Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
It seems like a good idea to me to compare the political parties of both countries.

The conservative party of Canada looks like the liberal party of Australia

The new democratic party of Canada looks like the labor party of Australia

The greens of Canada looks like the greens of Australia

\
I did not know this - interesting thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know... But, considering the Liberal party of Canada as a centre oarty, I think Toronto is less to the left than Sydney. But it looks more moderate.
The liberal party is more centre when it comes to economic policy - in terms of Social policy it Is actually more to the left. Actually it was under a liberal party majority government that Gay marriage became legally adopted. Ditto for allowing Gays serving in the military back in the early 90's..

Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Same with here, most people are clustered near the coast. And yes, largely due to your greater population you have more cities in that range.
Fair enough - it may simply be just be a matter of having a greater population.. I guess large swaths of Australia are as undesirable to live in as large swaths of Canada. I was just speculating but I do think that the lack of a centre party is a reasonable explanation. In the Canada section there is discussion about Canada not have a 'national' identify...my feeling is and again just speculation is that Australia seemingly does have a stronger 'national' identity and as such may be part of that inclination to be more conservative and less inclined to move more to the left when it comes to some social policies.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
So knowing all of these things, can we say that both are equal politically ?
Canada seems more liberal and progressive than Australia, and Toronto a bit more than Sydney. Sydney has a lot of suburbs that aren't really that liberal, if anything Melbourne might be more liberal, the first seat the Greens Party ever won was Melbourne.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Canada seems more liberal and progressive than Australia, and Toronto a bit more than Sydney. Sydney has a lot of suburbs that aren't really that liberal, if anything Melbourne might be more liberal, the first seat the Greens Party ever won was Melbourne.
Toronto actually isn't too unlike Sydney in that there are clusters of conservatism in the suburbs - especially in areas with large Indian populations who have taken a strong shift towards voting conservative. Their values are seemingly more aligned with the Conservative ideology - yet even our conservative government isn't really all that socially conservative compared to other countries.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto actually isn't too unlike Sydney in that there are clusters of conservatism in the suburbs - especially in areas with large Indian populations who have taken a strong shift towards voting conservative. Their values are seemingly more aligned with the Conservative ideology - yet even our conservative government isn't really all that socially conservative compared to other countries.
There are a lot of Muslims in Sydney (although actually half of Lebanese are Christians), i'm not sure how they vote but they tend to be quite conservative.

I feel racial/ethnic tensions are also sharper in Sydney than Melbourne and I would assume Toronto. Though not an everyday occurrence I can't imagine this happening in Melbourne, let alone Toronto today:

ABC Four Corners - Riot and Revenge - YouTube

Old 01-29-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:

I feel racial/ethnic tensions are also sharper in Sydney than Melbourne and I would assume Toronto. Though not an everyday occurrence I can't imagine this happening in Melbourne, let alone Toronto today:

ABC Four Corners - Riot and Revenge - YouTube
Wow - obviously I didn't watch it all as it is a full documentary (though I will watch) - I can tell you 100 percent this type of racial tension and violence would not and does not happen with any group in Toronto.. There may be small pockets of small groups or one on one fights - especially when drinking is involved but nothing as widespread and organized. Toronto is not a perfect utopia by any means but it is looks to be more racially harmonious. Would these outbursts happen against gays as well? I'm gay and remember 15 years ago as a teenager walking in the gay village with my BF and fairly frequently would have morons drive by and hurl homophobic remarks at us... one bunch of idiots threw eggs at me and my BF.. 15 years later and I don't see that happen at all...

Last edited by fusion2; 01-29-2014 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Wow - obviously I didn't watch it all as it is a full documentary (though I will watch) - I can tell you 100 percent this type of racial tension and violence would not and does not happen with any group in Toronto.. There may be small pockets of small groups or one on one fights - especially when drinking is involved but nothing as widespread and organized. Toronto is not a perfect utopia by any means but it is looks to be more racially harmonious. Would these outbursts happen against gays as well? I'm gay and remember 15 years ago as a teenager walking in the gay village with my BF and fairly frequently would have morons drive by and hurl homophobic remarks at us... one bunch of idiots threw eggs at me and my BF.. 15 years later and I don't see that happen at all...
I've always seen as Canada as a mecca for political correctness and tolerance, I remember a lot of episodes of the original Degrassi Junior High/High had messages relating to that. I remember episodes about racism, bullying, homophobia, abortion, teen pregnancy.etc, which preaches messages of tolerance and understanding, without necessarily being too preachy or political themselves.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Quote:
I've always seen as Canada as a mecca for political correctness and tolerance, I remember a lot of episodes of the original Degrassi Junior High/High had messages relating to that. I remember episodes about racism, bullying, homophobia, abortion, teen pregnancy.etc, which preaches messages of tolerance and understanding, without necessarily being too preachy or political themselves.
Basing Canada on Degrassi would be like basing Australia on Home and Away.

Like all countries there is a spectrum of conservatism and liberalism and a social conservative may sometimes be an economic liberal.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:19 AM

167 posts, read 409,381 times
You said Toronto was a little more progressive than Sydney because Sydney have a lot of conservative suburbs. But the suburbs of Toronto are conservative too from what I know. So can you tell me which one you think is more to the left ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand