Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 PM

47 posts, read 260,607 times

Advertisements

As I'm sure you all know americans are quite keen on their military. Service members often get thanked for their service in public. I was wondering if it's the same in Australia and New Zealand? How do people react when they find out that you served in the Australian or New Zealander Military or that you served in a war zone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Well THIS Aussie would think it's just another job, it brings out about as much emotion as I would get if I was meeting a solicitor or teacher.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellin View Post

If you like your Ancient Greek history, I would say Australians have an Athenian view of their military, while Americans can tend toward the Spartan view.
Yet we do take events like ANZAC day pretty seriously, and the legend of the Aussie Digger runs deep. But then, both of those are more about those who served, and less about the institutions they served in.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Yeah I'd say Australians have a fairly positive image of service people in general, even if they don't necessarily agree with the wars etc they fight in.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:25 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Yet we do take events like ANZAC day pretty seriously, and the legend of the Aussie Digger runs deep. But then, both of those are more about those who served, and less about the institutions they served in.
ANZAC day is an appropriate day to comemorate the lives of our war dead, however this "legend" is nothing more than yet another example of a awfully Aussie media beat up.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
ANZAC day is an appropriate day to comemorate the lives of our war dead, however this "legend" is nothing more than yet another example of a awfully Aussie media beat up.
I see it very differently. The "legend" has never really been about victories, or some view that they were "the best" (whatever that might mean). Rather it has in reality been about the sacrifice and comradery of ordinary soldiers, be they volunteers or conscripts, young or old, from poor or privileged backgrounds. I think that is definitely something worth remembering and celebrating.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellin View Post
Sure we take Anzac Day seriously, but have you been to America? The adoration for the military is something to behold - every day of the year. For example:

It is common for former military persons to spend their retirement wearing a cap or other clothing advertising their former unit or the ship they served on.

The wearing of the military gear is a cue for the younger generation to thank them for their service.

'Support our troops' signs and stickers are everywhere.
I was at a conference last year, where one of the motivational speakers was an Australian army veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. Judged by audience reaction, it was very easily the highest impact event on the whole (three day) conference program.

Aussies seem a lot more low key in how we express our thoughts on most things though; US style presidential primaries would appear way over the top here, and even broadcasts of NFL games here seem over done. Its only Victorian's passion for AFL where we'd come close.

I don't know if you remember the intense public anger a coupe of years ago when a presenter on a morning TV program showed disrespect towards an army veteran. Within a few days most sponsors had pulled their advertising and the show was cancelled by the network shortly after.

Last edited by Richard1098; 04-04-2014 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 10:41 PM

116 posts, read 169,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Well THIS Aussie would think it's just another job, it brings out about as much emotion as I would get if I was meeting a solicitor or teacher.
I agree with this.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:05 PM

130 posts, read 133,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonChigurh85 View Post
I agree with this.
Me as well and I'm a 4RAR vet. The Americans really go over the top with this thank you for your service, even if the bloke spent all his time in the Military postal service in the USA. Shall we say Americans are different, example they salute their warrant officers, saluting the Regimental Sergeant Major would end up with your arm torn off and beaten to death with the blunt end.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:16 PM

140 posts, read 278,346 times
+1
I'm not military, but I did work quite closely with them for most of my career and the differences between Aus and US military are quite interesting, both in the way they operate and wider society's attitude to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand