Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:01 AM

823 posts, read 1,055,985 times

Advertisements

I think 72 and sunny is giving you some pretty sound, current advice. I am a NZer married to a US citizen, two children, lived in NZ for 9 years, moved back to US 2 years ago. Compared to anywhere in the US, including Los Angeles where we are, New Zealand is significantly more expensive. For everything. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but be aware that it will be every bit as expensive as you think it's going to be.

I agree also about the heating issue. Yes, some places have heat pumps, but they are not cheap to run at all. Everyone I know who has one is extremely judicious in their use because they are expensive to run. If you don't have that, then you are back to heating rooms, not heating the house. We lived in Auckland, with no fireplace or gas heating, and we had several months each year where the power bill was close to $500.

There are many good reasons to live in NZ, money just isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:29 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
We lived in Auckland, with no fireplace or gas heating, and we had several months each year where the power bill was close to $500.

That's probably about right, I remember paying around $400-500 per month during winter when Electricity was around 22 cents per KWh (from memory) and that's with controlled but not overly frugal use. Its something close to $1 per hour to run both split systems or a decent ducted unit running at 100% which should not occur if sized correctly.

Having said that my power bill is no better here in Brissy at 29 cents per KWh and running ducted aircon in summer, the USA is amongst the cheapest developed country for power prices, this graph will make Kiwis and Aussies feel sick.

http://www.eia.gov/electricity/month...m?t=epmt_5_6_a

Old 11-02-2014, 01:43 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
I think 72 and sunny is giving you some pretty sound, current advice. I am a NZer married to a US citizen, two children, lived in NZ for 9 years, moved back to US 2 years ago. Compared to anywhere in the US, including Los Angeles where we are, New Zealand is significantly more expensive. For everything. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but be aware that it will be every bit as expensive as you think it's going to be.

I agree also about the heating issue. Yes, some places have heat pumps, but they are not cheap to run at all. Everyone I know who has one is extremely judicious in their use because they are expensive to run. If you don't have that, then you are back to heating rooms, not heating the house. We lived in Auckland, with no fireplace or gas heating, and we had several months each year where the power bill was close to $500.

Our power bill in Auckland for a month was the same as it is for a quarter here in Australia, and that was before we had a PV system put in. Our main source of heating in NZ was a Jetmaster wood burning fire that cost around $5,000 to buy and get installed. Back in the UK having an open fire was a novelty, in NZ it was a necessity. Here? I don't need one.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,399 times
70K $NZD basically means about 1050$ per week in hand.

If rent about 400-500 per week, looks like it will be enough to support family but not more than that. However Seniors Linux admins/engineers in high demand here, not many vacancies but when you can find it - you can have good salary, as it seems many Linux Seniors leaving to Australia )))

Old 11-07-2014, 04:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
Depends on the house and depends on what you consider cheaply. A typical (sixties-ish) Kiwi house is sort of a rectangular box, built on piles (a raised foundation, sort of like short stilts). To an American eye, they might look like kit or manufactured homes. A house like that needs insulation (floor and ceiling)--pretty cheap, especially with government grants. In wall insulation is a novelty. Windows are probably not worth doing, the cost to payback just doesn't exist. A cheaper alternative is to have all the cracks around the windows and doors sealed. The home probably has an old wood burning fireplace. It's now non-compliant with new air quality regulations. Put in a new one (say $5k...maybe $700 off that paid with government money), or add a couple of heatpumps for about the same cost; that at least will give your place a little ventilation. Don't forget, none of these things are free (or even inexpensive to operate), unless you have a free wood supply, but even that comes at a huge cost.

If the house you are starting with is something other than that basic Kiwi design, modernising it quickly become an extravagance. Irregular floor plan: suddenly you need a multi room heatpump--that starts at $10k (and heat pumps are only supposed to last 10 years). Insulation in the floor becomes difficult if your house is actually built on a normal foundation. Beautiful bay windows to take advantage of the view? You'll have to get by with heavy curtains to keep the heat in.

Once again, I don't mean to sound like I'm disagreeing with everything you say. Anything can be modernized and made warm, but you're telling the OP he (she?) Has to buy a home and fix it up. That takes renting off the table.

OP: Buy all means move here. The adventure of living in a foreign country alone is worth it. Your income is enough to at least get by, and if you're outside Auckland, Wellington, or Christchurch, it will only be a mild struggle. But the struggle will be things like living in a home that is less than comfortable, actually having to consider what you buy in a supermarket, and saving for retirement.
It all comes down to making the right decisions. Either buy a warm house, or include the cost of making the house warm, or a part of price negotiations/ bank loans.

Buying a house is a huge investment for most people, and buying a cold house that will cost to either upgrade, or keep warm, doesn't make much sense. Plenty of homebuyers don't invest enough time/effort/money into understanding what they're buying.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:44 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It all comes down to making the right decisions. Either buy a warm house, or include the cost of making the house warm, or a part of price negotiations/ bank loans.

Buying a house is a huge investment for most people, and buying a cold house that will cost to either upgrade, or keep warm, doesn't make much sense. Plenty of homebuyers don't invest enough time/effort/money into understanding what they're buying.
I agree with you. I think some of the problem is that people don't appreciate how expensive it is to insulate and warm up a house in New Zealand. Many people coming from Britain, like myself, are used to dirt cheap prices in our DIY stores. Also, I don't think us Brits realise beforehand that plumbing and wiring cannot legally be DIY'd in NZ so we forget to add in the cost of labour. In one of our houses in the UK we put in a complete hot water central heating system (soldered copper pipework, radiators, combi boiler etc) ourselves and got a CORGI registered mate to connect the boiler to the gas supply when we'd finished.

Even something as simple as tiling a shower is fraught with problems because of water proofing requirements. It's all because it's a different set of rules when you're dealing with timber framed houses and a more humid climate.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
I agree with you. I think some of the problem is that people don't appreciate how expensive it is to insulate and warm up a house in New Zealand. Many people coming from Britain, like myself, are used to dirt cheap prices in our DIY stores. Also, I don't think us Brits realise beforehand that plumbing and wiring cannot legally be DIY'd in NZ so we forget to add in the cost of labour. In one of our houses in the UK we put in a complete hot water central heating system (soldered copper pipework, radiators, combi boiler etc) ourselves and got a CORGI registered mate to connect the boiler to the gas supply when we'd finished.

Even something as simple as tiling a shower is fraught with problems because of water proofing requirements. It's all because it's a different set of rules when you're dealing with timber framed houses and a more humid climate.
Materials would be more expensive in NZ than the UK, but should be still factored into any negotiation/loan.

Most electrical work can be done on a DIY basis, with a lesser range of plumbing work. Tiling a shower is a more expensive option, which highlights what is often a problem- lack of priority. If warmth is the goal, and money a restraint, then people should stick to just the basics until such time as further renovations are affordable. As much as I like the idea of water radiators, such systems are an overkill for most of NZ

I don't think the problem lies with homeowners, as there is always a way and means to remedy the problem, and if it really is unaffordable, then selling the house is an option. It's rental property owners where the bulk of the problem lies. Until rental properties are required to meet a higher standard, change will be slow.

Last edited by Joe90; 11-07-2014 at 08:08 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 PM

59 posts, read 82,989 times
Living in Auckland is much cheaper than living in Sydney or London from this you can understand how cheap it is in new Zealand.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:07 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshpulihora View Post
Living in Auckland is much cheaper than living in Sydney or London from this you can understand how cheap it is in new Zealand.
But aren't industrial products, furniture, health insurance, etc. generally more expensive in NZ than those two countries? You've also got to take into account the limited job opps. in NZ.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:03 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
But aren't industrial products, furniture, health insurance, etc. generally more expensive in NZ than those two countries? You've also got to take into account the limited job opps. in NZ.
I think general living costs are cheaper in NZ, while the buy occasionally items are cheaper in Aus, but mind due where in Australia or NZ are we comparing?, Hobart is cheaper to live in than Sydney and Invercargill cheaper than Auckland!

At the end of the day there are more job opportunities in larger centres BUT more competition and higher costs, Aus still has the edge but there are other other quality of life factors to consider over just money alone, long commute times are unpaid for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand