenty of places to escape to. Perth's drawcards are it's beaches and it's forest-clad hills. Both are great outdoor cities, but Brisbane offers more nice days in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 02:47 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
You might want to consider real estate affordability as another factor, Perth has now eclipsed Sydney as the most expensive city in Australia.
Parklands are great, but when you consider how hot both of these cities get in summer, adequate shade becomes a mitigating factor.
Perth is considerably hotter than corresponding latitudes on the east coast, but winters and early spring are cool and wet.
Brisbane summers are hot and humid, especially in the latter half and well into March.
I am past the nightlife stage, so don't care for that.
They are both good quality cities, and have left Adelaide far behind in population and economic growth.
Educational facilities and univeristies etc are similar.
Both cities still have a bit of anit-east and anti-south sentiment respectively, but it is more deep-rooted in Perth, hopefully this is changing.
On all counts considered Perth is my pick if I had to relocate, mainly due to it's superior beaches and coastline, slightly more moderate climate, and accessibility to the magnificent south-west.
And if they ask you "where have you come from?", just lie!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:03 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
You might want to consider real estate affordability as another factor, Perth has now eclipsed Sydney as the most expensive city in Australia.
Again? Bizarre, isn't it? What on earth would make real estate prices so expensive here? It's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Both cities still have a bit of anit-east and anti-south sentiment respectively, but it is more deep-rooted in Perth, hopefully this is changing.
I doubt it. Eastern-Staters are Satan's Spawn according to many Perthlings. Anything they have, we absolutely don't want to ever have over here. And there are just too many of them over here agitating to make things the same like over there (you know, like, progressive and stuff).

Old 12-06-2009, 03:53 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Compare these two cities by the following categories. I'll get the ball rolling:

Climate: Both very good by world standards, it all depends on whether you prefer a drier, Mediterranean feeling with hot, dry summers and cool-mild, wet winters, or Brisbane's sub-tropical pattern of hot, humid summers and mild-warm, dry winters. I'll take Brisbane with it's storms and summer rain, and winters where you can walk around in a T-shirt and shorts.
Close call, I prefer Bribane's winters to Perth's (to wet)
I prefer Perth's Summers to Brisbane's (to humid)

Skyline: Perth edges out in this one. Although Brisbane's is slightly larger, the Swan is a larger river which just offers a prettier aspect. Brisbane's is nothing to laugh at, though.
Agreed
Employment: Both good at the moment, Brisbane probably still better, especially for hospitality, and IT.
Draw
Shopping: Queen St Mall is a bit nicer with more greenery than Hay and Murray, but overall shopping in the CBD is similar, with both having a good variety of high-street stores, malls and department stores like Myer. Out in the suburbs, both are dominated by strip shopping and shopping centres. Perth has more nice inner precincts like Subiaco, and also boasts Fremantle. Perth might actually edge out Brisbane here
Perth's improved here but still trails Brisbane
Can't comment on Brisbane's inner precincts (didn't visit)

Food: Perth is better for Italian, but Brisbane has more variety over the board. Brissie has some nice inner city dining precincts like on the west bank and in Southbank. A draw.
Agreed

Recreational/parks: Brisbane is the clear winner. It has a more accessible botanical gardens, well manicured gardens and parklands at Southbank, and Mount Coot-tha and the Gap. Perth has Kings Park, but it's a bit far from the city. Brisbane's parklands are greener, more lush and tropical, and more integration.
Draw
Mount Coot-tha nice but far, Brisbanes's city parks are better. But kings park is really nice which kind of makes up

Nightlife: Rather similar, but I think Brisbane has more varied entertainment options. Fortitude Valley is not quite as intimidating as Northbridge at night.
Can't comment
Friendliness of people: I would say very similar. Both are friendly by urban Australian standards. Less people having random convos with you, but are generally glad to help.
Similar
Public transport: Again, pretty even, Brisbane slightly better. Roma street transit centre is a bit old but pretty good. Brissie's trains are older than Perth's, and run a bit less frequently. Bus system's are similar.
It has been 5 years since I last went to Bribane (so may have changed) Perth trains are better but I loved the ferries on the river in Brisbane, Perth needs to copy that
Crime: Perth is probably somewhat worse, especially with burglaries and petty theft. Both have areas that are a bit iffy.
Same
Natural attractions: Both cities are hard to beat, but you've got to give this one to Brisbane. With such nearby attractions as Springbrook N.P., Lamington/Gold coast hinterland, the Sunshine coast, Glasshouse Mountains, and of course Moreton and Nth Stradbroke Island, there are plenty of places to escape to. Perth's drawcards are it's beaches and it's forest-clad hills. Both are great outdoor cities, but Brisbane offers more nice days in winter.
Agreed Brisbane's got more, Perth comes back a bit with
Great beaches so close. But I still say Brisbane's better here

Old 12-06-2009, 04:07 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Again? Bizarre, isn't it? What on earth would make real estate prices so expensive here? It's insane.

I doubt it. Eastern-Staters are Satan's Spawn according to many Perthlings. Anything they have, we absolutely don't want to ever have over here. And there are just too many of them over here agitating to make things the same like over there (you know, like, progressive and stuff).
Yes it is insane

I guess with so many high paying fly in fly out Mining workers adding so much money into the system makes
prices rise. Plus all the interstate migrations to W.A creates a housing shortage

Its still crazy though

In Perth its now a case if your not earning that Big money up north, your getting left behind

Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 AM

Yes, initially I said Brisbane had better shopping, but I just didn't get the visit the Subiaco-esque precincts in it.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 AM

Yeah the whole mining boom pushed prices artificially high. As if I didn't need another reason to move out of this he...hellava nice place ;-).

Old 12-08-2009, 01:06 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Brisbane folk are more liberal compared to Perth!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Brisbane folk are more liberal compared to Perth!
You mean Liberal voters?
"Please explain" I say with my best Pauline Hanson twang.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:41 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
You know very perfectly what I mean, why ask me duh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand