U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 03:26 AM

4,356 posts, read 6,330,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Sweet'n'sour, whether fish or pork, is almost always battered in my experience. I don't frequent those westernised old type of Chinese places that much anymore but I've been to my fair share.

Ah yes, fried ice cream...
It will be interest to know if they still serve it, Its been at least 2 decades since I have had any.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 03:27 AM

9,781 posts, read 18,572,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It will be interest to know if they still serve it, Its been at least 2 decades since I have had any.
Oh yes it's still common in Asian restaurants, not just Chinese.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Oh yes it's still common in Asian restaurants, not just Chinese.
Cant say i have ever seen it on the menu of a Korean restaurant

Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Cant say i have ever seen it on the menu of a Korean restaurant
I've seen it in Chinese, Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese and even Japanese restaurant but no, don't think I've seen it in a Korean restaurant either.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I've seen it in Chinese, Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese and even Japanese restaurant but no, don't think I've seen it in a Korean restaurant either.
According to Wiki Fried Ice Cream is american anyway.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
According to Wiki Fried Ice Cream is american anyway.
Yes, well I mean ice cream in general is I think (at least the modern form), it was invented around the time the ice cream cone was during the St Louis' World Fair. Wonder how it became associated with Asian cuisine.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,268,375 times
danielsa1775- since your location says Brisbane... try the Fried Ice Cream at Wok On Inn on Racecourse Road in Ascot. They uesd to have the best Fried Ice Cream, especially if you get it with the Caramel Sauce!

Their food other than that wasn't up to much though.

Oh man, now you've all got me wanting Fried Ice Cream (pregnant again, I shouldn't be thinking about food haha).

Old 04-26-2014, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,265 times
I found it funny that Kiwi's don't even know what dim sims are.

Lemon chicken, and special fried rice i've never seen anywhere else quite the same as Australia.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
danielsa1775- since your location says Brisbane... try the Fried Ice Cream at Wok On Inn on Racecourse Road in Ascot. They uesd to have the best Fried Ice Cream, especially if you get it with the Caramel Sauce!

Their food other than that wasn't up to much though.

Oh man, now you've all got me wanting Fried Ice Cream (pregnant again, I shouldn't be thinking about food haha).
Thanks, I live on the South Side, and really have no reason to be in Ascot, might make a good hangover cure after the races one day

Congrats on the Second Baby, we have got a 6 month old at home, lots of fun for Dad.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM

991 posts, read 1,611,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The quality and flavour of these signature Australian-Chinese dishes also varies a lot, especially in country towns. When I go to Sydney -Hurstville area - it is much more reliable.
Honey chicken or prawns is also a mainstay usually deep fried like sweet n sour dishes, is usually much more consistent.
These days it really depends on who does the cooking. The old multi-generational local chinese take-away has often been sold to Chinese investors and they don't do the "traditional" fare as well. When I was growing up lots of family friends ran the local chinese take-away both in the city and the country and all the dishes were pretty consistent.

I forgot about the "honey" dishes. The American style is the "sesame" equivalent and all sweet n' sour batters and deep fries the "protein" and then ladels the sauce on top. Just don't skimp on the pineapple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand