Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Is not most of Australia's mortgage belt conservative? Most Locals living in the Brisbane area consider Brisbane to be the city of Brisbane.
What you are referring to is the terms Urban or Metro, terms commonly used in the US. I consider as far as the Sunshine and Gold Coasts as greater Brisbane as they are realistically commutable and people do, although I wouldn't want to do it :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 06:37 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Is not most of Australia's mortgage belt conservative? Most Locals living in the Brisbane area consider Brisbane to be the city of Brisbane.
You're right, I study there and it is literally the area covered by Brisbane City Council. I live on the sunny coast hinterland which is very different to the city. Brisbane for me starts when I get to the M3/Gympie arterial road. Driving north out of Brisbane it is very noticeable as soon as you get to dual carriageway (and leave the decent 3 lane motorway behind you) that you're out in the sticks, that's not an unpleasant feeling though.

Last edited by Samuel,J; 07-12-2014 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 10:54 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times
I never got the impression Brisbane was redneck. Really suburban. A little boring maybe. I do have a drunk, bogan neighbour who will sit out on her patio and listen to country music at 2am, and if you ask her to turn it down she'll scream at you for 20 minutes, but it's not enough to make me call the whole city redneck.

It's pretty clear what all of the locals think of Ipswich and Logan though. But the preferred term there is bogan. When I hear people talk about rednecks it's usually reserved for someplace like Toowoomba or up north, well past the Sunny Coast.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I never got the impression Brisbane was redneck. Really suburban. A little boring maybe. I do have a drunk, bogan neighbour who will sit out on her patio and listen to country music at 2am, and if you ask her to turn it down she'll scream at you for 20 minutes, but it's not enough to make me call the whole city redneck.

It's pretty clear what all of the locals think of Ipswich and Logan though. But the preferred term there is bogan. When I hear people talk about rednecks it's usually reserved for someplace like Toowoomba or up north, well past the Sunny Coast.
Pretty much agree, I have been to Brisbane multiple times over a few decades.

My impression is Brisbane was always happy to act as a gateway to the Gold Coast or Northern attractions. There was never really a lot to do in Brisbane, it was always a little boring.

In more recent years Brisbane has seemingly found its own feet. As for "Redenck wonderland", I just see that as Stuff.co.nz stereotyping and crap journalism (what a surprise), its all about click counts with that POS news site that incidentally is Australian owned last time I checked

Old 07-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Actually How Brisbane stopped being a redneck wonderland was published in the Sydney Morning Herald 4 days before it was syndicated to Stuff. It was written by Daniel Scott, a British expat, who is a travel writer for the paper, I suppose it was encouraged by the Brisbane tourist board to prompt Australian tourism to the city. Search Results | Travel.

He's written some good stuff, I love his piece about Brighton. More than the usual *kiss me quick* article that gets written about the town. Not my choice for a beach holiday, I preferred the beaches of west Wales and Dorset, but very much a destination for Londoners.

Quote:
And to those, like me, who grew up in landlocked London in the 1970s and '80s, Brighton was the seaside, the escape route from urban grind.

Brighton was where I was whisked when the summer holidays dragged on, where I "romanced" my inaugural girlfriend in a Fawlty Towers-like seafront hovel, and where I first saw Genesis, when lead singer Phil Collins was not yet naff.

As a young adult it was also where I scurried when everything went to crap, as if the sea air could, as doctor Richard Russell had claimed back in 1750, turning Brighton overnight into a fashionable resort, cure all ailments - including middle-class neurosis and writer's block.

In that respect, I have something in common with novelist Graham Greene, whose best-known work, Brighton Rock, is set in the city.

"In the old days when I was stuck," remembered Greene in 1986, "I always went to Brighton to get on with a book."

The Cricketers pub, Greene's "favourite resort". Photo: Daniel Scott

Although Greene's visits were four decades earlier than mine, the same sleaziness and criminality that attracted him to Brighton remained, loitering around the bohemian fringes of its wholesome seaside image.
I've noticed there's a lot of anti-Stuff.co.nz comment on r/newzealand but most of it is unfounded.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post

I've noticed there's a lot of anti-Stuff.co.nz comment on r/newzealand but most of it is unfounded.
Stuff is a low quality news site, unfortunately they are inclined to publish poorly research unbalanced opinion blogs that make claims with no balance or factual data. There are some well written articles but its important not to mistake blogs as factual NEWS which some people tend to do.

The "Redneck Wonderland" piece is far from the worst example, its harmless, however they could have done without the title imo.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 PM

It's not Conde Nast but let's not get a travel report mixed up with news here

Like most travel reports its aim is to sell the destination, which is why they usually have a favourable slant. I like Brisbane, just the right size, great place to work and study with lots to do. Love it. Redneck it ain't, which is rather the point of his article.

Daniel Scott is a good journalist and writes well, must be his British education. The boy done well.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:08 PM

28 posts, read 32,704 times
I think something about Brisbane is that it feels very suburban - even in the inner city areas. I was looking around New Farm on google maps, and while I think it's a really pretty area I was struck by how suburban it looked. I think not having large stretches of terrace houses like in Sydney and Melbourne give Brisbane's inner neighbourhoods a very suburban, low density feel.

That said, I think the Queenslander "tin and timber" houses are lovely and I think one of the strengths of the city is that it's heritage architecture does have a unique feel to it.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 PM

Yes and one that they're trying very hard to preserve. That's one of the city's many charms. Some of my favourite areas are St Lucia and West End, hard to believe you're in a city sometimes when there's places like this around you

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...02a35af3de9920

Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 PM

28 posts, read 32,704 times
That looks so pretty! I go to UQ but I hardly ever really explore St. Lucia outside the campus which is something I should rectify. I'm more familiar with Hill End and Highgate Hill on the other side of the river, both of which are really nice. I'm also a big fan of the hillier suburbs like Paddington and Red Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand