Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:02 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

^ I don't think Sea Shepherd is racist, they're obviously passionate about the issue, as many people are, and it goes beyond simply whaling, as you can see. Of course, many might get inflamed by these claims, and become racist which is inappropriate, but they're right, the Japanese have a history of denying atrocities and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ I don't think Sea Shepherd is racist, they're obviously passionate about the issue, as many people are, and it goes beyond simply whaling, as you can see. Of course, many might get inflamed by these claims, and become racist which is inappropriate, but they're right, the Japanese have a history of denying atrocities and whatnot.
But they also claim to be equally against the killing of sharks and tuna. So when are they going to start calling Australians for "uncivilized barbarians"? Why not, if they are (as they claim) equally against the killing of sharks and tuna? Or is it just cause they would loose their supporters if they started calling Australia for "barbaric and uncivilized" in the same way that this disgusting organisation treats Japan and its people in their hate filled commentaries, poems and texts? This is all because they are biased, they love Australia and hates Japan, and also encourages others to do so. Even though they are equally against those Australian activities, they do not describe Australia and its people in the same way.

And how is Japan during WWII in any kind of way related to the modern Japan? Its not even the same country, Imperial Japan does no longer exist. Dont you realise that they say these things ONLY to emotionally enfuriate people (in particular Americans and Australians) with racial hatred against Japan and the Japanese? Why else would that mention HISTORICAL things that are completely unrelated to the whaling they claim to be against?

In Germany it is actually a crime to go around calling people nazis, or making comparisons between modern Germany and nazis. Infact even a court in Germany ruled that the organisation PETA are not allowed to compare the holocaust with the killing of animals, since thats a hate crime, and the EU approved of that court ruling as being a fully justified sentence against a vile hate crime.

Is it a conincidence or not that this vile hate group has their major support base in Australia, of all countries in the world?

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 12-06-2013 at 09:39 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 10:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post

Is it a conincidence or not that this vile hate group has their major support base in Australia, of all countries in the world?

Seriously, read their own site: Sea Shepherd Global - Home

How can you condemn a group when you adopt the same modus operandi they employ?

This is how they present Australian conservation issues: http://www.seashepherd.org.au/commen...-kangaroos-233

Last edited by Richard1098; 12-06-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
I have, on the internet, noticed many instances of Australians saying hateful things about the Japanese people and Japan. Usually it's about whaling, appearently, many Australians thinks these animals (including species that are NOT endangered) are far more worth than any other animal. Many Australians express this anger (which is 100% cultural) through racism, like using the word "J*p" (the J-word) and making references to WWII that has nothing to do with the debate, and of course, saying that "Japan deserved to be nuked". Why is this culture of racist hatred so popular in Australia? Just cause they have a fetish for a big ocean mammal? Australia kills literally MILLIONS of kangaroos every year, but kill just 1 whale and Australians will think you are a monster, even though its just yet another animal like any other.

It is common with racism towards Asians in literally all western countries for animal topics, some westerners cannot accept that some Asians may not draw a line at which animals you can eat. But this disgusting racist behaviour seems to be even more common, and more tolerated in Australia.

I am not Japanese or Asian by the way.
I think there is a lot of anger against Japan in Australia due to the whaling. Japan is not doing whaling because they are eating them. Japan is apparently doing scientific studies so they kill the whole whale. The scientific studies can be done without killing the whale. Whales are endangered and one of the most magificient animals. The are the largest mammal. I saw a program on Sixty Minutes about the blue whale and how the are trying to conserve it. I'm glad Australians are very much protective of these magnificient animals and doing what they can to protect them from extinction.

Most Australians are not racist against Japan and Japanese people visiting Australia wouldn't have any problems.

As one of the scientists said at the end of the program:

"We are the so called custodians of this planet. They are the largest animals that we have. They live in a different world to ours but they share the planet. If we cannot possibly save such large. beautiful beings what hope is there."

Nine Network - 60 Minutes Blue Whale research - YouTube

Last edited by Bernie20; 12-07-2013 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 PM

201 posts, read 416,361 times
Whales are highly intelligent and sentient animals and can not be compared to tuna or other fish. These are high functioning animals and Australians have every right to criticise Japan over whaling. To refer to this as racism is pathetic, it is simple morale outrage and has nothing to do with racism.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:01 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
Whales are highly intelligent and sentient animals and can not be compared to tuna or other fish. These are high functioning animals and Australians have every right to criticise Japan over whaling. To refer to this as racism is pathetic, it is simple morale outrage and has nothing to do with racism.
It's all they've got.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
I have not compared them to tuna or other fish, I only said that Sea Shepherd appearently views all ocean life as equally for the environment, and that they therefore should call Australia a "barbaric and uncivilized nation" and an "uncivilized people" an "uncivilized culture" if they call Japan that.

You may see it as moral outrage, but that does not make any excuse to the vile racist content in many of those commentaries, texts and poems.

Whales are not comparable to fish since they are not fish, but they are comparable to other highly intelligent mammals like pigs.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:04 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
The IWC exists for a reason.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I think there is a lot of anger against Japan in Australia due to the whaling. Japan is not doing whaling because they are eating them. Japan is apparently doing scientific studies so they kill the whole whale. The scientific studies can be done without killing the whale. Whales are endangered and one of the most magificient animals. The are the largest mammal. I saw a program on Sixty Minutes about the blue whale and how the are trying to conserve it. I'm glad Australians are very much protective of these magnificient animals and doing what they can to protect them from extinction.

Most Australians are not racist against Japan and Japanese people visiting Australia wouldn't have any problems.

As one of the scientists said at the end of the program said:

"We are the so called custodians of this planet. They are the largest animals that we have. They live in a different world to ours but they share the planet. If we cannot possibly save such large. beautiful beings what hope is there."
They only officially do it for science, it's simply a loophole, and loopholes are legal. Of course its not really science, its for the meat. Japan does NOT hunt blue whales and anyone who thinks so has to be an ignorant idiot, if you think they do, then pleace give me information about the last blue whale landed in Japan, or any other country for that matter, no people hunts blue whales anylonger.

To compare non-endangered minke whales with endangered blue whales is like comparing a puma with a tiger just because they are cats. I am all for blue whale and tiger conservation, but can't see anything wrong with sustainably hunting pumas or minke whales, who has nothing to do with the endangered species that happens to be related to them.

To attempt to prevent people from sustainably hunting a small amount of non-endangered minke whales is not to "protect them from extinction". It is a VERY common misconception that all whales would be endangered, you can't just say "whales are endangered" cause only some is, and some is not. Minke whales, the major species hunted by people who happens to be of Japanese ethnicity, is NOT an endangered whale species.

To say that "whales are endangered" makes just as much sense as saying "bovines are endangered" or "cats are endangered", or "marsupials are endangered".

Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
I have not compared them to tuna or other fish, I only said that Sea Shepherd appearently views all ocean life as equally for the environment, and that they therefore should call Australia a "barbaric and uncivilized nation" and an "uncivilized people" an "uncivilized culture" if they call Japan that.
Did you not read the link I provided? Are you totally ignorant of the subtext to their message?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand