Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:54 PM

440 posts, read 866,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
In principle I agree buyer beware!, but I have seen the term honey trap used a few times and its probably the best description.

You are talking to a person that knew the SCV restrictions intimately and fully believed I would never want or need to apply for the 189 or 186, but that changed!. It seems like you have had a taste of what I am talking about and I can certainly sympathies for those not on the SOL.

At the end of the day 444 is horrific policy that will definitely change, do you REALLY want more winging Kiwis over here?, because if that's the goal its working perfectly!

I really don't care either way-each to their own I think you can pretty much live wherever you want …. I just wish people would understand to the full extent into what they are getting into…instead of complaining about it after the event…I see it plenty here (USA)where peeps complain "I didn't know I had to pay for this…and I wasn't eligible for that" a little research would help peeps become a little more pro active in their own future… FWIW…KIWIS don't have the market cornered on whinging ! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
In principle I agree buyer beware!, but I have seen the term honey trap used a few times and its probably the best description.

You are talking to a person that knew the SCV restrictions intimately and fully believed I would never want or need to apply for the 189 or 186, but that changed!. It seems like you have had a taste of what I am talking about and I can certainly sympathies for those not on the SOL.

At the end of the day 444 is horrific policy that will definitely change, do you REALLY want more winging Kiwis over here?, because if that's the goal its working perfectly!
So Australia owes you permeant residency simply because while you were fully aware of the restrictions on a SCV you then simply changed your mind? Try that line with the EU, US or anywhere else.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
So Australia owes you permeant residency simply because while you were fully aware of the restrictions on a SCV you then simply changed your mind? Try that line with the EU, US or anywhere else.

I said nothing of the sort and you know it, You are clearly seeking a argument. I said its rubbish policy and we all know it is, of course you wont admit it.

So you want to cancel the SCV? yep that's one option for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sossie View Post
[/b]

I really don't care either way-each to their own I think you can pretty much live wherever you want …. I just wish people would understand to the full extent into what they are getting into…instead of complaining about it after the event…I see it plenty here (USA)where peeps complain "I didn't know I had to pay for this…and I wasn't eligible for that" a little research would help peeps become a little more pro active in their own future… FWIW…KIWIS don't have the market cornered on whinging ! LOL!
Australia cannot have "permanent residents" with no pathway to Citizenship or democratic representation it creates classes and Australia effectively ceases to be a modern democracy.

The problem does not exist on the New Zealand side, all permanent resident Australians have a pathway to citizenship.

That's it, you decide how you want it fixed.

Last edited by Battleneter; 03-03-2014 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: dual responce

Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 PM

111 posts, read 125,082 times
When there are 10 times as many kiwis residing in Australia than there are Aussies living in NZ its easy to say that. Honestly the sooner the visa waiver program stops the better. We are just importing a lot of low skilled people that are taking up youth positions if they do get employment. I would rather see Aussie youth be able to get a good start to their careers nowadays as youth unemployment is getting out of control here. Kiwis aren't coming here as a favour to Australia, they are coming to earn money and this takes jobs away from Aussies. At the end of the day if you don't like not being able to vote here then that's fine, the airports that way, don't hit your bum on the way out.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard342 View Post
When there are 10 times as many kiwis residing in Australia than there are Aussies living in NZ its easy to say that. Honestly the sooner the visa waiver program stops the better. We are just importing a lot of low skilled people that are taking up youth positions if they do get employment. I would rather see Aussie youth be able to get a good start to their careers nowadays as youth unemployment is getting out of control here. Kiwis aren't coming here as a favour to Australia, they are coming to earn money and this takes jobs away from Aussies. At the end of the day if you don't like not being able to vote here then that's fine, the airports that way, don't hit your bum on the way out.

Well I am skilled and you are extremely lucky to have me, as arrogant as the "you are lucky to be here statements", of course Kiwis are not coming here as a favour to Australians what a odd statement!

What really is is a Aussie? or a Kiwi?, around 24% of the current Aus population was not born here, while nearly 50% have a parent not born here, is a Citizen a Aussie?. If Anything the only true Aussies are Aborigines and they were not given full rights to the 1970's. So here we are again Australia going backwards with this issue while blind racism overlooks the obvious bigger issue.

At the end of the day Australia cannot have "permanent residents" with no pathway to democratic representation it creates classes .

BTW NZ is 5X smaller the percentage of Aussies making up the NZ pop is not far off the percentage of Kiwis making up the Aus population (never thought of it like that had you!)

Old 03-08-2014, 02:00 AM

130 posts, read 133,627 times
Quote:
All kiwis unskilled and all Australians hold STEM degrees ? Funny thing is I have three brothers living in Australia, two of whom hold Engineering degrees and the other two are skilled tradesmen. One does notice too many Australians tend to do art degrees in so called old Icelandic macrame and then wonder why they cannot find jobs.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:06 AM

111 posts, read 125,082 times
So you should have no trouble finding a job back in NZ where you can vote and everything. Why are you still here? 6% unemployment here and 650K kiwis living here. I have a good job, a degree, and a trade but what I would like to see are Aussie kids getting a chance to learn trades and advance themselves in their own country. Retraining of people being made redundant like the Holden workers etc, into other skilled area's to replace imported workers. And as the topic was about voting rights for Kiwi's here I honestly think most Aussie citizens don't believe kiwi's voting rights are an issue of any importance here. Trying to link it to aboriginal policy BTW even tacitly was just sad really and mildly offensive. Deal with your Maori issues before worrying about Aussie issues in the future or become an Aussie and then you can have a say.

And what is an Aussie really? Well they are someone that was either born here or OBTAINED citizenship legally by meeting the Australian immigration requirements unlike ALL the Kiwis that are here on limited visa's. Simple really, hope that clears it up for you.

I tend to agree with Hockey about the entitlement generation becoming extinct here, with an aging population there will be no money to support anyone in the future here that isn't an Aussie citizen. If you are Kiwi and can meet the requirements then welcome, if not, well, keep a low profile and make your money while this agreement still exists

Old 03-13-2014, 05:50 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaraka66 View Post
Strange that dear girl, an American who believes in taxation without representation. Have you studied ANY American history ?
NZRUGBY is back?
I thought you were from Gisborne, NZ

Old 03-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:

And what is an Aussie really? Well they are someone that was either born here or OBTAINED citizenship legally
You are incorrect there are people born here that are not Australian citizens after 9 years, but nice try understanding the issues!

Quote:

I tend to agree with Hockey about the entitlement generation becoming extinct here, with an aging population there will be no money to support anyone in the future here that isn't an Aussie citizen. If you are Kiwi and can meet the requirements then welcome, if not, well, keep a low profile and make your money while this agreement still exists
As Kiwis support unemployed Australians, it will be nice to see less Australians on benefits agreed!

Is that what you mean?

Quote:
Why are you still here? 6% unemployment here
Well that's the worthless headline rate, there is a massive 800,000+ on disability (btw not Kiwis) here around double what it should be for the population size, add 2%.

Just a reminder Kiwis have a 10% higher "employment participation" rate in Aus than Aus born, and that existed prior to 2001 WHEN social security was available, so not sure why you are going on about welfare?.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 AM

48 posts, read 60,780 times
Wow at some people on here.. most of the nzer's I know and I know a few living in the western suburbs. do not have any qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand