U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 AM

162 posts, read 256,427 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm in the planning stages of going to Sydney for a working holiday around January of 2014. But I'm being recommended by many to just book a one-way flight there and look for jobs once I'm on the ground instead of applying to working holiday agencies online.

Just wondering what you guys in OZ think about this plan?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,188,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
Hey all,

I'm in the planning stages of going to Sydney for a working holiday around January of 2014. But I'm being recommended by many to just book a one-way flight there and look for jobs once I'm on the ground instead of applying to working holiday agencies online.

Whoever gave you that advice is sending you down the road of pain if you just plan on turning up on a tourist visa and trying to work under the table. Make sure you get your proper visa before going.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Whoever gave you that advice is sending you down the road of pain if you just plan on turning up on a tourist visa and trying to work under the table. Make sure you get your proper visa before going.
Yea I will get my 462 first of course.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:10 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,815,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think he means getting a WHV and looking for work once in Sydney, rather than trying to arrange it while still in the States.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:10 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 12,195,571 times
Quote:
Hey all,

That's the best way to do it. No employer will even speak with you when you're still in America. Just book a one-way ticket, and start looking for work on your own once you are actually there.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's the best way to do it. No employer will even speak with you when you're still in America. Just book a one-way ticket, and start looking for work on your own once you are actually there.
Thanks. Will do. I'll start with Sydney and work my way around.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 AM

9,781 posts, read 18,703,569 times
Yes I agree. What kind of work are you looking to do? If you're willing to work there'll always be something, just depends what you're prepared to do. Save up enough money to stay for awhile though.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes I agree. What kind of work are you looking to do? If you're willing to work there'll always be something, just depends what you're prepared to do. Save up enough money to stay for awhile though.
Well, unfortunately I'm not really qualified for a whole lot of work and I know that. However, I am a hard worker, the first to come last to leave type, so I know that I'd at least pull my own weight with whatever I find.

The only real work experience I have is teaching English in China and also working for a radio station while I was there.

I'm willing to work any job, really, but the main worry is the cost of living. I'll bring over between 5 and 10K USD because I have a feeling I'll probably need it. I just hope I can save some money from working too, because the cost of living sounds like its no joke over there!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 AM

9,781 posts, read 18,703,569 times
Quote:
Well, unfortunately I'm not really qualified for a whole lot of work and I know that. However, I am a hard worker, the first to come last to leave type, so I know that I'd at least pull my own weight with whatever I find.

The only real work experience I have is teaching English in China and also working for a radio station while I was there.

I'm willing to work any job, really, but the main worry is the cost of living. I'll bring over between 5 and 10K USD because I have a feeling I'll probably need it. I just hope I can save some money from working too, because the cost of living sounds like its no joke over there!
You could possibly still teach English, there are many English teaching schools here, or give private lessons. Are you American? There's a demand for teachers of American English.

The other option is just working in a bar, restaurant, cafe, kitchen-hand, that sort of thing, or reception/service.

Then if you wanna get your hands dirty there's harvesting work. Picking fruit, farm-work, that sort of thing, if you're up for it.

Here's what I would do. Go to www.gumtree.com.au and look for short-term rentals/room shares...if you don't find anything suitable, post an ad requesting accommodation, preferably shared, which you could probably get for under $100 a week. It's the site I use whenever I need something. Also good for finding work (as well as the 'Harvest Trail' website), ride-shares.etc. If you want to see a lot of the country you may want to consider buying a cheap car while you're here.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,188,888 times
Quote:

Yes you'll need the money, cost of living is no joke and the US dollar doesn't go as far as it used to.

One thing you can look at for work at is the ski resorts in Victoria and NSW from June-September like Thredbo, Perisher Blue, Mt. Buller and so on. They also have some summer jobs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand