Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,908 times

Advertisements

This silly article in Stuff made me laugh this morning. It's obviously meant in jest as some of these word/phrases aren't really used that much How to speak 'Strayan | Stuff.co.nz Sheilas and drongos? I think not more like chicks and derros these days.

Quote:
"Aussies are so lacking in imagination that instead of coming up with a unique name for their portable coolers, they named them after the dominant brand"
Beats calling them chully buns I suppose . But it's no different from us Brits and Americans calling vacuum cleaners "hoovers" that's not so much lacking imagination as stating the obvious (see chilly bins). This type of criticism is unusual from Kiwis as they usually proud of their own predilection for calling a spade a spade, as are Australians.

What are your favourite 'Strayan and Kiwi colloquialisms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:47 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Jandals are something the kiwis are particularly proud of, eh bro?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
This silly article in Stuff made me laugh this morning. It's obviously meant in jest as some of these word/phrases aren't really used that much How to speak 'Strayan | Stuff.co.nz Sheilas and drongos? I think not more like chicks and derros these days.

Beats calling them chully buns I suppose . But it's no different from us Brits and Americans calling vacuum cleaners "hoovers" that's not so much lacking imagination as stating the obvious (see chilly bins). This type of criticism is unusual from Kiwis as they usually proud of their own predilection for calling a spade a spade, as are Australians.

What are your favourite 'Strayan and Kiwi colloquialisms?
I've never heard an American say hoover for a vacuum cleaner in general, and I lived here my whole life. Anyway, my favorite would be Fosters isn't Australian

Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
BBC News - Australian slang: Your favourite examples

Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I have never heard these ones.

As crook as Rookwood -
Face like a dropped pie
Firies
Full as a centipede's sock drawer -
Go off like a frog in a sock
He needs that like a third armpit
He played a Barry
Kangaroos loose in the top paddock -
Like a mad woman's breakfast
Like a shag on a rock
Mad as a meat-axe
May your chooks turn into emus and kick your dunny door down
Neck oil
Popular as a rattle snake in a lucky dip
Two-pot screamer
Up and down like a bride's nightie / up and down like a dunny seat

Old 06-25-2014, 04:23 PM

140 posts, read 278,394 times
I haven't heard of most of your list, but firies (firefighters) is very common. More common that firefighters IME.
I have been compiling my personal mental list of lesser-known vocab differences between Australia and the US, usually discovered the hard way. Here's a sample (AU/US).
Tip/landfill
Lift/elevator
Fortnight/two-weekly
Maccas/Macdonalds
Burger or sub etc/sandwich
Soft drink/soda OR pop, but never sodapop

Most recent Australian colloquialism I've had to explain: Buckley's - when asked what our chances were in the World Cup.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Firies is very common around these parts too.

Good list jehane, especially the fortnight/two-weekly. Another one I have to double check on is when some people say next week and mean the week after next. Some people do it whilst others don't so it can get confusing at times.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Kangaroos loose in the top paddock -
haha I'm loving that one

Old 06-26-2014, 01:51 PM

140 posts, read 278,394 times
Another AU/US difference just encountered at lunch: cutlery/silverware

Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 PM

Manchester/linen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand