U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 PM

993 posts, read 1,761,838 times

Advertisements

I have, on the internet, noticed many instances of Australians saying hateful things about the Japanese people and Japan. Usually it's about whaling, appearently, many Australians thinks these animals (including species that are NOT endangered) are far more worth than any other animal. Many Australians express this anger (which is 100% cultural) through racism, like using the word "J*p" (the J-word) and making references to WWII that has nothing to do with the debate, and of course, saying that "Japan deserved to be nuked". Why is this culture of racist hatred so popular in Australia? Just cause they have a fetish for a big ocean mammal? Australia kills literally MILLIONS of kangaroos every year, but kill just 1 whale and Australians will think you are a monster, even though its just yet another animal like any other.

It is common with racism towards Asians in literally all western countries for animal topics, some westerners cannot accept that some Asians may not draw a line at which animals you can eat. But this disgusting racist behaviour seems to be even more common, and more tolerated in Australia.

I am not Japanese or Asian by the way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 AM

25,058 posts, read 25,680,766 times
I never heard of this. Usually it's Indonesians they get worked up about. You know, boat people

Old 12-06-2013, 12:06 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,983,087 times
I am not an Aussie but I will just say that you shouldn't take internet comments seriously at all. I see worse comments about Blacks and especially Muslims (esp. in European websites) all the time. I am guessing you are looking at the comments section of a newspaper website which is generally a cesspool everywhere full of disgusting racist and sexist and plain out hateful remarks. The comments sections are generally unmoderated unlike City-Data.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:08 AM

25,058 posts, read 25,680,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I am not an Aussie but I will just say that you shouldn't take internet comments seriously at all. I see worse comments about Blacks all the time. I am guessing you are looking at the comments section of a newspaper website which is generally a cesspool everywhere full of disgusting racist and sexist and plain out hateful remarks. The comments sections are generally unmoderated unlike City-Data.
I mean, does OP read youtube comments? Lol. Talk about the most hate filled garbage dump of comments on the entire Internet. Magnus, NEVER take the internet seriously, especially on places where people can comment things

Old 12-06-2013, 12:15 AM

4,282 posts, read 6,289,092 times
First I have ever heard of it, the girl sitting next to me at work is Japaneses and so is my wife's best friend, they both love living in Australia.

As for whales vs Kangaroos, whales are a protected under international law and Kangaroos are not it's that simple

If there were videos of Aussies killing Koalas or Wombats on you tube the comments would be just as nasty and hurtful as anything dished up about the Japanese and Whales.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 12-06-2013 at 12:30 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 AM

1,800 posts, read 2,688,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
I have, on the internet, noticed many instances of Australians saying hateful things about the Japanese people and Japan. Usually it's about whaling, appearently, many Australians thinks these animals (including species that are NOT endangered) are far more worth than any other animal. Many Australians express this anger (which is 100% cultural) through racism, like using the word "J*p" (the J-word) and making references to WWII that has nothing to do with the debate, and of course, saying that "Japan deserved to be nuked". Why is this culture of racist hatred so popular in Australia? Just cause they have a fetish for a big ocean mammal? Australia kills literally MILLIONS of kangaroos every year, but kill just 1 whale and Australians will think you are a monster, even though its just yet another animal like any other.

It is common with racism towards Asians in literally all western countries for animal topics, some westerners cannot accept that some Asians may not draw a line at which animals you can eat. But this disgusting racist behaviour seems to be even more common, and more tolerated in Australia.

I am not Japanese or Asian by the way.
Where did you read this nonsense? Thousands of Japanese tourists visit Australia every year, if it was as bad as you believe why would they bother. And whales are a protected species.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:45 AM

9,781 posts, read 18,488,339 times
On the internet? Every time there's some story about whaling or people eating dogs some people bring out the race card, it's human to generalise like that and demonise groups of people, although it's wrong, but it's hardly a majority or anything. As for whaling, a lot of these whales are endangered, it's not simply about whaling (if they were abundant and hunted sustainably that'd be another matter, even if I don't like the idea of whaling). Killing kangaroos in Australia is a complicated issue, I won't go into it.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
First I have ever heard of it, the girl sitting next to me at work is Japaneses and so is my wife's best friend, they both love living in Australia.

As for whales vs Kangaroos, whales are a protected under international law and Kangaroos are not it's that simple

If there were videos of Aussies killing Koalas or Wombats on you tube the comments would be just as nasty and hurtful as anything dished up about the Japanese and Whales.
To begin with, not all whales are protected under international law, so no it's not "that simple".

I guess you are referring to the International Whaling Commission which is a political organisation that regulates whaling worldwide of a certain amount of big whale species. Under the rules of this organisation, it is legal to hunt whales if a certain country objects to their recommendations, OR if they say that it's for science, even if it's not. However, the IWC does not make laws, they are not the UN and they are not a law-enforcing or law-making organisation. A nation can also choose to completely leave the IWC.

Also, there is very many whale species that are NOT regulated or recognized by the IWC, these includes bottlenose whales, orcas, pilot whales and all dolphin species, so those are not protected by any international law or organisation whatsoever, it is FULLY LEGAL to hunt them if your national government allows it, just like hunting deer. But the same Australians I am talking about here are of course just as much against the killing of these animals as other cetacean animals, regardless whether they are endangered or not.

Examples of cetacean animals that are NOT endangered and NOT threatened is minke whales, bottlenose dolphins, pilot whales, striped dolphins and risso's dolphins. Hunting them is like hunting deer, or kangaroo. Of course it looks more bloody since its in water, but there is not any real difference. The methods used are the best you can use to hunt sea animals with. Yet very many people, especially in Australia, uses this to defend their racial and cultural hatred.

As for koalas and wombats, I dont see them on any endangered list either, so how would that be any different from kangaroos?

Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 AM

124 posts, read 170,875 times
Another bullpoop racism thread.

If we are such a horrible bunch of racists, why are all these Asians, Arabs etc moving here in droves AND STAYING?

I personally couldn't care less about the Japs whaling. In fact, I haven't met anyone who talks about it at all.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
On the internet? Every time there's some story about whaling or people eating dogs some people bring out the race card, it's human to generalise like that and demonise groups of people, although it's wrong, but it's hardly a majority or anything. As for whaling, a lot of these whales are endangered, it's not simply about whaling (if they were abundant and hunted sustainably that'd be another matter, even if I don't like the idea of whaling). Killing kangaroos in Australia is a complicated issue, I won't go into it.
But the fact is that they do hunt sustainably. The species they hunt is minke whales, which there is hundreds of thousends of, so taking max 1,000 is very clearly sustainable and not overexploiting (which would be to take like 30,000 or so).

But the arguments against it in the west, in particular in Australia, is not really about sustainability. It is about cultural emotions towards these animals just because they belong to a certain species. People who are that hateful and racist are likely to be just as hateful even if it is sustainable hunting. To use racial slurs and WWII references is common by this type of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand