U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,153 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am a 19 year old American girl who will be an au pair in Brisbane this coming May-Aug while on break from my university. I've never been out of America before and I'm quite excited, but also very nervous. I'm only working 20 hours a week with the family and will have LOADS of free time to explore Brisbane, travel, work if I'd like, or pick up a course or two at the local university. I'm just curious what I should expect.

Here are some general questions I have...

What is the weather like from May-August? I realize that is winter in Australia (it's summer then in the states), but Brisbane is also on the coast so I'm unsure. Is the weather still warm enough to throw on a bikini and go to the beach? Shorts? Dresses? Sandals?

What are some popular places or areas to meet people my age? What would you recommend as for making friends while I am there?

Where would you recommend I travel? Keep in mind, I can't go too far from Brisbane. I want to see the Great Barrier Reef, how far would you imagine that is from Brisbane driving?

What should I make sure to see or do in Brisbane?

If you have any other good information for me that'd be great. It's safe to say I'm pretty clueless at the moment, but I just got offered the job a few days ago!

Thank you so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,746,508 times
In my view Brisbane doesn't have a Winter its a city that's average high is always above 20C each month, you do get the odd cold day or patch, it all depends what you are used too!!, certainly shorts and Tshirt is viable most of the year.

look down th page to see month average temps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane

Gold Coast is a obvious weekend destination for teens and 20's, lots of nightlife, theme parks and other attractions are worth a visit.

Jump on Google Maps and have a good look around is the best advice for comprehending distances from A to B.

As for meeting people, bit like anywhere if you are a extrovert you will have zero probs, but id probably be using social media to pre-make a few friends myself.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,153 times
Do you think it's weird to find people in Brisbane via social media and reaching out to them?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:28 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,746,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americantravels2 View Post
Do you think it's weird to find people in Brisbane via social media and reaching out to them?

not at all, approach it with a bit of tact, people these days arrange places to stay and house swaps online, but you know be careful.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:04 PM

4,429 posts, read 6,385,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americantravels2 View Post
Hello!
I am a 19 year old American girl who will be an au pair in Brisbane this coming May-Aug while on break from my university. I've never been out of America before and I'm quite excited, but also very nervous. I'm only working 20 hours a week with the family and will have LOADS of free time to explore Brisbane, travel, work if I'd like, or pick up a course or two at the local university. I'm just curious what I should expect.

Here are some general questions I have...

What is the weather like from May-August? I realize that is winter in Australia (it's summer then in the states), but Brisbane is also on the coast so I'm unsure. Is the weather still warm enough to throw on a bikini and go to the beach? Shorts? Dresses? Sandals?

What are some popular places or areas to meet people my age? What would you recommend as for making friends while I am there?

Where would you recommend I travel? Keep in mind, I can't go too far from Brisbane. I want to see the Great Barrier Reef, how far would you imagine that is from Brisbane driving?

What should I make sure to see or do in Brisbane?

If you have any other good information for me that'd be great. It's safe to say I'm pretty clueless at the moment, but I just got offered the job a few days ago!

Thank you so much!
Unless your coming from southern Florida, you will find the winters in Brisbane lovely, it will be pretty much constantly be between 12 and 25 Celsius any time of the day in the city area or out on the coast, though will get a bit cooler if you out in the western suburbs or up in the hills.

You cannot do a day trip from Brisbane to the reef by car, the reef it self starts about 300 miles north Brisbane, and at that point it is a long way off shore. They do day tours from Brisbane to the reef using light aircraft I am sure it would be quite expensive however. If you really want to see the reef , I would recommend you fly to cairns if/when you have 3 or 4 days off, Cairns is a lovely area, with a lot of additional attractions as well as the reef.

As for other things, other than the gold and sunshine coasts, their are more than 20 national parks within 2 hours drive of the city centre, if hiking, Mountain biking, horse riding, picnics swimming in waterfalls etc is your thing you have lots of options.

Friends could be difficult, it really depends what you are into, Brisbane like every other Aussie city is home to thousands of short term working holiday makers and backpackers, their are bars etc in the city packed by these sort of people (Some bars acutally refuse entry to Australians). From my own experience in Europe these places are not bad places to meet people, and future travel companions

If that is not your scene you could try joining a club, doing something at the local university etc etc. Other than that don't get scared about booking a day tour by yourself, you will be surprised how often you will meet other like minded people doing exactly the same thing.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-17-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand