U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-24-2013, 06:22 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,617 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi :-) I'm a norwegian who is going to be studying Sports and Excersice Science at James Cook University in Townsville in February.

Now I just got some questions, how is the student life down there in regards to nightlife and things to do?

I'm quite an active person and I'm mostly bodybuilding, how is the gyms there?

Traveling down with not too much saved money, how expensive is the place for a student?

Also if someone has studied there I would love if you could share some experience
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2013, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Australia
34 posts, read 90,223 times
Reputation: 35
Just be aware that you will need a car if you study at JCU. Its quite a distance away from downtown and shopping areas. Public transport is abysmal and a bicycle just won't do.

The heat is crippling. Coming from Norway, this will be hard for you.

The best thing for you would be to stay at a residential college - that way you would meet more people and there would be more activities for you to do. University Hall is the best choice. Rotary International Hall the worst.

The University has a gym. Not that you will get much exercise done in the oppressive heat.

Townsville is a big Army town, known for its conservatism. If you have liberal views or are gay, best to move on. Ditto if you believe in gun control. All that said, people are generally very friendly.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
 
25,058 posts, read 25,567,670 times
Reputation: 11728
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowtokyo View Post
Just be aware that you will need a car if you study at JCU. Its quite a distance away from downtown and shopping areas. Public transport is abysmal and a bicycle just won't do.

The heat is crippling. Coming from Norway, this will be hard for you.

The best thing for you would be to stay at a residential college - that way you would meet more people and there would be more activities for you to do. University Hall is the best choice. Rotary International Hall the worst.

The University has a gym. Not that you will get much exercise done in the oppressive heat.

Townsville is a big Army town, known for its conservatism. If you have liberal views or are gay, best to move on. Ditto if you believe in gun control. All that said, people are generally very friendly.

Good luck!
He'll be fine with the climate. I survived my first winter here, and my hometown has a climate very similar to the Torres Strait
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 18,380,206 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
He'll be fine with the climate. I survived my first winter here, and my hometown has a climate very similar to the Torres Strait
Varies from person to person. Townsville is hot and can be humid, but you could probably get used to it.

I agree with the above, a car is almost essentially in regional Australia. As for gyms, shouldn't have a problem finding them, they seem to be everything in all the major cities these days. Just search for 'gyms Townsville' on google maps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM
 
140 posts, read 250,338 times
Reputation: 106
In terms of nightlife, Townsville is relatively small and very far from the next major town. It's also not as much of a tourist hub as Cairns. So the nightlife will be somewhat limited - don't expect Sydney level nightlife. This might sound obvious but I once met some backpackers from London while in Denham (pop. 607) who complained incessantly about the lack of nightlife. Having said that, Townsville is a bit bigger and has both a student population and a military population so there will be some nightlife. But don't expect too much sophistication.

For gyms, they will likely be airconditioned, so don't worry about the climate. The university gym is likely to be the most convenient and cost-effective for you. Last time I was there the Esplanade was a popular place for morning runs and there were a few exercise structures along the way as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 PM
 
140 posts, read 250,338 times
Reputation: 106
duplicate post...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2013, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 18,380,206 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
In terms of nightlife, Townsville is relatively small and very far from the next major town. It's also not as much of a tourist hub as Cairns. So the nightlife will be somewhat limited - don't expect Sydney level nightlife. This might sound obvious but I once met some backpackers from London while in Denham (pop. 607) who complained incessantly about the lack of nightlife. Having said that, Townsville is a bit bigger and has both a student population and a military population so there will be some nightlife. But don't expect too much sophistication.

For gyms, they will likely be airconditioned, so don't worry about the climate. The university gym is likely to be the most convenient and cost-effective for you. Last time I was there the Esplanade was a popular place for morning runs and there were a few exercise structures along the way as well.
I don't know what these Brits were expecting, but if you just wanna get smoshed, dance to top 40, maybe a cover band or country music, Townsville ain't a bad place. Don't expect the Ministry of Sound or anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 03:29 PM
 
140 posts, read 250,338 times
Reputation: 106
They were expecting London-level nightlife and complained that they couldn't go nightclubbing every night until 4am like they did back home. True story. Clearly not the brightest sparks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top