U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:33 AM

33 posts, read 41,233 times

Advertisements

I notice that most soldiers are White Australians!
Is the military willing to hire Asian Australians as much as White Australians?
Do the soldiers dislike having Asian members in the forces?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 05:11 AM

947 posts, read 1,332,395 times
I don't know if Australia has a policy where immigrants who serve for a number of years can become a citizen.

That may have to do with the low number because there is a huge Asian illegal immigration problem into Australia with camps for the refugee immigrants often waiting years to get approved to come into Australia..

Old 04-19-2014, 05:22 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,056,565 times
The Australian army is pretty desperate to recruit anyone willing and able and as an organisation I think they'd be eager to recruit minorities; Asians have served in the armed forces since World War I.

That said I think my own sense of the Army generally is that it might not be inclusive of minorities and might have a "butch, white male brotherhood" grassroots culture. I think that perception whether largely true of not puts off a lot of people, particularly minorities and women.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:39 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,531,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky360 View Post
I notice that most soldiers are White Australians!
Is the military willing to hire Asian Australians as much as White Australians?
Do the soldiers dislike having Asian members in the forces?
Your question could be turned around 180 degrees. Why do so few Asian Australians want to join the military?

I suspect there are some strong cultural issues at work here. Fairly recent immigrant groups like the Vietnamese, Laotians and Cambodians possibly see the military through their own cultural lens...which may not be that positive given the recent history of those countries. Perhaps ethnic Chinese from countries like Malaysia and Singapore would rather their children became lawyers, doctors or dentists than professional soldiers? I've certainly heard traces of those types of views from Asian Australians I've met over the years. But then, I have seen Asian Australians in uniform form time to time.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:42 AM

9,781 posts, read 18,491,243 times
I assume the OP is referring to Asian Australian citizens?

I don't think there's anything preventing them from joining. Australia is generally pretty good when it comes to discrimination at this level. The actual army culture might be different, though.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Your question could be turned around 180 degrees. Why do so few Asian Australians want to join the military?

I suspect there are some strong cultural issues at work here. Fairly recent immigrant groups like the Vietnamese, Laotians and Cambodians possibly see the military through their own cultural lens...which may not be that positive given the recent history of those countries. Perhaps ethnic Chinese from countries like Malaysia and Singapore would rather their children became lawyers, doctors or dentists than professional soldiers? I've certainly heard traces of those types of views from Asian Australians I've met over the years. But then, I have seen Asian Australians in uniform form time to time.
Similarly, how many Asian AFL players are there? There are even African AFL players. There are far more Asian Australians than Africans, yet no Asian Australian footy players?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,761,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Similarly, how many Asian AFL players are there? There are even African AFL players. There are far more Asian Australians than Africans, yet no Asian Australian footy players?
Are you asking a question or making a statement? Asians don't care for sport. They're not really physical, so I can understand why few join the army.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Are you asking a question or making a statement? Asians don't care for sport. They're not really physical, so I can understand why few join the army.
Come on, seriously? That's the best you can come up with? Plenty of athletic Asians who are passionate about playing and following sport. Many are very physically active etc. The reasons why they don't play professional sport are probably quite complex, a mix of social and other factors.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 AM

25,058 posts, read 25,684,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well, that is probably because Asians tend to have smaller framed bodies than Africans and Whites. At 176cm, I certainly would not play or survive in any type of AFL/rugby/NFL game

Old 04-19-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well, that is probably because Asians tend to have smaller framed bodies than Africans and Whites. At 176cm, I certainly would not play or survive in any type of AFL/rugby/NFL game
I know many large-framed, tall Asians. My own cousin (full Asian btw) is 6'3", although a bit of a beanpole lol. I'm your height and I have quite a few male cousins taller than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand