Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,827,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Oh them Can't say I place much credence in what the media says. I tend to shy away from hysteria.
You might want to shy away from this thread then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,439,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
You didn't. For anyone with a working knowledge of the English language it read that you were describing your own experience with your wife who was an "uneducated outsider". If I remember correctly, she's now a nurse?

Not the media again!
Yep mate, she is a nurse, recently promoted to the next level above RN

In hindsight uneducated outsider was a bad choice or words, a lot of the international students studying in Australia are well educated in their home countries.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,223,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
You might want to shy away from this thread then!
It's ok, I make good use of the site's ignore function, deals with 99% of all known forms of forum hysteria

Old 02-14-2015, 12:26 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,938,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Yep mate, she is a nurse, recently promoted to the next level above RN

In hindsight uneducated outsider was a bad choice or words, a lot of the international students studying in Australia are well educated in their home countries.

No drama, Kiwis are not that brittle :P. Its interesting, my wife is only a part time EN which works for us as I bring home the lions share of what we want/need and I appreciate what I don't have to do at home.

Rn's are in oversupply in QLD and elsewhere, most new starts are finding it very hard to find work which believe it or not I feel for!. Truck drivers have been in higher demand around Aus in recent years yet RN's are on the SOL and not truck drivers, what's your thoughts on what's "really" going on?.

Trained but nowhere to go

Old 02-14-2015, 01:52 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,439,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
No drama, Kiwis are not that brittle :P. Its interesting, my wife is only a part time EN which works for us as I bring home the lions share of what we want/need and I appreciate what I don't have to do at home.

Rn's are in oversupply in QLD and elsewhere, most new starts are finding it very hard to find work which believe it or not I feel for!. Truck drivers have been in higher demand around Aus in recent years yet RN's are on the SOL and not truck drivers, what's your thoughts on what's "really" going on?.

Trained but nowhere to go
Ha ha, well we are a bit different in some regards, my is wife gets the higher wage in our house. As you may be aware I have been at home looking after our now 16 month old daughter for over a year now, and I loved it. Though yours are school aged if I remember, which I am sure is an entirely different scenario.

I knew graduate nurses are having a tough time getting work in QLD, that has been going on for some years now, I believe it's even harder for teachers.

On the work point I return to work in 9 days time (monday week). In two weeks of trying I had to pick the best of 4 job offers in the city, still loads of demand for people out there with experience, who prepared to rough it out in public practice accounting, which is lucky for me, though I certainly would not want to be trying to fill an unskilled or graduate job at the moment.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-14-2015 at 03:15 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 04:41 AM

121 posts, read 88,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I knew graduate nurses are having a tough time getting work in QLD, that has been going on for some years now, I believe it's even harder for teachers.
In WA we have the same issue in part driven by employers hiring NZ, UK, SA people ahead of training locally. I think we should stop all new foreign workers when unemployment rate is above 5% and/or youth unemployment greater than 8%. I just cant understand why we throw our kids on the unemployment scrap heap whilst letting foreigners in to work.

Back to the OP: As for the voting, that is bullsh*t. Citizens vote, resident foreign workers should not. No one forces you to accept that deal (which is fundamentally different to the historic US precedent) so if you dont like it, find another country which better fits your views.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:22 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,568,763 times
Should New Zealanders have the vote in Aus? That's like saying, "should the French have the vote in Britain?" - OF CAUSE NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand