Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay Australians have the rights to marry?
Yes 60 64.52%
No 29 31.18%
I don't care either way/I don't know/other 4 4.30%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
In Australia same sex couples already get all these things and in some cases have being able to for years.

Discrimination against same-sex de facto couples and their families in areas such as taxation, superannuation (Pensions for you Americans), social security. family assistance, the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme Safety Net and the Medicare Safety Net, aged care, veterans' entitlements, immigration, citizenship, child support and family law etc etc were removed in 2008.

In Western Australia gay couples have been able to adopt since 2002. IVF has being available to Lesbian couples in all states except for South Australia for well over a decade in most cases. Gay surrogacy is legal in all states except Western Australia if you do not pay for it (it is illegal for strait couples to pay for Surrogacy in Australia as well). People easily get around the laws by using overseas surrogates mostly based in Thailand and India.

I just don't understand why they cannot take the one final step and legalise gay marriage.
Interesting and thank you for the detailed information. Then things are much different for gay couples there than in the U.S., prior to gay marriage being legal. Here, same sex couples were treated as "strangers" by law with no legal connection. Prior to being married, we had to spend around $3000 in legal fees to legally create some of the protections marriage now offers.

So is there some other name given to the bond for same sex couples, rather than marriage? Some states in the U.S. began with "civil Unions" or "domestic partnerships" which gave most of the rights of marriage at the state level, only with a different name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I live in the U.S. I am gay, married and have two children. I've been with my patner for 18 years in a monogamous relationship and we had our children through egg donor/surrogacy.

We were married just last year, and it provides a lot of security for our family. For instance, prior to our marriage, if my partner died, I would probably have lost our house because even though we had a will that gave me the house, the government (both state and federal) would have taxed me heavily on the value of the house, as if it were a gift from some random person. If my partner died prior to being married, I would have been taxed heavily by the state and federal government on his life insurance money I would have received. We also don't have to worry about some blood relative coming in and claiming our estate upon our deaths, which has happened to gay couples. My partner is eligible for a pension through his company. Prior to being married, once he died, his pension would end. Now, if he dies before me, I still get the pension. My partner earns more money than me, so his Social Security benefits will be higher than mine. If he dies before me, then I will get the higher benefit amount. It's mostly about financial security and how we're treated by the tax laws. We had already proven our commitment to each other by being together for many years.

As for gay couples having children, it's becoming more common in the U.S. I know gay couples who have older children, and they turn out like any other children. We have other gay and lesbian couples in our neighborhood who have children, so there is no "stigma" attached to our children. They understand that there are different types of families and have no issues with it. Our children have many advantages that a lot of children don't have, and do extremely well in school. I have no doubt they will grow up to be healthy, happy, well-adjusted and successful adults.

It does surprise me that same sex marriage isn't legal in Australia yet. I would have predicted it would have been legalized there before the U.S. But it's nothing to worry about. Gay couples getting married and having children are no threat.
Belated congratz!

Old 05-30-2014, 04:30 PM

130 posts, read 133,670 times
And as the old joke goes why should gays be single and happy. Nope they should be married and being given a hard time about some birthday they forgot

Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Would this issue be more interesting if it were debated in "Ockerese"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand