Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 04:19 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

I don't think there's any difference between brits and and aussies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 03:37 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Watch any American TV programmes involving the poorer areas of the country and you will see plenty of people with either no teeth or very few left, especially among the elderly, i dare say it is because they cannot afford dentures.

There is certainly more attention paid to dental hygiene in the US than the UK. Dentists in the UK only just started recommending flossing a few years ago! I can't tell you how many people I knew there said "I hate flossing because my gums bleed. That can't be good for you"!

As for Australia, I wouldn't know. I would imagine that there wouldn't be a lot of difference in access to dental care between the UK and Australia. Neither have particularly easy access to dentistry (expensive)

Old 03-29-2014, 04:48 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Americans with bad teeth, apparently.
I can tell apart pretty easily a group of people from US/Canada compared a group from the UK. Just by looking at the faces you can tell, then of course there is the different clothing/hairstyles.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
There is certainly more attention paid to dental hygiene in the US than the UK. Dentists in the UK only just started recommending flossing a few years ago! I can't tell you how many people I knew there said "I hate flossing because my gums bleed. That can't be good for you"!

As for Australia, I wouldn't know. I would imagine that there wouldn't be a lot of difference in access to dental care between the UK and Australia. Neither have particularly easy access to dentistry (expensive)

I went to the dentist here in Brisbane on Wednesday, hence noticed this thread. It cost me $65 of for a filling with a Xray, however private health covered 60%. If I had to pay the full bill I doubt I would have been starving this week lol

Your British beat-up is a oldy but a goodie, dates back many decades. The truth is the US now rates worse in both poverty and wealth distribution than the UK, I strongly would suspect the tables have turned with dental care.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Jesus, not another thread about teeth.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
I went to the dentist here in Brisbane on Wednesday, hence noticed this thread. It cost me $65 of for a filling with a Xray, however private health covered 60%. If I had to pay the full bill I doubt I would have been starving this week lol

Your British beat-up is a oldy but a goodie, dates back many decades. The truth is the US now rates worse in both poverty and wealth distribution than the UK, I strongly would suspect the tables have turned with dental care.
The ease of access thing is often overstated as well. You might have trouble out in the bush, but when my father lost a filling in Brisbane a few months ago. He went into a local dental practice that He had never been to into life and had the problem fixed the same afternoon.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:23 PM

121 posts, read 110,716 times
I'm a seppo and I've got teeth like a grey nurse shark.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:47 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Dentistry is a very profitable business in Australia, they make a fortune most small towns will have more than one. Melbourne has a dental hospital for those who cannot afford to pay.
I don't really know what happens in the UK these days but as a kid in England back in the days of Yor there was a big push by Goverments for kids to practice oral hygiene, we were given Gibbs toothpaste, brush and a chart to record how many times a day we cleaned our teeth, signed by a parent, then take it to school. A bit of social history.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I don't really know what happens in the UK these days but as a kid in England back in the days of Yor there was a big push by Goverments for kids to practice oral hygiene, we were given Gibbs toothpaste, brush and a chart to record how many times a day we cleaned our teeth, signed by a parent, then take it to school. A bit of social history.
The thread is a kind of double whammy insult, many Australians don't like to acknowledge the counties British ties and then then there is bundling Aussies in with the decades old British rotten teeth stereotype. I believe dental care changed significantly in the 1970's in Aus,UK,NZ, I "assume" it was better in the States in the decades prior hence where this comes from.

At least the OP doesn't 't have a 1 post count I suppose :P

Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Advert Museum - Gibbs Toothpaste
This is the stuff that was issued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand