Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times

Advertisements

There's an app now to tell you the closest shop with hot doughnuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
10 secs in the microwave and you can get that same "hot" KK effect.

One thing that is missing these days is the freshly "deep fried" cinnamon doughnut.
Really? You're just going to the wrong places. They're still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
There's an app now to tell you the closest shop with hot doughnuts.

Really? You're just going to the wrong places. They're still around.
Ive never thought microwaving for 10sec produced the same outcome as fresh

Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Coffee is probably the most overrated drink or food in the world. The way people cr@p on about "needing their morning coffee" and only buying from certain coffee shops makes wine snobs look sensible.

Hmmm...I imagine Starbucks with their global supply chain would be able to source beans for far cheaper than almost any other distributor in Australia. Indonesia, Vietnam and China are all amongst the world's largest producers of coffee beans, so I can't see how distance to ship would be a significant factor. As far as taxes, Australia's corporate tax rate is lower than America's (America's is one of the highest in the world) and even so, I'm pretty confident that Starbucks was offshoring profits through transfer pricing to reduce their tax bill here (have a look at what they've done in the UK recently). In reality, it costs money to do business anywhere. Given the product was perishable, served "fast" and solely domestically, it wouldn't have had too much of an issue with high wages. Starbucks failed for whatever reason, the fact that Australia wasn't in recession (infact per the ABS it was enjoying a dining boom at the time) leads me to believe it was consumer taste preferences rather than the difficulty of doing business in Australia.
My boss was a bit of a coffee addict...like many he drank it to 'function.' By 'function' I mean overwork and push yourself too hard. Yep, to work to your best you need stimulants...

Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I don't drink coffee, but some of my friends are what I call "coffee snobs". My understanding is that American-style coffee generally has less actual coffee (ie more water) than Australia. So Starbucks contains more coffee than standard American, thereby seeming better to Americans, but less than standard Australian, thereby failing in this market. I suggested this to some American friends who subsequently doubled the amount of coffee they used in their machine with instant improvement. YMMV.

I find it more curious that coffee seems to be the only thing people drink in the US. The hotels/motels hardly ever have kettles (just coffee makers and I don't like coffee residue in my tea) and even a lot of private homes don't. The abovementioned friends boiled water for my tea using a pyrex jug in the microwave. At the shops there would be a few kettles amongst about 20 coffee machines. The tea selection in the shops is abysmal but fortunately I am getting a fresh supply when relatives visit in a few months. And at a brunch I went to recently the restaurant served coffee but not hot chocolate, and served tea (English Breakfast) without milk. Luckily someone else had cream left over from their coffee so I was able to use some of that.
It's well known Americans aren't big tea drinkers, although it may be catching on. I think the most popular tea there is sweet/iced tea.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's well known Americans aren't big tea drinkers, although it may be catching on. I think the most popular tea there is sweet/iced tea.
Iced tea is more common in the Sputh. Else coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand