Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 06:46 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,146 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone,

I live in Hawaii, and am working with a partner based in Brisbane to import Hawaiian Coffees into Australia. I have several questions that I'm having trouble finding the answers to on the Australian Gov't Customs/import pages, and was hoping that some of you may have some knowledge on the subject.

-I've read that green coffee needs to have a valid certificate of fumigation (using Methyl Bromide), but the information was several years old, is this still true?

-What packaging is required for green/roasted coffee?

Is there any special licensing required for importing green and/or roasted coffees?

-What are import taxes on Green/Roasted Coffee?

-What forms and paperwork are required for Roasted and/or Green Coffee?

-Any other information that may be useful? I, and my partner, will continue our research, but I'd rather have a clear direction, and some information from people who have gone through the process instead of going with the 'trial and error' method..

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 PM

According to the AUS customs page:

Importing Goods by Post

There is no tax on shipments valued under A$1000. Is there a time frame on this? It seems as though I can just ship $900 worth of coffee over and over again and not pay import tax?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:08 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
According to the AUS customs page:

Importing Goods by Post

There is no tax on shipments valued under A$1000. Is there a time frame on this? It seems as though I can just ship $900 worth of coffee over and over again and not pay import tax?
No, there's no time frame. I could be wrong, but I think if your partner is registered for GST then they will need to pay GST before the goods are released, even though the importation is under the limit.

Your other questions are fairly specific and probably best answered by a customs broker, or by giving Customs a ring.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,930 times
If I gave you an answer, would you base business decisions on it?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
If I gave you an answer, would you base business decisions on it?
An answer to which questions? And yes, we are trying to do business legally.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:26 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
An answer to which questions? And yes, we are trying to do business legally.
I think she's saying that you're asking some pretty specific legal questions and would you really want to make business decisions based on the uninformed opinions of an IBB. Not that I'm uninformed of course!

Doesn't your guy in Brissy know the answer to these things?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 AM

834 posts, read 1,218,536 times
Can't talk about AUS or NZ in particular.

Hawaiian green coffee is shipped in 100 lbs burlap bags. They are palletized and wrapped in thin clear plastic. Consolidated freight shipping is the most cost efficient method. DHX Hawaii would be my first choice or, if you have a discounted rate, FEDEX FREIGHT.

All Hawaiian coffee has to be labelled by grade and origin ( i.e. Kauai, Kona, Ka'u). This is done by a sewn in the bag, rip proof, paper tag by the dry miller and then stamped by the HDOA inspector. The HDOA has supposedly new rules about shipping green coffee out of state, check with them. Then double check. Green coffee has to methyl bromided when shipped to other coffee growing regions (AUS is one).

If you want to export cheap(er) Kauai beans you'll be below the $900 per 100 lbs bag. If you plan on shipping Kona, you are looking at a price range depending on grade btw US$ 1,700 to 2,200 per 100 lbs.

The HDOA Economic Development branch gives courses and tips in regard of exporting to various countries. May even hook you up with interested buyers. The paper work, insurances, customs brokers is a handful to get used to. Many hands are being held open (legally) to get the process going and smoothed out. That will influence your profit margin, so be careful about the price you promise before you don't know the whole scope!

But be aware that you need a consistent supply of coffee, which is not easy to get every season! Unless you look at Kauai coffee and maybe Maui coffee (the machine harvested kine). And that's the reason why not many attempt what you plan to do or failed. All Kona is sold every year, and often there are shortages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand