Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Canada and Australia/NZ should have open borders with each other?
Yes 8 40.00%
No 8 40.00%
Maybe 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:15 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think the migration programs as they stand now are too restrictive. What if you are a 35 year old factory worker or cashier in either country, and you want to move to either Australia or Canada respectively. You are a hard worker with no criminal record and you have no family in the other country. There is currently no visa that would allow you to migrate. That is too restrictive to me.

I've seen both of your posts in this forum and in the Canada forum. I get that you hate cold and snow. What I don't get is that you get off your butt and move to Australia through the regular immigration channels instead of hoping for some weird open border that is never going to happen. Based on your posts in the weather forum it seems as if you are pining to live in a warm Australian climate as you go on and on about how "lucky" Australia is in terms of climate.

It really shows just how pathetic Canada is when it comes to climate diversity. A warm lover has no where to go in Canada. Despite all my issues with the US subtropical climates (due to the existence of the landmass called Canada) it is still so much easier for me to move to a warmer climate than you unlucky Canadians. I'd take a place like Beaufort SC any day over Toronto or Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 02:23 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Funnily enough, as an Aussie I found the British influence in Canada pretty obvious, and in terms of public institutions a lot more ingrained and deeper than is the case in Aus. And like the OP, Canadians whether here or in Canada, seem to stress the whole Commonwealth/British heritage "thing" way more than Aussies do. Perhaps it's a means to differentiate themselves from their southern neighbour?

Canada was founded by "United Empire Loyalists" that fled the British North American Colonies in the present day USA when we won our independence. I recently visited the Philadelphia History Museum and it was interesting to read about all these Philadelphia loyalists that picked up sticks and moved to England and Canada instead of trying to abide the new USA. Personally I find that Canadians use the whole "British" thing to distinguish themselves from us. Problem is I think it diminished their sense of nationhood. What does it mean to be Canadian? I guess it means to be an ex-British Colonial American that likes to continue to bow down to Queen Elizabeth II.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:37 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think the migration programs as they stand now are too restrictive. What if you are a 35 year old factory worker or cashier in either country, and you want to move to either Australia or Canada respectively. You are a hard worker with no criminal record and you have no family in the other country. There is currently no visa that would allow you to migrate. That is too restrictive to me.
Yes I believe that migration patterns are too restrictive between Canada and Australia. I would like to see more lax immigration rules for a Australian and New Zealander to move to New Zealand.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Canada was founded by "United Empire Loyalists" that fled the British North American Colonies in the present day USA when we won our independence. I recently visited the Philadelphia History Museum and it was interesting to read about all these Philadelphia loyalists that picked up sticks and moved to England and Canada instead of trying to abide the new USA. Personally I find that Canadians use the whole "British" thing to distinguish themselves from us. Problem is I think it diminished their sense of nationhood. What does it mean to be Canadian? I guess it means to be an ex-British Colonial American that likes to continue to bow down to Queen Elizabeth II.
Its interesting that while Australia asks all new citizens to swear that:

"From this time forward, under God, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey."

Canada asks their new citizens to state that:

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen."

Couldn't be more different.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:56 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've seen both of your posts in this forum and in the Canada forum. I get that you hate cold and snow. What I don't get is that you get off your butt and move to Australia through the regular immigration channels instead of hoping for some weird open border that is never going to happen. Based on your posts in the weather forum it seems as if you are pining to live in a warm Australian climate as you go on and on about how "lucky" Australia is in terms of climate.

It really shows just how pathetic Canada is when it comes to climate diversity. A warm lover has no where to go in Canada. Despite all my issues with the US subtropical climates (due to the existence of the landmass called Canada) it is still so much easier for me to move to a warmer climate than you unlucky Canadians. I'd take a place like Beaufort SC any day over Toronto or Vancouver.

You are right. You as an American are much luckier than I am and can move to either Florida or Hawaii if you wished. Unfortunately for me, there is currently no visa class that I would qualify under for Australia or NZ and so quite frankly, I'm out of luck. That is why I'm very frustrated because I can't immigrate under normal channels and I really want to move somewhere with warm to hot weather year round.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:27 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Yes I believe that migration patterns are too restrictive between Canada and Australia. I would like to see more lax immigration rules for a Australian and New Zealander to move to New Zealand.

At this point I would think Canadians are better off where they are in a more tolerant country over Australia

Kiwis are a great example of how far Australia has to go, once welcomed in a bilateral agreement as family and in reverse despite the odd sheep joke. Due to a several year Aus media blitz around 2000 that all changed and all of a sudden became doll bludgers despite a significantly higher employment participation rate than Aus born at the time and since.

Would not like to see that message ever be sent to Canadians I would not wish that upon them, could happen to anyone with such a free access agreement.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:13 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
At this point I would think Canadians are better off where they are in a more tolerant country over Australia

Kiwis are a great example of how far Australia has to go, once welcomed in a bilateral agreement as family and in reverse despite the odd sheep joke. Due to a several year Aus media blitz around 2000 that all changed and all of a sudden became doll bludgers despite a significantly higher employment participation rate than Aus born at the time and since.

Would not like to see that message ever be sent to Canadians I would not wish that upon them, could happen to anyone with such a free access agreement.
There are approximately 650,000 Kiwis in Australia.
We are quite tolerant.
Just cut to the chase and become a state.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
There are approximately 650,000 Kiwis in Australia.
We are quite tolerant.
Just cut to the chase and become a state.
You mean Aus become a province of NZ :P

We have strategically placed 650,000 agents around your country, deep sleepers waiting for the activation phrase.

Hmm now how would we get past Tony Abbott's security

Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
You mean Aus become a province of NZ :P

We have strategically placed 650,000 agents around your country, deep sleepers waiting for the activation phrase.

Hmm now how would we get past Tony Abbott's security
haha - I have seen the productivity of these 'agents'.
We're safe for a while

Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
haha - I have seen the productivity of these 'agents'.
We're safe for a while
Just remember I came over here to increase the IQ of both nations

hmm that might be a self putdown also, ahhh but its worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand